No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right on Joe!! Your eager audience awaits.

Comment

• I'll echo Tom's response...... I know I'm eager to hear the nitty gritty.... patience on this will be the key... as I'm sure there's lots to tell!!! Joe you are a pioneer with the online documented bike build!!!! My picture posting was but a minor contribution and I was happy to do it....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Joe, congratulations on validating Teddy Roosevelt's words (and meaning) at the Sorbonne as you were ......
        'In the Arena'......
        "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Comment

• Cory
          "My picture posting was but a minor contribution" Cory, without your diligence this article would have failed.

Charley
          I can always count on you to come through with words of wisdom, Thank You.
          Joe

Comment

• Kat, I have to ask…… Was this post just to fool around or where you really disappointed with how the event was managed?
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

• Getting to know the Ghost

So here we are at the end of the build, for all those who have not read the posts please go back and get caught up no sense in repeating myself.

As shown in the videos my first fire was good for a few seconds the second ran for a little longer and the third with added gas in the tank ran fine until what appeared to be a stall under a seizure. Yes I was right the Ghost had a bit of epilepsy. The pistons were set at a tight .003" as per the piston manufacture. No mater how much information was fed to them about these early iron IOE motors they insisted on the tight setup.

I put about 30 miles on the first ride with a stall due to tight fitting pistons, a seizure. The next day sprocket ratios were changed and a few other things finished off. The oil was drained from the crankcase and inspected for impurities, it was clean as a whistle.

Day two after the first run I fired the bike and set off on my second journey to anywhere. Three miles down the road the motor had an epileptic seizure, damn forgot to replace the crankcase oil and also neglected to turn on the oil dripper. Five minutes later, fresh oil dumped into the engine the Gray Ghost re-fired and ran about 300 miles with another seizure at about 40 mph, quick push in the clutch pedal.

At this point I was exhausted and out of time. My past experience with a little 98cc 1963 Ducati Bronco and seizure problems was very much the same as this one so I took a chance and decided to run with it. The Bronco was basically a NOS bike that would run to about 25 MPH and then stick for about 5 seconds. After about ten of these seizures it finally loosened up and now is happy running about 60 plus MPH.

A short trip to Davenport including a few putts around the grounds led me to the conclusion that caution and patience should be the primary concern while seating in this motor (not breaking in).

Finally after 11 months and all my preparations the day has arrived to run to Kitty Hawk NC. Rick, Chris and I loaded the bike and supplies into the trailer and shoved off.

Two days latter we showed up to find the California crowd and their !915,s all lined up. It was a great time watching all the cannonballers arrive with their bikes. While we waited for the start of the event I took a 20 mile ride along the coastal road. All was well until the breeze picked up from the ocean front cooling the cylinders fast and yes another seizure. Moments latter the bike was re-fired and off we went. This is becoming a real problem.

Tomorrow the run starts and I am having serious problems yet I am not overly concerned I am confident the troubles will fade with miles. At this point my biggest fear is the one that did cost me my eight miles the magneto.

See you tomorrow
              Joe

Comment

• Great way to recall a story Joe!!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• Final preparations

After the past 10 months building the Ghost I was left without the energy to do much of anything. My best description of my condition was I felt like Superman (completing the build and making it to Kitty Hawk on time) on Kryptonite (totally powerless after the accomplishment). Bikes were showing up at Kitty Hawk N.C. many prepared some unprepared for the upcoming event. Temporary photos studios with lazy suzans set up for the capture of each and every machine on film. People a buzz all around no one knowing what to expect out of this group of individuals and their machines.

Typically I am into problem resolution especially bike problems. Not this time I did not have it in me to lift another wrench. I stood back and allowed the other guys straighten out the haunting's of these troubled arrivals. This was not by choice but out off necessity.

Pre !916 bikes spread out over the parking lot, wheels clutches motors a little of everything. The sounds of hammering rang threw-out the day and evenings. Motorcycle by B.S.A. Excelsior, Harley Davidson, Henderson, Indian, J.A.P., Merkel, Pope, Premiere, Sears and a Militar (what?), (some would also say an obscure unbranded bike known as a Gardella model Gray Ghost). It was like your favorite Christmas Nightmare, old bikes coming back to life for the dead line day , tomorrow !

