Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    Chris,
    The stroke was increased out of necessity to clear the 1 1/4 inch crank pin and its larger nuts.

Joe
    Good story Joe. Stick with it.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Chris
      In the above picture look at the rod position/angle, it is at bottom dead center and their is still over 1 1/2 inches clearance between the flywheel and the piston bottom skirt. With the original design of early motors( large diameter flywheels, long piston skirts long rod) It would require a 6 1/2 inch stroke to consume the current piston flywheel clearance with this style of piston. Remember, this motor has to live and pedal start with short leverage 1914 crank arms.
      Joe

Comment

• Lunch brake,,, The motor is now in the frame. I am in process resolving the upper rear motor mount fitment. The mock motor fit well, this one has an alignment issue.
        Joe

Comment

• Joe, I'm curious about the baffles below the front piston, is there a reason why the rear has none? What purpose do they serve?...Mike

Comment

• Mike
            Good question, the front cylinder baffles create a low pressure zone in the area above the baffle for high velocity air passage during an up stroke of the piston to help draw oil into the front cylinder. The rear cylinder did not need baffles it had the oil slinging off the flywheels into the cylinder for piston cylinder lubrication.
            Joe

Comment

• joe did the baffles change on later j models? could be a long thread one day THE BAFFLE OF BAFFLES to drill, remove or replace.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Anticipation

Rob
                My brain is a mess after these past few months building. If my memory is correct baffles continued through early Knucks. I chose to leave them in whether they are beneficial or not. "Did the baffles change on later j models" Baffles basically remained the same until H.D. removed half of the baffle leaving two quadrants with and the other two quadrants without the early style half moon baffle. When they did that I don't know.

This evening the carburetor and its controlling linkage including the twist grip was installed. Copper washers turned on the Monarch lathe seal the nipple against the cylinders. The control sleeve stem was a few thousands oversize. Clamped in the Okuma vise, program and set up to circular interpolate the O.D. to size was a breeze. The sleeve now fits the throttle lever perfectly completing the carburetor and throttle control.

Joe

Comment

• sorry about the delay on the photo end... Go Joe!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Count down

After the usual rescue of another ill Okuma (this one accidently bobby traped by my good friend Dan) I went straight home to get back to work on the Gray Ghost.

The upper rear motor mount had seen its day and was not going to work on this bike. A block of steal donated its life to be cut up and turned into a more useful item than something to stub my toe on.
                      After about 45 minutes in the Okuma, a trip to the Bridgeport, pedestal grinder and buffer polisher out popped a nice fitting motor mount. This made me happy. The simple things in life aahhh.

The exhaust head pipes were calling my name. To fit the rear head pipe the cam chest had to be removed,,, I forgot. Pipes cut to length and flanges welded on the top end (Thanks again Chris for rescuing me on this challenging weld job) they fit well, thanks Steve H. for the tubes.

With eight hours on the road today not much else completed. Another night shot means one day closer to fire up.
                      Joe

Comment

• joe, this could possibly be the most anticipated moment in this motorcycle's history. please get some video.
                        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Video would be good...

sorry I will have to post the rest of the pics sometime after photobucket finishes up some maintenance....
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

• Good luck with the start up.
                            Dont forget the OIL.

Pete Reeves.

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment