!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

I am building a 1914 twin cylinder single speed Harley Davidson for the upcoming 2010 cannon ball type rally and am looking for parts. Any parts for a 1914 twin HD are of interest. I would like to buy and or trade early teens to fifties vintage HD parts in order to acquire the necessary parts to complete this project.
    Specifically I require the following items.
    1) 14 rear wheel hub for a single speed, I believe this is a one year only part.
    2) Motor parts, cylinders and cam chest/gear chest with cover, also 14 only items.
    3) 1914 rear fender, 1916 -1923 J model front fender.
    4) Foot stuff, clutch and brake pedals including hardware to hang on the frame rods and brackets
    5) All 1914 twin HD parts will be interesting in case I have overlooked anything or the opportunity of an upgrade becomes available.

All leads will be appreciated. I am attempting to get this bike running in time for Daytona in order to get some shake down miles on it prior to summer.
    Joe
    734-755-2777
    okjgar@aol.com

Joe,

Do you mean you'll ride from Michigan to Daytona to shake it down?

This project sounds like a good one. These modern early bike riders have my respect and admiration. Joe rode a 1912 H-D twin on the 2003 trip from Ohio to Milwaukee with Bruce & Calvin and their 1905 and 1915 Harleys. (Do I have the year right, Joe? Was that a '12?) I tried to meet up with those guys after they got off the boat at Manitowac, but they were WAY ahead of me. Riding with them thru Milwaukee was also an eye-opener. Stop lights? What stop lights?

I was talking to Joe about this 1914 project and his build philosophy is interesting. By 1914 the rear hub and brake were heavy duty enough to sustain these kind of road miles without constant lube attention. He also plans to use slightly later forks which have more springs and are built more stoutly. Gonna use modern made tanks that can better take the vibration and road shocks over old soldered crack-apart originals. In other words, he's building this machine from scratch to match actual road conditions in order to make the entire cross-country trip on two wheels. He also figures the twin will have more sustained highway omph than a single, maybe do 40 mph or so. (Sort of reminds me of my old 45s).

Hope I'm not giving any of your secrets away, Joe, but this is real world knowledge of the early bikes that I personally don't have. Altho I have toyed with the idea of putting a 1913 single into a modern Jap dirt bike chassis for the heck of it. Probably never will.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

14 twin rally bike

Herb
      The bike I rode to Milwaukee in 2003 is a 1911 double cylinder the first year of double cylinder production and the oldest/lowest serial number 11 double running known to exist. I was late at getting it up and running for the entire Milwaukee 2003 event so I only ran the bike in Michigan and Wisconsin, I did not start the complete trip from Ohio.
      The old gas tanks typically have rust inside eating away at the steal and therefore the solder joints also, if the tanks were new old stock without the rust I would believe them fully capable of making such a trip. I will not ride the 14 from Michigan to Florida that is not the plan and if parts don’t start rolling in soon I will not be able to make the Florida shakedown trip with this bike at all, perhaps I will need to lower my standards on what gets used and what does not get used such as original versus reproduction and parts from years other than 14 such as the 16 and later fork actually 22/23 fork with the auxiliary spring kit Harley used on the 22/23 J models.

Comment

Joe, riding into Milwaukee must have been a real time trip! Good luck with the parts gathering. It would be great to see that '14 out on the road!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

The Hunt

Corey
          The ride in to Milwaukee 2003 was preceded by much hard work and parts searching. Every bit of the effort was paid back tenfold by the actual ride with Bruce and Calvin. Not being recognized by the Motor Company was of no real consequence as the event they put on for all of the people who ventured into Milwaukee to celebrate the 100th was incredible.
          I believe this rally will eclipse the Milwaukee event (one of my lives’s riding highlights) I intend to build the 14 twin with a high percentage of O.E.M. parts to give validity to the old stuff. I am afraid the bike will carry some improper year parts due to lack of availability of the original 14 parts. Parts deals are in process now, hopefully they will be fruitful.
          Joe

Comment

parts

An example of material for a possible trade, I have a 1912/1913 twin front cylinder that is N.O.S. I am willing to use it as leverage in trade for good 1914 cylinders. Other such interesting items are also possible; contact me with what you may need. If you have 1914 twin parts you can shake loose in order to help me out with this program I will be happy to reciprocate if I have something you can use for your ongoing bike projects from teens to fifties H.D..

