No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, I sent you a private message........
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Photos

The above photos depict progress on the project. #1 photo is all the linkages for the 1914, #2 photo is a shot of the steering head being sweat brazed to the frame rails, # 3 photo is the frame prior to welding ready for final assembly #4 photo is the finished product and #5 photo is a concurrent project, yes I do have my hands full. The log addition is attached to my 600 square foot log cabin I live in. The cabin is approximately 150 years old and is in good condition but renovation has been in progress for about 5 years, the addition started about a month age. Both the cabin and the addition are constructed from all hard woods, Red White and Black Oak, Hard and Soft Maple, Cherry, Hickory and Shaggy Bark Hickory. The larger logs in the addition were cut from my 30 acres the logs approximately one foot in diameter were brought in from a local site. The addition is being constructed in the same fashion as the original cabin construction and using the same style tools other that the use of a chain saw.
      Joe

Comment

The search continues

Louie
        Thanks for the lead, I e-mailed the source you sent me, I think this will be a good opportunity to acquire more 14 parts and help this guy with his requirements. Stay tuned. Joe

Comment

First Blood

Ouch…… while using a 4 inch abrasive slitting saw on a 90 degree angle grinder to do some rear fender work I became a little careless. You see, never bump your knuckle against the rotating wheel even when it is almost stopped. Actually I was setting the tool down when it slipped out of my hand allowing me to cut myself.
          Today was clean a build area in the shop day. The last two bike builds, both 19 48 pan projects including the 48 FL dual carb….. Modified ….. Period ….bike featured in American Iron magazine March 2009 and a stock black EL with dual exhaust.
          Purist quit reading now………… all others, stick around. After cleaning shop I opened a newly received box that came in this morning. A 1919 rear fender, this fender has the same roll shape as a 1914 fender yet is about an inch wider. I scribed the 1914 narrowed width on the rusty surface with a divider having a sharp point then used a hand held pneumatic shear to cut off the extra width, what a great tool. I then glass beaded the rust away. The braces were already missing so I welded shut all the extra holes in the fender, metal finished the welds smooth, knocked out all the dents, made the cut-outs for the frame clearance and old style fender brace clips, drilled the third hole for the frame mount hardware. The final outcome is an undetectable modification except, a 1914 rear fender that is a little short in the front where it mounts to the back side of the muffler. Tomorrow the short section will get resolved along with making the ¼ inch round fender braces. Progress is good.
          Joe

Comment

Hey Joe, there is an ad on Georges with some '14 parts you may be interested in. There are also some 14 parts on feebay right now.

How much are you asking for the 20J project?

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
              Hey Joe, there is an ad on Georges with some '14 parts you may be interested in. There are also some 14 parts on feebay right now.

How much are you asking for the 20J project?
              What is "Georges" you mention? Always lookign for new sources for old parts.
              Buzz Kanter
              Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
              [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
              [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Buzz -

http://www.georgesantiquemotorcyclet.../forsale3.html

Some guy in Colorado (George Pardos?) who publishes the anitque bikes and parts list per the link above.
                AMCA 15783

Comment

1914 Parts Georges

I have been in contact with the 1914 parts advertiser on Georges; he is heading out of town for a week and said he will get in touch with me when he returns. What is Feebay?
                  Joe

Comment

I'm thinkin' ebay...
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Leads on parts, thank you all

Today I secured a deal on a 1914 motor without the front cylinder or magneto. This motor was used for some type of agricultural application or something of the sort. The current owner says it has been stored in a time zone where nothing has hanged since the 20’s. The front cylinder hole is plated off, the ignition is by points and condenser mounted on the end of the cam cover so the cover is modified and the hole where the magneto shaft should enter the gear chest is damaged also (typical the aluminum is very thin at this point). At some point it appears the manual oil pump was removed from the oil tank and then attached to a can, then mounted on the side of the gear chest and plumed into the motor.
                      The gear chest and cylinders are 1914 components, one year only parts. If the 1914 rear cylinder is in as good condition mechanically as it appears cosmetically by photo, a front cylinder will be all that is required in the major missing components list and like a blood hound I have a couple opportunities in the works, hopefully one will develop into a deal. Thank you to all who have offered tips on locating these important parts.
                      In the shop today fabrication of the1/4 inch round stock rear fender braces was completed and then rejected. Tomorrow I will make a new and improved set out of 5/16 round stock like a 1915 has for the 3500 mile long hall. The 1/4 inch fender rods are known to break, unacceptable for this run.
                      Joe

Comment

Man, is it just me or is Joe just flying along with this project? Awesome! How's that knuckle mending?

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

There ain't anything slow about Joe on this project!

That log cabin addition sure looks period authentic. Is that for the bike or for Joe?

The "Gray Ghost Rider" team is a good name. You can bet that the spirits of old Bill Harley, the Davidsons, and other early timers are looking over his shoulder with a big collective smile while he builds this Special job for the Cannonball run. If they go thru Wisconsin I'll be sure to be somewhere along the route.

Has the final route been decided upon yet?

Edit: It looks like they are taking a more southern route and will not be passing thru Wisconsin or visiting Milwaukee, my neck of the woods.

(Joe sure doesn't want to talk about that front brake I'm wondering about. Now I'm also wondering what sort of lighting this Gray Ghost Special will have. 'Lectric? What kind?).
                            Last edited by HarleyCreation; 11-22-2009, 12:33 PM.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======
                            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

It looks like due to time constraints that the route is going to follow a southern route...

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/routes.shtml
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

The Ugly Truth

Thank you Cory for posting the photo documentary; now is not the time to update my system. Cory will continue to post photos as long as he is willing.
                                Sorry Herb you are getting ahead of me on your questions. For now the brakes and lighting will remain back seat, focus on the current (Disc brake up front, Lighting yet to be finalized).
                                Following this post Corey will be getting several more photos including a couple new views of the log cabin addition now in progress.
                                Today newly fabricated 1914/1915 highbred braces of 5/16 inch round stock were made and the 1/4 inch ones fabricated yesterday will be shelved.
                                Ah now for the ugly truth, the frame rear section had been repaired many decades ago and the repair was by brazing a broken lower left frame rail. This rail appeared to be filled solid with brass by the repair man of the time, it was not. Upon surgery I learned a solid slug of steel was inserted inside the frame rail by the factory for strengthening the week section it was insufficient for the task. T.I.G. welding or any other welding is not a viable solution for this brazed area so removal and fabrication of a new segment to fit into the frame will be necessary. Note in the last photo a solid slug of steel is still deep inside the frame rail, it was not part of the slug removed.
                                Notices, all who are interested in details on the Motorcycle Cannonball run that this bike is being built to compete in next September 2010 can go to Lonnie’s web site http://www.motorcyclecannonball Thanks for pointing this out Cory.
                                Joe
                                Last edited by Slojo; 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X