!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday The Day of Rest
    No rest for the weary. I built the bottom end today including flywheel assembly and cam gear chest. The idler gear casing is in need of some welding before it can be installed.

Things went well with the flywheel assembly, it was assembled four times once for clearance checks twice for balancing purposes and once again for the final assembly each time both shafts ran true within one thousandths of an inch immediately after torqueing the crank pin nuts (no truing necessary). I have never in my life had a flywheel bolt together and immediately spin within runing specs without truing first. I should build all my flywheels from here on.

With a temporary stall on the motor it was time to look into the chassis again. I did not have twist grip steel cover sleeves so a piece of chromemolly 1 3/8 OD X 1 1/4 ID was bored to 1 5/16 ID, cut to length OD polished and drilled for the detent. I may try to squeeze in another plating trip before this is all over, these parts will be included.

Joe

Comment

• Loose ends

Repaired the gear chest today it is week, paper thin along side the magneto. I cut away the broken, missing and cracked material and made a new piece of flat stock aluminum (not a week casting) to replace it. The aluminum plate was screwed and glued using flat head 4-40 screws and Devcon aluminum putty. This repair is much better than new.

Next was an attempt to make a steel strap to wrap around the lower rear frame rail to secure the brake backing plate anchor. Two attempts later and more than an entire 54 outs game of Tigers base ball (Tigers defeated the Yankees) I was not satisfied with my end results. Tomorrow is another day, not many of those left before Davenport.

Joe

Comment

• Sorry to supply pics in a tardy manner but I was off riding my pan for a few days.... oh, man it was good to get out and run the ol' girl.... back to business......... Go Joe Go!!!

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Joe,

Do you plan to bring the bike to Davenport? I've been following your build since you started last November - it would be cool to see it in person. Its looking great!

Dave
          AMCA 9757

Comment

• Dave
            Thank you for the positive input and riding along on this build . My intentions are to have the bike running and at Davenport, if all goes well that is.
            Joe

Comment

• Closing in

Way to much to give a detailed report on tonight, there are several photos to follow if Cory's machine can handle them.

Over the weekend I bored the original pinion bushing to + .010 for the over size pinion shaft that I made.
              A spacer washer was made for the sprocket shaft this was drilled for light weight. I hesitate to call it a thrust washer because it spins with the flywheel and the inner bearing race as an assembly
              New style screws to replace the original primary cover screws were made. The case was taped 5/16X18 where the original 1/4X24 thread was striped.
              Balance data was developed off Chris's spin balance machine. I then calculated the volume of material to be removed and captured all the chips to verify my math. I was right on the money. The data had to be converted from pounds to ounces to grams and then cubic inches before I could take a cut.
              The flywheels were assembled and installed in the case to check end clearance.
              Flywheels trimmed for clearance and then assembled with the rods, big end bearing clearance .0016".Once assembled they were installed into my home made truing stand. I built this device about 32 years ago when I was a kid. The flywheel set came off the truing stand within .0005 T.I.R. They went in almost exactly the same and did not want to move.
              A break from the motor led me to the twist grips where new sleeves were made to cover the mechanics.
              Once the flywheels were installed in the case with almost all N.O.S. case studs and nuts fitted it was time to focus on the gear chest.
              Machining, fabricating, gluing, and screwing turned a bad gear chest into a good one.
              The gear chest and its gears were installed with little interference issues slowing things down.
              Next attention to the magnetos. I have two freshly restored magnetos. One works the other needs work. Both have issues. Test runs showed a health spark from the working magneto so they do have potential.
              Valves came in today.
              Several hours wasted again on the pedal crank assembly. A conversation with Steve H. informed my suspicions, missing friction devises, spring things, Steve will ship a donor part for me to copy.
              That sums up the upcoming photos that will take into tomorrows to send due to size restraints. Sorry for a little redundancy with the previous report and tonights.
              Joe

Comment

• Well Cory's machine handled part of them..... I'll catch up as soon as Joe boomerangs 'em back again!!!

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• Well folks with Joe's patience we may just be able to catch up.... here's a few more... and there's more to come.. when I get all the the pics sorted out (hopefully tonight sometime....) I'll get them in some sort of proper order...

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Running out of steam

After my work responsibilities the day was mostly shot. I did install the front brake cable custom made by Barnett's the clutch guys. The people at Barnett's are responsive and talented, you need to look no farther if you have clutch issues or cable requirements.

The rear brake stay is finally fixed to the frame, alignment is good and affective. Although not even close to correct the finished product will do the job until an original unit falls out of the sky.

A make shift head light rubber mount was fabricated from a steel reinforced hydraulic hose mounted to the fork in place of the stock head light mount. It was quick and not to difficult to produce. This will emulate a 7/8' bicycle handle bar. I will use two bicycle head lights (hi and low beam).

Photo loading has not been helped by the new system. It appears to be hindered by our computer geek squad. Come on guys and gals you can do better.

Joe
                    Last edited by Slojo; 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• O.K. it's going to be baby steps until we catch up here.........

Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• Right on Cory, keep em coming. Looking good Joe!

Comment

• Great job Joe. What piston did you use?
                          David Morrill
                          Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                          AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                          Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• Tom
                            Thanks for the positive input, things are changing fast stay tuned.

Dave
                            Good to see you here still. The pistons will be introduced to the project this weekend they are CP from the people that bring us Carillo connecting rods.

The cylinders are going to the platting shop today and should be back tomorrow in time for the weekend assembly.

I am on a lunch brake now and will be back to work on magnetos right away. New carbon brushes are in process and new brush springs are already formed from an earlier trip today to McGuire spring shop in Brighton Mi.
                            Joe

Comment

• Glad your enjoying this Tom!!! One can really appreciate what it takes to get a project like this done!!! Joe is the MAN!!!

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Joe
                                Are you intentionally dragging your feet a little, just to build the suspense.
                                It is turning into a work of art.
                                Looking forward to seeing hopefully running at Davenport.
                                I'm also hoping to be in Hot Springs to see how the run is going.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X