!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos to folloow (I hope)

Following are photos of the machine work on the steering head ror the 1914 ralley bike (remember ?). The additional photos are of the construction work on my cabin from about six weeks ago. The photo of the gray beard with the nine (1909) Harley is me shortly after a victory of the Barber Motor Sports Century race. Notice the blue ribbon.
    Joe

Comment

• In a little less than timely fashion......here they are......... errrr... except for the cabin... Joe must be able to send at maximum capacity now....it crashed my server...

Congrats on the blue ribbon!!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• I love the fixturing to the rotary table. Easy to locate and center the hole to be bored. Thanks for sharing that one Joe.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

• Machine setup steering head

Kyle
              The fixture was a piece of steel lying around the shop that lent itself well to handle the task. I turned a pilot diameter on one end to fit the rotary table center hole. A simple program allowed the machine to mill (circular interpolate) the round pilot on the other end of the fixture. This aligned and held the steering head exactly where in needed to be for the machining operation. At this point the steering head was ready for its final machining process, to bore a 1.25” hole seven inches deep. The fixture can now be used for any other type of operation that the work piece lends itself to be held onto in a similar way.
              Joe

Comment

• Hey slojo, that's a great looking cabin. Could Richard Proenneke's endeavours been inspirational to you? What's the story on the huge tree?

Comment

• Construction

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                  Hey slojo, that's a great looking cabin. Could Richard Proenneke's endeavours been inspirational to you? What's the story on the huge tree?
                  Berry
                  Typically I march to my own beat. I have no idea who Richard Proenneke is and I am not much of a study of architecture. I do enjoy good architecture though. If you like architecture, allow me to post a photo of the barn I designed and built for my work shop.
                  The plan with the tree is to cut through and install a doorway on the outer side of the tree to walk out to the veranda, a fourteen foot overhanging roof. If the economy ever comes back perhaps a hot tub will be in my future? Right now just finishing the project looks unlikely with the state of business.
                  The tree is a black oak about one hundred seventy-five years old. It had some growth anomaly (about 5/8 inch wide growth rings) it was rapidly taking over a house in Dearborn Michigan where the home owner had it taken down.
                  I was in contact with several tree services whom specialize in this type of tree removal and was lucky enough to be able to convince the home owner that I could get the tree removed on the same day of the tree take down. The tree is about eight feet across at its widest point, five feet in diameter at chest level. The delivered weight was about twenty two thousand pounds before we cut it to its current final height.
                  Joe

Comment

• Barry Brown, "Hey slojo, that's a great looking cabin. Could Richard Proenneke's endeavours been inspirational to you? What's the story on the huge tree?"

Berry
                    I have looked up Richard Proenneke and learned he was quite the talented Log Smith and naturalist I am impressed. Wish I knew of him prior to the addition, I may have learned valuable insight to log home construction. The original section of my log home is about 150 years old possibly more.
                    Joe

Comment

• Back on the job.

It has been a non-productive week, occasionally you’ll have that. With four days to get the computer operating at an acceptable level along with resolving other responsibilities neglected lately I am back on the job.
                      For those of you who have enjoyed this article I would like to say thank you very much for the encouragement. Never have I produced an article for public exposure. My fifth grade English teacher would be proud. That said earlier today I decided to bring this article to a close. I received a malicious e-mail pertaining to this 1914 rally bike article and thought maybe I was doing the wrong thing publishing my progress.
                      After a conversation with Carl Olsen of Carl’s Cycle shop Aberdeen South Dakota today the decision was made to continue the article. Carl and his son Matt build big twins for a living and ride them around the country regularly. Carl has a good sense of reason and helped me past the insults, so on with the show.
                      This week forward progress will resume. Following is a photo of the repaired front fender near complete. The two drilled mounting holes for the front spring fork attachment will be completed when the fender is fitted to the fork.
                      With the dents and tears repaired this fender cleaned up well. I believe the fender is 1916 to 1923 J model only. The fender will be left as original. In other words it will not be modified to become a narrow 1914 style fender as the rear fender was converted allowing it to fit the narrow frame. It will not match the rear fender width although it will properly match the later model J fork I have chosen to use on this project bike. Cory you out there?
                      Joe 12/08/2009

Comment

• I'm out there alright...... Sorry to hear you had a negative response on your efforts to share a great project with others. Thanks to Carl for getting you to continue. It would have been a shame to miss out on such a learning experience!

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• I think I'm speaking for many readers when I say, you would get a lot worse e-mail if you stopped this serial. The '14, and your log cabin project are fantastic stories and I've looked forward to each installment. I'll bet the critic is someone with no talent and lots of envy.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            I think I'm speaking for many readers when I say, you would get a lot worse e-mail if you stopped this serial. The '14, and your log cabin project are fantastic stories and I've looked forward to each installment. I'll bet the critic is someone with no talent and lots of envy.
                            That's similar to what I was thinking. It doesn't seem to matter what one does, there's always someone with a bee in their bonnet!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Wow, that must be some warped loser. I agree with Eric , a case of jealousy. Keep the good stuff coming Joe. This is a fantastic thread. It's rare someone of your ability is willing to share it.

Comment

• joe thanks for staying with it i love the bike and cabin . lucy loves the cabin photos also .thanks agian joe and a wee bit of thanks to cory with the photo work
                                rob ronky #10507
                                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                                X