No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just returned from a little trip over the mountain and back..... here's the Pan......

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Slojo,
      Fantastic work on the project!
      Do I detect a slight crack forming at the pin location in that cam case bushing hole?
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Good Eye

Rubone
        The first thing I saw when looking at the pictures since Cory posted them is the possible crack. When the bushing came out with the cam the first thing I looked for was a crack in the area. In person or on my camera zoomed in the crack went un-detected. I have a bore scope that will allow me to get right in there and see the truth, which is probably a crack from past experience. Typically the crack goes straight for the cam bushing to the pinion shaft.
        Joe

Comment

• Flash

The 56 Hydra Glide is Flashes first bike restoration and my thoughts are he should have been doing them all along. He has worked on this project for less than a year and now is moving along well. His biggest restraint is probably cash flow. I think his greatest concern is getting the yellow flash painted on the fuel tank properly. The flash is a difficult design made more difficult by the compound arcs involved in the shape of the tank and the arc of the flash.
          Flash is working with the most basic of tools in his basement. I did not see any power tools, all the polishing and metal finishing is completed by hand. Like all of us he must redo some of his work to get it right but get it right seems to be his objective. Keep up the good work Flash.
          Joe

Comment

• Art work contest and activities continue, Gray Ghost image

First off, interest is starting to flow on the art work, thank you to those who have contacted me on this subject. I spent much of yesterday working on just this issue.
            My friend Badly is now working on the project although if you would like to give it a try I will be happy to see what you come up with. The previous cash offer stands and perhaps the stakes will be raised. Current thought is a ghostly figure in the shape of an old time rider with old time H.D. ridding hat or Tommo’s idea of a hood? No full face hood ah I mean helmet.
            The bearded Gray Ghost Rider will be on the 14 twin doing a stand up wheelie at speed with the wheels almost being non perceptive, just a wisp of circular wind and trails of the past following in his path (maybee used broken bike parts). Exaggerate the whiskers blowing in the wind. Preferred art work will be primarily outline pencil style with minimal shading on a gray background just the image of the Gray Ghost Rider not necessarily the hardware type of ghost but more software.
            I would like to borrow from Tommos idea again (good idea Tommo) of introducing a cannon into the art work but with a different take on the projectile. If we could depict the Gray Ghost Rider and bike being shot out of the cannon it would be fantastic. A weathered ridding leather perhaps or include the cape idea also from Tommo . No skull and bones stuff Ghosts are not hardware they are more like software.
            Thanks Tommo for the good additions to an already interesting project. The riding outfit may include chaps and high boots near knee level. The Gray Ghost Rider himself perhaps will be only the articles of clothing being worn some whiskers and a set of deeply focused eyes. The article of clothing must be used up shredded a bit torn and worn out. Don’t forget detail is important, things like the springs in the front fork or cutouts in the extra wide tanks for intake valve train clearance like latter J models have…. Damn I just gave away next week’s latest introduction.
            The image of the Gray Ghost Rider will be a 3/4 view in other words viewed from the right front side of the bike.
            Joe
            Last edited by Slojo; 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Welding The Force Behind A Succesfull Build

Today the lower motor mounts showed their ugly face. Now that the top mounts are all but resolved the factory original lower mounts are not on the same plane causing for stress in the entire mounting system. A stressed motor mounting assembly will case for problems like broken engine cases at the mounts. I spent several hours today shimming, measuring and studying possibilities for correcting these mounting plates.
              There are several thoughts on repairing these motor mounting blades. Brian and Lonnie out in South Dakota cut and re-weld them. Problem is there is brass in the area and that will cause difficulties with the TIG welding. Shimming these motor mounts is near impossible due to the compound angles and the difficulties measuring the error. Modern adhesives as a filler could be an option but durability over the long haul is questionable.
              It would appear that brazing the mounting pads and setting the entire frame in the machining center to mill these surfaces is the most accurate, permanent and reliable way to fix this problem. I am not the best welder so all the important welding is accumulating. A trip to the welder is coming up soon.
              Following photos are of a 1912 / 1913 H.D. front cylinder. This cylinder is standard bore and I think it is NOS. It has never had a serial number stamped in the base. All 13 twins to my knowledge had the serial number stamped twice in the left side of the motor and both cylinders were also stamped. I am having difficulties locating cylinders and am offering this cylinder in a trade for good 14 cylinders. Is there anyone out there able to help me out?
              Joe

Comment

• Whewww.... that's a dandy!

