!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers Letters Alphebet Soup Whatever

I have a long time passion with accuracy and detail motorcycle numbers. I know good from bad number jobs. It is obvious when number bosses are modified, grinding down or building up metal will always give away modifications or out right alterations. That being said these engine cases came to me with the numbers you see in the following photos and the cases were in excellent condition other than the scratches in the otherwise untouched metal surface finishes. The current polish on the cases was done in my shop from what was an original finish
    In my travels some of the cases I have inspected have had numbers dashed out from the factory and another number stamped adjacent to it. I also have inspected numbers where the stamp was inverted and re-stamped over it. Transposed numbers are a problem, and were re-stamped over top of the errored first stamp. I currently know of two original paint unmolested 1913 twins with these very same problems in their numbering.
    This 1914 engine case in question has not been modified. I was told that the H stood for fortruck, A three wheeler with two wheels and a basket or box of some sort in front (True or false I don't know). If no other provable explanation can be provided it is my opinion that the H prefix was stamped by an individual that was inflicted by dyslexia and you guys have busted your heads for no other reason other than to dispel a myth.
    All is ok with the cases they showed no signs of repair or modification when I purchased them. The only damage was a minor crack in one motor mount hole and has already been taken care of as demonstrated earlier in this article. Relax a little and allow me to get this program rolling again. Thanks for entertaining yourselves and hanging around in my absence.
    Joe 03-08-2010

Comment

• Good to have ya back Joe!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Disappearing Act

My new computer hit its time limit and most of the pre-installed software died. So the best thing to do was split for Florida and post from a remote computer. That only works if you remember your password, I didn't.
        Daytona was cold and a little wet. Eustis Fl. AMCA meet was a good place to be as I was able to locate and purchase some important parts. Found was four NOS Splitdorf spark plugs, two clutch linkage parts and a magneto in a pair tree. Also a gear chest and a brake backing plate arrived in my absence. The brake plates in the following photos are apparently from 1981/1982 Honda XR 250 or 500 R dirt bikes. These brakes are small enough to not be out of place yet being dual leading shoe they should give sufficient braking power and acceptable safety.
        The important part found was the original paint magneto, although it is not for this bike project it will be instrumental in an upcoming bike build. Hint this is an unusual open frame closed end magneto possibly a half year item.
        I spent three days at Eustise, two days at the speed way for AHRMA vintage racing (won the parade lap with the 63 Duo Glider), had dinner at Rockys annual ocean view event (Thanks Rock and Tony), Had Lunch at Doc B's annual and a great time a Doc Mc's food fest with the Night Hawks playing excellent music all night. Dinner at Cracker Barrel, a superb Rainbow Trout gave up his life for my nourishment.
        The kids at the Limp Nicky (Spelling???) skate board park were a blast to watch along with the accompanying bike show.
        Brad at ZON ( http://zen-of-neato.blogspot.com/sea...max-results=50 ) showed with his not so trusty slightly rusty 39 Big twin Flatty and kept things interesting while constant repairs were made to keep it running. Ignition and carburation problems easy fixes. Reminder to Brad, don't mix racing fuel with ethel (chemical reaction) and don't over torque the condenser wire nut, it twists the entire stud and shorts out under the circuit breaker points plate.
        The Indian breakfast vastly improved and relocated to a new location in Ponce Inlet set up a good ride for about thirty antique bikes. Some of the best time was spent with the Kids both Matts (Olsen and McManus ) and Mark Hill brought a new batch of four future antique biker kids. We light the fire of Indian Harley rivalries and had to much fun pouring gas on those flames.
        A six month pregnant waitress asked if I would like some milk on my oatmeal, my response was Fresh Squeezed please she smiled ( was I out of line? ) She brought back some milk and told be it was cold just like her heart, we all had a good laugh. All in all a great time was had now its time to get caught up with work and get back on the cannonballer machine.
        Joe 3-8-2010
        Last edited by Slojo; 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• I'm a little jealous of your cold weather break. It's a blinding snowstorm out tonight and I've got a bad case of spring fever!!! Looks like you got some good stuff in Florida!!

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Lonnie
              That package truck must be it? It would be nice to see if the number-side corresponds with theory.

Back to Daytona, Fun in the partial sun, time spent with good ole friends, new friends made, motorcycles and parts everywhere, a great running Duo Glider that just would not say no to a friendly kick, about ten tanks worth of 87 octane burned, excellent motorcycle racing on dirt and asphalt, riding on the famed tri-oval race track, great music, good food and conversations, the sound of a $ 75,000 Ducati desmo deciece (spelling?) if you never have herd one of these street version Moto GP race replica bikes you would not understand (four cylinders sixteen valves thirty two desmo rocker arms and one mean sound, pursue it), meeting some of you that are reading and or participating in this article, scantly clad and bundled up ladies, I could go on and on, what else could one ask for???
              Joe

Comment

• Check out the hip waders on the package truck rider!

I guess it is time for me to eat a little crow here. After seeing a good closeup of the side numbers in conjunction with the belly numbers, they sure appear factory. I still am a little perplexed with the H prefix. The numbers must have been stamped on a Friday with the skewing, but I suppose anytime you enter in the human element, you enter in variables.

