Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight

Lonnie, Cory
    I haven't made many videos lately, they don't seem to gather much attention. I do plan to have a camera running on First Fire.

Today has come and gone already. I have been able to rely on my personal hardware store (the Okuma) to get what ever hardware I need. Such as today's requirements, new case motor mount sholder bolts and the three tall head magneto bolts.

With the magneto installed and timed to 37/38 degrees advance I was able to move forward on other issues such as the damn pedal start mechanism. Fred Lange sent me this nice unit but it has been the cause of many hours of frustration since first installed. It has never worked properly. I knew its short falls but was unable to make corrections with out remanufacturing a few parts.

Fred, always the gentleman stands behind his work and sent some spare parts to work out the bugs. I knew the eccentrics were not matched and are part of the problem. One of the parts Fred sent was an extra eccentric and it has a greater amount of offset, this is just what I required to resolve a major issue with this assembly. Once a little machine work was completed to bring it up to date with the rest of my modifications it installed nicely and worked. It is still close, boarderline to causing some grief but should work. More plans to make necessary changes are in the works.

Chain and sprocket alignment look good. The pedal crank already scared the cam chest cover,,, Ouch. Battle scare are multiplying with three or four small nicks in the paint. Touch up will be the remedy for this problem if time is available.

I have information that Matt Olsen has bombed out his motor already (a broken sprocket shaft,,,big power stroker motor). He should be able to fix it in a few days. Steve Barber also in trouble with his 15 twin as are a few other early runners. Lets hope enough time is still available to return their bikes to running condition.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 08-26-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• I hope everyone is up and running well enough to make the start... and off to the finish!!!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• No rest for the weary.

Nearly finished, perhaps a first firing is in order for tomorrow. I am used up, think I will sleep in.

Few things went right several went wrong most of them corrected. The push rods are about 3/8" short for this style rocker arm set up. I will make new ones tomorrow and send them off to heat treat this week.

With some loose ends to take care of I will be busy tomorrow finishing off the last of the issues.

Joe
        Last edited by Slojo; 08-27-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• progress

well, it looks good anyway

Comment

• You are just about there Joe!!! It will all be worth it when you are rolling down the highway!!! The Grey Ghost is gonna be a contender!!!

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• The Eleventh Hour

Tightening up loose ends today I paced myself so as not to not get used up like I did yesterday. On the to do list was, finish the left grip and control for the mag/decompression. A new inner handle bar slide had to be made. Both slides I have are with issues that prohibited me from using them,,,picky I guess.

Instead of the traditional throttle/spark inner cable from music wire I installed spring steel. This wire comes on a large coil and when removed from the coil it straightens out, it has no predetermined coiled form. This works better than any wire I have ever used. A button head cap screw installed for now to secure the throttle sleeve it is a 6-40 thread and all I had was 6-32 in fillester. I should have turned on my hardware store and produced a few proper screws.

Next was to temporarily install the right side fuel tank. It fit with the valve train already installed, a tight fit.

I sealed the valve pockets and adjusted the intake valves with new push rods made today. The last set of push rods (to short for high ratio rocker arms) made are for stock rocker arms not the high ration rocker arms being used on this bike. The new push rods will go to heat treat this week, for now I flame hardened the tips of two out of eight push rods so I can run the bike.

A N.O.S. porcelain Michigan license plate installed looks good on the bike. Tomorrow a lower bracket will be made to finish the installation. I have incorporated rubber isolation mounting to care for the plate.

If the stars align tonight there will be several friends coming over tomorrow to help get the bike off the stand and First Fire the Gray Ghost.

Joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Hope it runs like a watch! Get some video if possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                  Hope it runs like a watch! Get some video if possible.
                  Ditto!!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• The gray ghost lives !

She's a runner. 20 maybe 30 miles so far and one bad oil leak (cam cover thread striped and missed until to late) a slipping seat bracket and to high of a gear ratio. It runs about 40 mph before the clutch can be fully engaged. SSSMMMMMOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHH as silk unbelievable honestly I don' believe it myself.

It fired immediately, the biggest issue was keeping it running, pour more gas in the tank and a little carb tuning latter problem solved.

Tomorrow the gremlins, make a strap to prohibit the seat from tipping back, finish mounting the license plate, take care of the cam chest oil leak and change the front sprocket from 15 to a 14 tooth.

The rear stand is for a 1915 and raises the bike to high, compound that with the short tires and you know the Paul Harvey (or do you?).

I hit 60 mph and left my video crew behind passing through the twisties. The bike handles like no other H.D. I have ever run. It must be the Pirellis, my remanufactured frame rails in the rear section and those Ducati Desmo parts slipped into the valve train. The seat pogo stick is perfect, long travel and stiff enough to prevent bottoming out short of an earth quake.

To say that I am pleased so far would be an under statement. Also it is a high rider I will be able to see above everything short of a Mack truck. This was in the plans from the beginning, the 1912 and later frame bikes are for those with a shorter inseam and cause taller people to become cramped, the handle bars and your knees get tangled. On the other hand the ground is a long way away from the seat, fortunatly not unmanageable for me.

Joe

Comment

• Congrats Joe!!!! We have all been waiting to hear this news!!!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• I don't like to post much, but I have to tell that I am relieved that it is going.
                        Jim

Comment

• Right on Joe! cant wait to see it flying down the road, sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing this build all the way through. This is the most exciting stuff I can remember since I joined back in the 80's. The Cannon Ball run as got me all worked up, funny since I am just watching from a distance. But alot of folks are going to be following this thing real close. Sure hope all goes well for as many as possible on the run, as I would like to see a bunch of ya ride in at the finish. Congratulations once again, well done and best of luck!

Comment

• Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• YEA !!! Way TO GO JOE !!!!!!!
                              Looks Better than new !!!
                              Congrats
                              Oz

Comment

• Following are three You Tube Videos in order of the first three start up attempts. After these first firings additional fuel was added and all went well from there. I will get some riding videos posted later.
                                Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2RCRGLE8I
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhB2_2fRMW0
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zamox5WRE_I
                                Last edited by Slojo; 08-30-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X