These bikes have come to be put to the ultimate test a 3300 mile run across the U.S.A.. Not the way it was accomplished 100 years ago, putt putting across the country in and out of towns running the Rail Road tracks, dodging those pesky recently displaced Indians and their disgruntled disposition, eating what you shot, cleaned and cooked yourself and sleeping under the stars. They are running on paved roads at speed, yes SPEED the Devil for may of these early machines, Hotels, gas stations and other convinces abound.

Finally Day one, the sun is shinning the Pope has arrived alive all things are good except for the Merkel...

Joe

Comment

• I know this is double posted but seeing as Slojo is one of the Cannonballers featured I thought I'd put it here as well!!!

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• The Journey

Back to the keys for a while, The weather is changing fast, with the autumn colors at their peak riding season is near finished here in Michigan. So the intelligent thing to do is grab your leather and hop on the closest bike to the door, which happens to be the last one in the shop, The Ghost. I have been out riding the Ghost since I last posted here. Now with near four thousand five hundred miles it still runs like the first day I started it, just without the seizure problems.

The primary chain is shot again, the rear tire is past the wear bars and the front brake shoes are not in the best condition based on the brake arm location. Now that Cannonball is over I have been getting caught up with all the things left unattended prior to the antique motorcycle event of the century.

Back to the run. The Merkel, man what a drag. This bike seen a lot of work prior to the start of day one and just didn't have what it takes to make it. The example of "never give up" would be the theme for the Merkel crew through out the entire event.

Leaving the Hotel was grand, 44 bikes pulling out of the hotel following the coast line with a cool breeze and hot sun the run could not have started out better. We then rode to the Wright Brothers memorial and set the bikes up in order based on the bikes year of manufacture for a panoramic photo session. Afterwards was the true start of the Cannonball run where each bike had its start up time delayed about 15 seconds from the previous bike.

Several miles into the run we crossed two water ways where the second bridge elevated the road quite a bit. This is where things got ugly, my bike stuck the pistons again this is about the fifth occurrence in under 400 miles and now is becoming a bad habit. Several bikes passed on by while I sat at the top of the bridge waiting to see if cooling the motor would allow it to restart again. It did, what a relief. The rest of the day was spent running at a cautious pace and no further troubles occurred.

Gas mileage, about 45 MPG, oil consumption was low less than half a quart in 200 + miles. The gas mileage would remain about 45 MPG for the entire trip and the oil consumption once tuned in reduced to 4 to 8 ounces a day depending on temperature and miles per day. The oil control dripper was opened about 1/8 turn from stop. This setting would equal about a drop of oil per 20 seconds. In my opinion this dripper may be better than the !915 style of oil controled drip pump. It is eaisly and instantly controled for proper oil regulation.

With the piston and ring selection oil burning was limited only to the top end lubrication poured into the gas tank. The Ghost was not one to fill the air with smoke and if caution was observed when pouring un-metered Marvels Magical Mystery oil into the gas tank, tail pipe smoke would be undetectable.

By now I have determined that the only real mistake made in the build was piston to cylinder wall clearance. Three thou. (.003") should have been five. With .002" more clearance the bike would run faster without seizure problems. I should have disregarded the piston manufacture and trusted my common sense when it came to this all important piston / cylinder clearance issue.

Magnetos are already failing on day one and many of these magnetos are rebuilt by the same shop that rebuilt my magneto . My concern for this problem has peaked and I am un-sure as to what to do other than just hope for the best.

Joe

Comment

• Joe, you are my hero. You are a dedicated and skilled motorcycle enthusiast and rider. Proud to have spent time with you on the ride and love the Ghost!
                        Buzz Kanter
                        Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                        [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                        [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

• Accumulating Miles

Other than the crazy woman that disturbed most every body while in Kitty Hawk things for the Ghost and I went uneventful through September 10th 11th and12th. The first three days required no more than oil, gas, and primary chain adjustment. Not bad for an all new bike built from nothing more than imagination.

Day three we rolled into Dales Wheels Through Time Museum were we were welcomed by the locals and those from out of town that came to see the museum and the Cannonballers. Dale rolled out the red carpet and put on a great evening for all of us. As usual for me the museum is a sight to see no mater how many times I visit Maggy Valley's best attraction.

