No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a machinist for a number of years before I went white collar. . . And then, unemployed. I have always loved the world of industrial arts and how it brings to an understanding, the mechanical workings of everything on this planet. People think computers re-mapped the world but that isn't true. If you pull the plug on a computer, you're back in the stone age. Actual tools are what really (and will) rule this world. That's why China is the next world leader.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Slojo
      Rather than machine away valuable material and stength have you considered driving a mandrel down the seat post tube to force it back to round? If the seat post casting or the weld has hardened you may need to apply heat?. The mandrel could be turned with a lead that just fits the existing clearance as a guide, then increasing to the correct size

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Frame Repair

Pete
        The frame defect is only .002 .003 inches on one side of the inner frame seat post guide tube. An attempt to press something in the hole is a good idea as I just did the exact same process on the front fork spring tubes to correct an out of round condition. The seat post section (early style made of pressed steel not a casting or forging) is much stronger than the fork though, I will give it a try anyway.
        Fortunately the heat came on today without maintenance. The thermostat was set to 80 in hopes that the shop will finally come up to temperature before it shuts down.
        Now for the project of today, getting the vertical machining center up and running. Software has been loaded and all went well until the last 3.5 inch disc was placed in the disc reader. The procedure in the manual for reading the final disc is in error for this machine. A call was placed to the local Okuma dealer for proper loading procedures. The Okuma dealer just e-mailed the supporting documents so it’s off to work again.
        Joe
        Last edited by Slojo; 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

International Hold Up

Today was spent being a machine repair dude and a failure at that. My Vertical Machining Center is about 95% up and running with one last problem to resolve. The repair of the machine will require a “D disc” for completion of the software loading procedure. Possibly tomorrow a D disc will become available from the local Okuma dealer. Machines are an important part of old bike building. If they are on my shop floor they better work.
          The 1914 motor that I purchased is being held up in an international postal money order dispute. It would appear that United States Postal Money Orders are being counterfeited and some banks want to hold them for 20 days prior to clearing them as authentic. I don’t under stand why anyone would want to counterfeit our confetti; our government has printed more than enough to be giving it out to all who squeak loud enough. Anyway this may hold up the motor operations for a month if a resolution can not be found.
          The chassis is keeping me occupied for now and will do so for some time.
          Joe 12-01-2009

Comment

joe will this help?
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
              Today was spent being a machine repair dude and a failure at that. My Vertical Machining Center is about 95% up and running with one last problem to resolve. The repair of the machine will require a “D disc” for completion of the software loading procedure. Possibly tomorrow a D disc will become available from the local Okuma dealer. Machines are an important part of old bike building. If they are on my shop floor they better work.
              The 1914 motor that I purchased is being held up in an international postal money order dispute. It would appear that United States Postal Money Orders are being counterfeited and some banks want to hold them for 20 days prior to clearing them as authentic. I don’t under stand why anyone would want to counterfeit our confetti; our government has printed more than enough to be giving it out to all who squeak loud enough. Anyway this may hold up the motor operations for a month if a resolution can not be found.
              The chassis is keeping me occupied for now and will do so for some time.
              Joe 12-01-2009
              20 days to clear a US postal MO in Canada? You are lucky as my bank requires 30 'working" days for US postal Money Orders to clear which equates to 6 weeks!

Comment

Rob
                Thank you for the offer. That bracket is a latter model unit and not needed as I already have aquired the proper set for this bike see previous illistrations.

Berry
                The Amero (Euro) is on its way, look out.