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• Pushing Forward

Having a good frame to start with this project could be nearly finished. I started with several frame parts, made the necessary repairs, completed the machine work, assembled the frame and welded it together only to find more problems.
                  The frame was set up in a fixture on my frame table and for that reason all frame tubes are on the same plane within a few thou.”. Problem is the four original motor mounts are on different planes causing unnecessary stress to the motor mounting system.
                  Today I started building a motor mount fixture that will simulate a motor with a strong steel replacement. This will bolt to the frame at the lower mounts and allow access to the motor mounts. Measurements and adjustments will be made with this fixture.
                  Furthermore a luggage rack will need to be installed on this bike and the rear frame section is off a 1913 chassis. 1914 is the first year for the “modern” luggage rack that was secured to its dedicated mounting location on the rear 1914 style axle plates. After the motor mounts are repaired the rear axle plates will be removed and replaced with the 1914 style that came with mounting tabs for the rack.
                  This evening Chris my trusty welder welded the top rear motor mount which will allow me the added stock to machine the surface exactly where it needs to be, the original mount was installed improperly about 90 years ago and influences the motor to lay in the wrong plane. Currently the top motor mount frame rail is removed from the frame so welding and machining is “easily facilitated” (is that phrase redundant?)
                  The following photos illustrate the left engine case on the surface plate for inspection. Flatness of the case is within a few thou.” again.
                  The overkill piece of steel was handy to make a test/repair fixture for the motor mounts. Machining operations taking place are to clearance the ends and square it up. The shim stock shown between the motor and the mount is .020” and is loose. When I am finished the motor mounts will all share the same plane with the centerline of the frame.
                  Joe 12-14-2009

Comment

• Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Take notice, the last photo has a notation on the frame to weld the two cracks in the motor mount. Those cracks are from stress due to improper motor mount alignments.

Comment

• Figured I would make my first post on your thread.

Looking good Joe as you call him Badly turned me on to your link....Seems like the only thing missing is the Shoes House of Chop sticker.....

As far as the read on this project you are doing a great job of reporting and explaining.Love the tech side of it...forget the nay sayers.........

Carry on that is all for now.

Shoe
                        AMCA 15548
                        www.ShoeHouseOfChop.com

Comment

• I'm watching this with great interest as well. Where else can you get a blow by blow detailed description of a restoration like this? It's fascinating. I'm sure there are many more people watching this than actually respond here on the forum. I'd venture to say that this would make a fascinating book someday. Keep the reportage going Joe so that we can all benefit, and thanks.

Howard

Comment

• Gearing?

Joe, this bike is going to be a single speed, but what final gear ratio do you plan for it? If you had to compare it to the gearing in a later 3-speed gearbox what would it come closest to?

Somewhere between 2nd and 3rd?

That's been bugging me since I've never owned a single speed and wonder how the gearing compares. You've got a clutch, but only one gear. What is that one gear most comparable to those in a multi-geared bike?

Anyone else with road experience with a single speed v-twin of this vintage please feel free to respond as I've never seen this explained.

PS: Nice looking cylinder on the previous page.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======
                            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Night at the Show

Shoe
                              Good to see you on board. “Stick” around things will get more interesting as progress accumulates. Humm,,, Shoe’s House of Chop Sticky? How about a Gray Ghost Rider sticky for the Shoe?
                              Howard
                              Good to see and hear from all new viewers, enjoy the ride.
                              Herb
                              The final gear ratio will depend on the final motor design and tire selection which is still undetermined. Motor operating RPM and torque curve play a vital role here. The final gear ratio will be a difficult challenge with the varying road conditions including mountain climbing where a motor can lose as much as half of its power in high altitude conditions. Then of course we will have the long duration runs on the flat lands including the occasional speed challenges. Motorcyclists are of the competitive type, can’t get it wrong. Besides I do have some tricks up my sleeve, stay tuned for the final results.
                              Today duty called, as slow as work has been a customer called for my services. Two hours on the road too Imlay city, seven hours later, a couple jumper wires, a fiber optic cable and some selective button pushing brought one machine back to life. I returned to the road heading home in snow, slush, black ice and other various circumstances causing poor driving conditions. By the time I reached home a quick pass through the shop, dinner and a great movie with my ole friend Tony Hopkins acticing as the Late Great Burt Munro in, of course the World’s Fastest Indian completed my day.
                              Without progress to report on hopefully I haven’t let you down tonight.
                              Joe

Comment

• 1914 twin

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                                X