While at Wheels Through Time I ran in to several friends. Michigan transplants now located around the Knoxville area. Yes these guys made the transformation from Yankees to Damn Yankees and they all came to support my Cannonball effort. Bob, Ron, and lets not forget the Rocket himself Rocket Rex the fastest guy I know on one wheel. Long ago while ridding my Ducati at 130 mph in an undisclosed safe location the Rocket Man running behind me blipped his throttle on his turbo-charged Yamaha R1 and lifted a wheelie past me like I was standing still. Rocket will play a roll in this cannonball latter.

On our way to Coker Tire Chattanooga I was ridding in fantastic mountain passes through the twisties, up and down the road between tunneled trees. Things could not be much better when from nowhere a Suzuki pulled along side me. I looked over and found none other than my old ridding partner Rocket Rex, this was a great surprise. Rocket and I did a lot of ridding prior to his escape from the claws of deep dark Detroit misery. We road together for the remainder of the day, what a pleasant surprise for the both of us. We neared the end of the day's ride when unexpectedly the Ghost misfired and back fired a few times then rolled to the side of the road dead.

The blazing hot sun forced me to push the bike down a hill and on to a side road where some shade could be found. An attractive young lady approached me, she had come from an apparently broken down pickup truck and was asking for help. I had explained to here that I also was broken down. Then from behind the truck a man came out approaching me at a fast rate. I did not have time to think about what was happening. Before he could reach me two Federal cop cars pulled up and started questioning all of us.

The officer asked me what I was doing I told him repairing my bike. He informed me that I was on Federal land, I remarked good thing because I was a tax payer and held a share in the land so there could be no problem, caught him by surprise I guess. The officer then questioned the couple with the "broken down truck". A short while later after running all our names the officers left us with instructions for departure and this is where things got interesting. The couple with the broken down truck entered the truck, fired it up, and drove off as if nothing was wrong with the vehicle.

Rocket and I came to the conclusion they were about to attempt a robbery. Close call? We will never know. With all the confusion and limited amount of time left on the clock prior to the dead line DNF (Did Not Finish) I determined the magneto had slipped timing by way of the old flew the gew method and the only way to ride in was to reset the timing. Easy enough except this could cause a drastic failure if the gew churns to much of a load causing a broken magneto shaft or pinion gear drive key failure. This would possibly put the Ghost out of the running.

A decision was made and Rocket towed me the last eight miles to Coker Tire putting me out of the running for the rest of the event. The Cannonball rules changed the next day returning lost points to other riders moving me back to third place in class two standings. Furthermore at the end of the event all rules violations subject to points penalties such as chase vehicles following and supporting points contending bikes were overlooked.

At Coker Tire we had a fantastic time with the red carpet rolled out again just as Dales Wheels Through Time event. The Coker shop and Dales shop were both a buzz through the late hours of the night with many bike repairs. The Ghost received its first magneto transplant (a good used unit) and all was well for now.

Joe

PS: With a ridding trip to Milwaukee planed for this week the Ghost received its first new rear tire, another new primary chain, a new spoke magnet for the bicycle style speedometer, exhaust valve and steering head bearing adjustments. Everything else checked good. Now with about 4000 miles logged on the Gray Ghost I can say with confidence that it is a great bike and has out performed all my expectations, handling, speed, comfort and reliability. It has been a better bike than the BMW R1100 RT I bought new in !996.
                          Last edited by Slojo; 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Holy Smokes Joe!!! Exciting indeed. It looks like the law showed up just in time!!! Tonights post was a good read! Thanks for taking the time to do all that typing. As far as the Gray Ghost proving itself... I don't think anyone who has followed this build is surprised......
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Road Trip for the Ghost

Tonight I ran 85 miles and had a little tank rust enter the carburetor, not much of a problem, I just changed the cotton ball fuel filters and all was well for the return trip home.

The Ghost is now with a new primary chain, rear tire, valves and steering head adjusted, oiled, gassed and lighting batteries charged. I have just to put my clothes in the tank bag and sneakers in the rear bag prior to an early morning ride to Muskegon.

Tomorrow (Wednesday October 19 2010) after about a 200 mile cold Autumn ride to Muskegon Michigan I will take a high speed ferry boat ride across lake Michigan to Milwaukee with a short 2 mile ride to the big house of Harley Davidson for a Friday evening of Cannonball with Bill Rodencal and over 100 paying guests.

Not quite up to Victor road trip status but at least without adult supervision.

Joe

Comment

• Joe, hope you and the ghost are having a great time in Milwaukee!
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X