Comment

• Back on the job

The cam gear chest that showed up last week made it through the parts cleaner and the supersonic tank (Ultrasonic for those who don't speak Slojo yet). This tank deep cleans surfaces and is the best system I know of for preparing engine parts for assembly. Inspection of the cleaned aluminum part shows several cracks originating from the point where the end of the pinion shaft was bumping against the inside of the gear chest. The thrust from the flywheels was not being controlled by thrust surfaces inside the crankcase so the control of thrust became the responsibility of the end of the pinion shaft and the gear chest...not good. A replacement cover in now being pursued, anyone out there able to help?
                  A trip to the spring shop resulted in a fresh set of fork inner rebound springs remanufactured off an original spring borrowed from Mark Masa, thank you Mark. In addition to the coil springs a couple flat springs were also made and are now at the Sun heat treat facility for tomorrows pick up, great service.
                  After the heat treat stop a trip to the east side of Detroit resulted in the acquisition of 36 feet of 3/8 round CRS 4140 pre-heat treated to 35 on the Rockwell C scale. This steel will be used for all Fillister and round head "MACHINE" screws and the preheat treat will give the steel the tuff strength and improved machining characteristics. The screws will be just as original yet will be equivalent to a grade eight bolt in strength. The current batch of modern screws are cold headed and thread rolled in an instant, a good process just not right for an antique motorcycle. Since contemporary cold heading process was not used in modern production until around the second big argument that lead us to the nuclear age, machined screws are necessary for an accurate depiction of the period. Further-more the modern Chinese hardware is not quite up to my standards.
                  Joe 3-9-2010

Comment

• Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Twist and Shout

Today was yet another day pushing metal to where it should be but does not want to go. I installed an axle in the front fork rockers and found the axle not aligned with the rocker studs even though the rocker studs are on the same center line.What I had was a parallelogram condition of the two front spring fork poles.
                      When this fork was purchased it was terribly bent out of shape.
                      With the fork fixtured firmly, tools made, heat and torque applied the fork gave way to my persistence. No doubt tomorrow, after a full inspection more twisting and shouting will take place before the fork is finally aligned. I also found misalignment in the main fork between the two horizontal structures this is the strongest section of the fork and requires a tremendous amount of force to move it.
                      Joe 3-11-2010

Comment

• Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Tuning Fork

Making the rear frame rails was a walk in the park compared to straitening out the pretzel of a front fork I have for this bike. I like dealing with absolutes such as numbers better than abstracts like a twisted piece of metal that eventually must become an absolute.
                          Previously a couple weeks work into the fork left me with the impression that it was ready for action, NOT EVEN.... This has become the most challenging component in the project to date. The twisted bent warped misaligned mess is now becoming understood and near aligned.
                          There are many features that must come into focus simultaneously, achieving these conditions is a challenge. After finding the issue with the front spring fork becoming a parallelogram and then determining how to rectify this type of condition progress became apparent. Binding and finish alignment issues are all that is left.
                          Smooth operation is a priority along with axle alignment in two axis when the fork travel is both extended and compressed. For the moment bind free operation is achieved, the alignment through the entire motion of the rockers is the problem.
                          Originally the assembly of this fork was for set up, test purposes only. A rocker stud hole in the main fork was drilled over size by a previous owner and over looked this caused a little trouble , fortunately I found the problem before chasing my tail became an issue. Once the hole was welded shut and re-drilled alignments became one step closer to finish.
                          Working on the surface table with set up blocks and dial indicators illustrates exactly the condition of alignment and leaves no question of weather it is right or wrong.
                          Since I enjoy riding hands free often on long motorcycle trips attention to detailed alignment is necessary.
                          Joe 3-12-2010

Comment

• Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Very cool and interesting Joe, I did some work on my Scout's rockers and forks. Made rocker shafts and bushings. The careful attention to detail and all the check's to make sure quite cool. Never even thought about checking all those things. I was just glad the tire looked centered and that I did not feel any binding. My forks were in pretty good shape though. Its neat to see, how it should be done.

Comment

• Tom
                                The rockers and bushings are NOS, I will make my own rocker studs from a super allow that will be case hardened to 60 Rockwell C scale on the bearing surface only. This is done by carbonizing the exposed material desired to be case harden all other surface like the threads will be masked off to prevent the carbon atmosphere from entering the alloy much like water being absorbed into a sponge. This will keep the threads from becoming brittle.
                                The holes in the rockers are misplaced up to .010" and misaligned amounts greater than my indicator could read (.060) over a 4 inch range. I have decided to leave the holes as they are and bend the rocker to bring the holes parallel and on the same plane.
                                Each time I stretch or bend the fork the rocker studs go out of alignment so its much like a dog chasing his tail. This can be a bit frustrating yet not demoralizing as I am focused to make it right. I think back to my thirty or sixty day marathon (back in 2003 I don't remember the exact amount of time) where I took a decrepit 1911 double cylinder belt drive H.D. and turned it into a fine running steed for the ride to Milwaukee with Bruce and Calvin for the 100 year celebration of the Motor Company. An excellent ride worth all the effort as this one will be also. Even though the 1911 double performed near flawlessly after one final tweek it was not in condition for a run of this magnitude.
                                Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X