Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
    Way to go Corey!
    I'm just merely a messenger Buzz.... hopefully it saves Joe a little time......
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
      The female rod is on the machine and half finished with exterior work. Programing has been time consuming. It is late details tomorrow, perhaps photos tonight if Cory's eyes are still glowing.
      Joe
      Glowing.... but fading fast........

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Mirror Mirror....

Mumble mumble tired, late, lots done some bad some good. Thought about it and then forgot to mirror image the Y axis after flipping the female rod over,,, aargh. Scraped when almost finished and it was to late to purchase more material. So I moved on to chassis assembly.

Muffler is the first item to be installed, after a little fine tuning on the assembly/hardware I ran down the street (on my 50cc "big red" ruckus) too the dollar store for some copper scrubbing pads. The copper pads are now packed into the muffler for silencing the Gray Ghost a true Silent Gray Ghost.

All the hardware for the oil tank had to be "fitted" prior to assembly, four hours latter everything fits fine. A freshly sharpened point on the needle valve will help ensure shut off of the oil supply when the needle valve is closed. Once the oil tank was ready for installation some heavy paper shop towels were wrapped around the important painted surfaces. The frame was then spread open at the seat post pinch bolt junction and the tank slipped perfectly inside its nest.

The chassis looks good with all mounted items aligning properly. Tomorrow the luggage rack and gas tank will be picked up. The rack will be mounted immediately while the gas tank gets striped perhaps . Steering cups must be fitted and the front end will be installed to the bike. A roller by weekends closing.

With the time restrictions short cuts are now being taken, namely omitting plating on some hardware items. These details can be addressed at a latter date.

Joe

Comment

• There should be more pics in the morning folks!!!

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Here we are folks!! It's coming alive........

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• august

hello joe looks like you can see the the light at the end of the tunnel
              Last edited by rwm; 07-31-2010, 08:44 PM.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Roller

Rob
                The light is still far off but in sight. It is not August yet I still have a half hour please don't rush it.

The front fork was today's project. First, fit the steering head cups they were .005" oversize which was cool because it allowed me to fit them perfectly to my frame. The usual problems with the steering stem threads and nickel plated parts consumed about three hours. Finally I put a reproduction steering head bearing cone in the mill and used a carbide end mill to cut through it. This allowed me to run the nut up the threads of the stem and with a little lapping compound clean up defects in the stem, a useful tool now.

Fork assembly followed thread repair, the fork and fender installed easily. The fork rockers were a little difficult, stretching the fender struts out of the way by yourself was challenging. The front wheel was straight forward except a slight interference with a rocker stud lock washer rubbing on my aluminum brake anchor. This was easily resolved with a 1/8 inch carbide bur and die grinder. A slight chamfer on an edge took care of the interference.

Afterwards installation of the handle bars and tidy up a couple things was all that I could manage for the night.

Much like the rear wheel the front wheel alignment looks perfect.

Eight minutes until August.
                Joe
                Last edited by Slojo; 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Lookin' Gooood!!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Sunday, the day of rest

Several friends stopped by today slowing my productivity. It was nice having guests so I could exercise my speaking skills with someone other than myself.

Mounting the rear luggage rack finishes off the back end of the bike's appearance.
                    Installation of the exhaust cutout rod retaining strap was a breeze, completing that assembly.

The remainder of the day involved fitting the countershaft "transmission" assembly making spacers and shims for proper running clearances for the new bearings. Once I get the sprocket ratio solutions calculated and a base stock set up I will make a decision on final gear ratio, install the two sprockets and finish off the pedal assembly.

Joe

Comment

• Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• That is truly beautiful, as I knew it would be, having seen your panhead. And, keeping up with this is the best thing going on the internet.
                        Lonnie Campbell #9908
                        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

• Hybred,,, is this a correct description of my cannonballer machine?

Lonnie
                          Thank you for ridding along throughout this build and also for the kind words. I try to do my best with what I have to work with. Parts and time are a major factor in the overall package. With the last month in full swing it is time to rush a few things along in order to meet the deadline.

After half the day was wasted doing things other than what I want to do it was back to the female connecting rod.

I picked up another piece of Quadco XR steel to whittle the female rod from. The material cost was another sixty dollars, man do they add up quick. Into the Okuma and off with everything that does not look like a connecting rod. After approximately three hours of actual cutting time side one is basically finished and ready to flip over. This is where I made my mistake last time omitting inverting the Y axis operative signs, in other words positive negative sign exchange of the Cartesian coordinate system in Y axis only.

Only one photo tonight as I left the camera in the cabin after having late evening dinner and heading back out too the shop. Other than the connecting rod work the brake linkage and clutch linkage are being fitted since the floor board, brake and clutch pedals have been installed already.

The oil dripper sight window I believe is one of the many N.O.S. parts used through out this project. It was a tight fit with the exhaust cut out rod retaining strap bend being just a little off. With a little persuasion all fit together well. Due to time restraints this bike was not completely fitted together as a whole assembly therefore a few problems do exist, fortunately they have all been minor and worked out without to much fuss.
                          Joe
                          Last edited by Slojo; 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Difficult day

Linkages, clutch, brakes and pedal operations consumed the whole day. Making these functions work properly is more difficult than you would think. Connecting rods must not bind or climb in either direction of operation, clutch rod and linkages must not rub everywhere as these did. Smooth, free operation is crucial for a bike to operate as I desire.

The pedal device was a nightmare and tomorrow the nightmare will continue. I believe the deficiency are about resolved. Several problems resulted in an overall rework of all devises incorporated in this mechanism. One important note, I learned today (the hard way) is the eccentric devise that locks to the frame carrying the two sprockets is different for fourteen's. The eccentric has less offset and will not mix well with others, the pedal bearing eccentric especially. This devise will not work at all if the parts are a mixture of 1913 1914 items.

Johhny Z finished the stripping today. Like a fine bottle of wine the more time he worked on this project the better he became. I look forward to working with him again.

A call from the valve manufacture came in today, it would appear there is a misunderstanding with my order. Hopefully all is resolved now and they will get the order correct.

Does anyone have a rear brake stay that clamps to the frame locking the brake plate and arm to the frame? This is a fourteen only part and I am running out of time to make one. I have what I think is a N.O.S. 15 item. This 15 part locates the arm lower, farther from the frame causing the brake rods to extend more than they should.

Joe

Comment

• Sorry folks!!! Photobucket is down for maintenance. I'll check after work and if it's up and running I'll get them posted!!!
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X