No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I am the guy that traded him the magneto. Boy am I going the hear about it. It worked excellent for three days, 72 hr with out missing on the test bench. And all the test miles and 5 days on the Cannon ball. New rebuild from Mark's Magneto's first one with problems and he's done a doz. for me.
    Last edited by marsh1915hd; 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• mark rebuilt the magnetos for my sears. the first one lasted an hour and a half. the second one was working pretty well up until the crash.
      A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

• Hey Matt! Welcome home! I know where you'd rather be, but Mother's soup and sandwiches will be good for you! Eat it up for a few days! til she gets "on to you".
        By the way, if that Sears is "totalled", will you take scrap price for it? I'm working just east of Huron, I could come up and get it tomorrow. And I could tell you some good ones about your Dad while he's away!

get well soon!

Comment

• Glad to hear you are OK Matt, I have survived some "road rash" myself.
          The bit about the magnetos raises the question about how well most old bikes , especially very old bikes have been restored ( or tastefully modified for the Cannonball) with regards to their mechanical aspects . The Cannonball may be a wake up call for a lot of us, myself included to try to attain a higher standard. I believe the British magneto company BTH who were known for their superb quality products would test magnetos fully submersed in water at speed for hours ! With all of Slojo's preparation in search of the weak link maybe the once infallible 100 year old Bosch mags need the same level of scrutiny.

Comment

• Hey Matt,
            I hear there flim of you going down. We want to see it, and you need to tell your story. Heal fast and see you in Sana Monica.

Comment

• Matt, glad to hear you are up and at 'em! Sorry to hear about the arm and the bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Post
                ...until the crash.
                Matt,

Unless you don't want to, can you clue us in between the difference of hitting a pothole (if that's what happened) on the '14 Sears as opposed to hitting a pothole on a springforked Knucklehead running 4:00x18s?

Glad you're okay.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======
                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Post
                  mark rebuilt the magnetos for my sears. the first one lasted an hour and a half. the second one was working pretty well up until the crash.
                  Matt, I have to assume someone else is typing for you, right? (Deb, is that you?) These folks all need a full report (you know how we are), can I help you deliver it? I'd be happy to. .. and I know the Sears isn't in the deal...

Comment

• Joe is well

I ate lunch with Joe between Hot Springs and Fort Smith. He said the Ghost was running like a Swiss watch.
                    Talked to him a little more at Fort Smith and everything was still working well.
                    Jim

Comment

• Great to hear!!! He seems for the most part to be keeping out of the limelight. Thanks for posting Jim!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• here I am fixing a flat on joe's support vehicle on day one shortly after leaving kitty hawk
                        Attached Files
                        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                        1940 indian chief military
                        1965 sportster xlch
                        1969 sportster xlch bobber
                        1971 bsa A65 chopper
                        1969 harley ss350 sprint
                        1960 harley topper
                        1963 harley topper
                        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                        1959 harley model 165
                        1960 harley super 10
                        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                          Great to hear!!! He seems for the most part to be keeping out of the limelight. Thanks for posting Jim!!
                          Back in black.
                          I was not dodging the limelight, just staying ahead of it. Give me a few moments to gather my thoughts and I will write a summarization of the event.
                          joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                            Give me a few moments to gather my thoughts and I will write a summarization of the event.
                            joe
                            Thanks Joe, I knew you wouldn't leave us all hanging. Please include all the technical details on the magnetos, when I talked to you in Hot Springs I forgot to ask you where #3 came from, I assume it made it to the coast without further problems. Looking forward to the report.

mike

Comment

• Good to hear you are home safe and sound Joe!!! I guess we can wait until you've gathered your thoughts for that report...... I'm sure that although as thrilling as that Cannonball likely was it was also probably equally exhausting!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Cannonball withdrawal. My first folow up posting.

Could some one give me an L.
                                WOW
                                Where do I start?
                                First I would like to thank Lonnie for his "I had a dream" what a spectacular idea.
                                Next, thanks to John and the entire cannonball crew for helping Lonnie put it all together.
                                The course was excellent, perfectly laid out in the step by step instructions.

Now to the point, as you all know this past 11 months prior to cannonball I have been immersed in building a bike that I originally thought could be finished in four to six months,,,wrong I was. While calling on everybody I know in the old bike world chasing parts for this project things looked grim until a call was placed to my friend (and author) Herbert Wagner. Herb suggested a request for parts in the Parking Lot Chatter section of the AMCA Forum would be beneficial for locating parts to build this !914 HD twin single speed.

My first thought humm, I have a lousy dud of a computer and haven't ever been on the AMCA forum why should I attempt to do this? None the less Herb was persuasive enough to convince me this was my best option.

The first thread ever on the forum for me, !914 Twin HD Cannon ball request . Early on in the parts request a few people asked for me to update my progress on the build, so I did. It wasn't long before several astute readers caught my error in the title which led to many responses with a ! in place of a 1, good clean fun. I then tried to produce error free posts there after. Not possible for me, sorry. Many nights well past the bewitching hour I would find myself hammering away at the key board (instead of the bike) and re-reading my article several times with weary eyes,often two or three hours were spent documenting my progress and sending photos to be posted by Cory my new found friend and partner in crime.

The parts started to roll in by way of my telephone dealings, not so much from the article unfortunately. Early on one of the individuals that I was sent to did not follow through with a deal perhaps a slight error or lack in communication. He then sold the parts (as it turned out the all important cylinders) to another individual and when we next spoke on the telephone he insulted me and said I was the laughing stock of the AMCA for writing this article.

In a subsequent conversation with Carl Olsen, Carl assured me otherwise and convinced me to continue writing my journey through this process. I also posted a comment that I was considering termination of this article much to the dismay of some of the responding readers.

Since my father did not raise a quitter and enough positive input from several interested parties came in, the article continued.

After carefull consideration I can think of no other way to follow up this monumental event so I will post a follow up on this conversation as the days continue thank you for your patience as it is not possible to summarize this journey in one sitting.

Joe
                                Last edited by Slojo; 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X