Comment

Productivity Report

Chalk three up for the repair Dude. Today two customers required my services. Both of their machines were running yet neither performing properly. A resolution was found for both machines, two down and one to go. I was then able to pick up the D Disc (software) to repair my own machine and all went smoothly, three machines down or should I say up.
                  Now that my machining center is back on line it would be a good time to illustrate why it is so important to my operations. Photos of the vertical machining center in operation will follow this post per Cory’s schedule. In the photos you will see the steering head being operated on. The removal of the old frame tubes is necessary to install the new frame sections. That operation could have been completed on a Bridgeport mill with an additional degree of difficulty.
                  The other photos illustrate a previously welded crack on the fork being turned with a boring head. This machine is not required for such an operation, although the amount of control and rigidity a good machine offers produces first class results. The unique features of this MC50VA are the extended Z axis (vertical) column for added height between the spindle nose and the table. Also the machine is built to accommodate a programmable tilting rotary table, (4th and 5th axis operation). This component requires a large amount of clearance under the spindle.
                  Now, we had a little discussion on the fitting of the seat post into the frame. I must have been off my game the other night. I had forgotten to re-slit the frame in the back side of the seat post tube. Today a slit was put in the tube by hand operation with a hacksaw and .030” abrasive slitting saw. That slit relieved the structure enough to allow the seat post to slide into the frame perfectly, problem solved.
                  Finally an attempt was made to install the fender clips that came in the mail today. The decision was made not to use these pieces because the overall length was about 1/2 inch to long as compared to the original paint 1915 fender clips. A new set will be on their way tomorrow without holes being drilled, this way they can be cut to length and drilled per the 1915 fender example illustrated. Always do it right if possible.
                  Joe

Comment

Last Leg

Say good by to this old computer as it will not send photos any longer. Between the old girl and a poor phone connection (still on phone modem) the decision was made to join the new world and purchase a fresh computer to better streamline my time and ability while on line. A high speed connection is next perhaps tomorrow. There are plenty of photos of previous operations that have not been posted yet. Plus new parts received today for the 1914 project and another future project, the photos will have to wait until I assemble the new system and get it running smoothly.
                    Joe

Comment

• You'll be glad you did Joe but isn't it remarkable that 10 to 12 years ago we were doing just fine without a home computer.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

• Computer hold up

The new computer (hp) has arrived and is non functional as of yet. I am back on the old one and it is just limping along on only one of two cylinders. It seems that ATT who has my long distance land line is willing to allow me a 90 day test ride of their high speed internet. Problem is getting it running and out on the highway. I spent several hours on the telephone with ATT yesterday and the only thing determined was the problem is on their end not mine.
                        Thursday night’s attempts to update this site were all failures. It would appear AOL is living up to their reputation as “Always Off Line”, dropping my signal constantly. This can be frustrating as it is holding up progress on the bike build also.
                        New parts have arrived this week. As I mentioned previously Lonnie at Competition Dist. and I have closed a deal on a parts trade and the transferring of these items has been ongoing this week. Many of the reproduction parts Lonnie manufactures for this bike project are now in my possession most items are the insignificant items that become significant if you don’t have them. The major component is a complete rear hub assembly. This is the 1914 to 1918(?) single speed unit with a traditional style brake drum and a freewheel clutch attached to the hub. The overall appearance of this assembly is excellent. Lonnie appears to have done an exceptionable job faithfully recreating this assembly.
                        I will attempt to get the new computer on line today and bring this site up to speed.
                        Joe

Comment

• cory helping joe with his new highspeed
                          rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Come on Rob..... I don't know anybody that hovers around the 49th parallel that's going to be caught in a loin cloth this time of year.........
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Joe,

I long ago realized when it comes to computers, I'm just a dead armadillo lying in the middle of the information super highway!
                              Attached Files
                              David Morrill
                              Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                              AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                              Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• The struggle

Rob, Cory I appreciate your humor (and really need it right now), although Dave has it right. This new computer is near impossible to operate and makes no sense. It will take me a couple days to get the basics understood. Nothing works until you jump through flaming hopes. This is my first post on the new machine and it has taken me two days to get it out. I sure miss the old sweet heart back in its glory days.
                                I am missing out on valuable bike building time setting up this computer. Soon things will be back to normal. Next major hurdle will be sending pictures.
                                Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X