Today was a good day I received a 1914 clutch pedal and frame bracket for the mounting of the clutch pedal and Fred Lang sent me an entire pedal-crank/drive-train assembly complete with eccentric chain adjuster and brake sprage clutch, an innovative way to solve a problem, what a beautiful assembly. Tomorrow I will be placing an order with Competition Distributing for some of the little necessary parts; Lonnie and I are involved in an exchange of parts that will benefit many bike builders in the future. Next is to finalize a deal on an original 1914 rear fender now in negotiations.
            Joe

Comment

Go Joe Go!
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

It sounds like things are already coming together for you Joe! Again best of luck!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Joe,

Sorry about adding a year to your 1911 double. I couldn't remember offhand the year, but thought I'd recall if it was a "first" year double. (First year of quantity production that is.) I'd like to add the serial number to my database. Can you PM it to me?

Since your Cannonball bike is going to be a runner (and how!) I wouldn't be terribly picky on what parts go into it. The fact that you'll be there and attempt to make this amazingly epic cross-continent run is pretty great in itself. This bike will be what it wants to be as Fate and the Harley gods determines what parts find their way to you. I'm sure it will look good.

Good luck!
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

Progress

I have several more opportunities coming my way in my quest for period parts. Today felt like my birthday as I opened a package with a 1915 original paint rear fender. I have a trade in the works for a 14 rear fender. I have located some 14 motor parts and am in process now trying to negotiate a deal on them. Another transaction for a 1916 front fender is about complete, it will fit perfectly on the 1916-1923 fork with wider stronger fork blades required for braking loads actually the fork is a 1923 J fork with the factory installed extra fork springs.
                    joe

Comment

Holy smokes! Things are moving right along for your project Joe! Thanks for keeping us posted. It will be interesting to watch this bike come together!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I can help with the following bits which with the exception of the clutch pedal are all NOS
                        Numbers quoted are as per the 1912-1918 HD parts book
                        1 x 91 AA729 Inlet lifter pin guide. 1912-16 Twins
                        2 x 429 DA872 Oil pump drive gear. 1915-18 Singles.
                        22x 495 Exhaust pipe nut ( 1 7/16 across the internal thread, 1 1/4 Ex pipe dia.)
                        3 x 669 EG662 Kick starter pedal rubber. 1916 only 3 speed models
                        1 x 786 DG632 Gear change gate ( 1 3/16 holes) 1915 3 speed models, Small tank caps
                        1 x 920 CK469 Clutch pedal. 1914-18 Clutch models. not suitable for gearbox models.
                        3 x 962 DG545 Clutch actuating cam split ring. All 3 speed models up to 1918
                        4 x 965 DG548 Clutch actuating cam link rod. All 3 speed models up to 1918
                        1 x 1576 CK101 Rear stand clip All 1913-16 models
                        1 x inlet cage 2 inch OD, 1 inch high, 27/32 cage seat to top face, 1 13/16 valve head dia, 9/32 valve stem dia.
                        1 pair 1915 cylinder barrels and yes they are NOS and they won't be cheap.
                        I'm prepared to trade or sell outright on all the above spares.
                        Contact me at p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz.
                        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777
                        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo

Wow…. thanks for the response on my parts request. I have already purchased a 1914 clutch pedal. The inlet lifter pins I have are like new so I won't require that item. The “1 x 1576 CK101 Rear stand clip All 1913-16 models” is interesting please give me a price on that item. Regarding The “1 x inlet cage 2 inch OD, 1 inch high, 27/32 cage seat to top face, 1 13/16 valve head dia, 9/32 valve stem dia.” I will require a little time to check if that is the valve pocket I need, I will know today and post again. Since I am using the 1914 engine cases I can only use 14 and earlier cylinders. I might have a need for the 15 cylinders as a trade for 14 cylinders may be possible so please quote me a price on the cylinders and the rear stand clip. All other items are not relevant to this project as it is a single speed machine, thank you very much for the response and please PM or e-mail a quote to me.
                          Joe

Comment

Early Christmas?

Joe,

What kind of brake are you putting on the front end of this "1914" long grind dream baby?

With all those vintage parts arriving you must feel like a kid at Christmas time.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                              Joe,

What kind of brake are you putting on the front end of this "1914" long grind dream baby?

With all those vintage parts arriving you must feel like a kid at Christmas time.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Joe,

I realise you have a fair amount of work to do to get the bike up and running for the cannon ball run,but if you get a chance I know I could be speaking for quite a few people we would really appreciate a photo now and then as the bike progresses.
                              Thanks in advance,Chuck
                              Chuck
                              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                              X