!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob
    A few words of caution,,,,, Caution, preparation, cleanliness, material flow, adhesion and centrifugal force. Don't forget resistance, you may want to "conduct" (get it?) a filler material check with a megger. The more of these words complied with the better. What you are about to do is reseal the armature if you fail you have not destroyed the armature just made it difficult for the next guy to correct it.

If the windings or condenser are already bad you are not fixing anything with the reseal process. A rewind and a new condenser by an expert is your best plan of attack.

On the other hand if you have already flew the gew, cleaned out the armature cavity between the magnets and tested the mag, found it works you may have a chance of success with this operation.

Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
      Truly, performance runs were kept to a minimum durability was on everybody's mind except Steve Barber and Vince Martinico. Vince on his Pope big single wanted to run everybody. I demonstrated a little Ghost power and told him he didn't want any more, save the motor Vince.

Joe
      Hmm...sounds like the unholy speed of the Pope OHV wanted to get out and show it's stuff. And that was a single!

In the early days every time they tried to put on a non-competition tour it would turn into a race. One time at Milwaukee 1913-14 their Goodfellowship Tour became a race when the Pope riders decided to prove their speed. Some things never change...
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• A bit of research EX H-D engineer here, the link is to a book (1918) on theory and practice of magnetos of the period. You can read the book online.
        http://www.archive.org/stream/automo...ge/n0/mode/2up

Comment

• Perfecting the Gray Ghost

Perhaps I should give up machine sales and service and start a new career in country music. Lets see in the past few months I lent out my pickup truck, next my cat died, Spot a good cat. Followed by my girlfriend leaving after 24 years like the cat and dog a good girlfriend, now add insult to injury my dog died. But wait on a positive note here is the kicker, my pickup truck came back,,,, damn my friend Bill died. The funeral was today. Is there a country hit single somewhere in this story? can anybody help me out here?

Bill was a local motorcyclist and well liked, judging by the overflow in the funeral home he had a lot of friends. First one out has the most friends left to show at the funeral. When such an occasion arrives (funerals) I break out a special bike my !954 anniversary yellow Hydra Glide. Not this time though , I did not have enough time to get the !954 out of moth balls and prepare it for the ride. So the trusty Ghost was called out for duty. I left this morning conditions were foggy, overcast, bare trees, cold and nobody I mean nooobody was on the back roads I rode. Under these conditions the Gray Ghost felt ....well Ghostly , it was strange yet comforting.

About 50 bikes showed to see Bill off and the ride totaled, for me near 130 miles. I ran out of gas pulling into the gas station. Many twisties and back hilly roads were my path. I have not opened the Ghost up until today. The Ghost pulled up to 70 mph strong and then flattened out not wanting to use the top 25% of the throttle.

The carburetor is not right above 3/4 throttle. I put my cold weather gloved hand in front of the CV port and easily felt the air flow was interrupted, reverberating. Aerodynamics of my CV bulb valve are good for "flying thru the air" but not for air passing by and remaining an open door. The current design opens the door for air passage and then closes it with a reverse push on the tapered back side of the bulb while high air velocity is passing by. A simple fix will be in order. I will reprogram the Okuma for a new contour with a small diameter straight shape on the back side of the bulb. I was uneasy with the original design not for this reason but for taking up to much space inside the carburetor body, a learning curve.

While on the ride I dusted a !947 Indian Chef (yes you read it right Chef) in the twisties just for fun, sorry Rod.

On my way back I was thinking of Cannonball II, perhaps just a few improvements and the Ghost could return and make another fantastic companion for the run. Exhaust valve seats, re-tune the CV valve on the carburetor, change the front brake cable and shoes, alter the spring rate in the front fork to reduce compression, make primary chain improvements and maybe a handle bar tweak for comfort. Add a better head light and look into a mini charging system to complete the preparations. The mountains are taller but not likely to be steeper do I hear an I think I can, I think I can, I think I can coming from the little Ghost?

Comfort and handling are near perfect, power and speed are there, why not? Lonnie what do you think?

Joe
          Last edited by Slojo; 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
            Hmm...sounds like the unholy speed of the Pope OHV wanted to get out and show it's stuff. And that was a single!

In the early days every time they tried to put on a non-competition tour it would turn into a race. One time at Milwaukee 1913-14 their Goodfellowship Tour became a race when the Pope riders decided to prove their speed. Some things never change...
            I heard Vince's Pope OHV big single ran 60 mph. With better preparation that bike could have taken the Bronze and possibly the overall event.

Joe
            Last edited by Slojo; 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Wow Joe! A country song is definitely forming.

It's funny you should mention the return of the Gray Ghost for the next Cannonball. I was thinking that with the way it runs and with the odd thing fine tuned........why not? If you hauled arse across the country and beat the later bikes what a story that would be!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• here is your opening verse. the only curves i'll be handling are on a foggy road.
                rob ronky #10507
                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Weird Joe, when I was reading your report the Country Music Awards was on TV. Yea I know slow night in the garage, Woody

Comment

• country joe & the gray ghost.hmm
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Mmmagizine Mmmountain

Lonnie Is that a nod of approval for a return appearance of the Ghost in Cannonball II ? Read on good friend.

Where did I leave off?,,, Brad and I missing near disaster and a trip to Valhalla or some where similar by narrowly avoiding "Locomotive Breath". I hope I am not out of sequence here brain fade sorry. Riding together all day Brad and I arrived in Hot Springs Arkansas. Everybody in the cannonball would have to agree, the best overall accommodations for the entire Cannonball trip, period.

We pulled into Hot Springs where locals and out of town visitors welcomed us by their show of support. Hot Springs convention center parking lot was boiling over with people wanting to be a part of Lonnie Isam's Jr., Genius, "The Motorcycle Cannonball". Motorcycle friendly people of Hot Springs Arkansas opened the convention center for three days to all involved in Cannonball and those who were curious wanting to stop in and see for themselves.

Brad and I pull in early and backed up to the curb. I initiated the shut down process when the Ghost stalled prematurely, Humm? We both lifted our bikes on the rear stands when seconds later Brads rear tire sounds off with the last thing you want to hear from you tire, psssss. Laughter from all in ears reach rang off. Brad had the last laugh latter when I went to start the Ghost and determine magneto number two failed (also flew the gew) during the shut off moment. The Ghost, pushed into the convention "service" center for maintenance with the sense of accomplishment by magneto number two doing what it had to do for the day before it gave up the ghost (sorry), make the prescribed distance and it did... barley.

In the convention center, Hot Springs permitted us liberty, anything and everything was acceptable including manufacturing (Jon Szalay), welding (Urban Hirsch), engine, transmission and chassis rebuilding (to many to list), Soldering (myself and several others), Magnets were the rage for several cannonballer's. Even support vehicles received attention.

Urban graciously lent me a spare magneto after Bruce Linsday came through with a promise of an overnight shipment magneto from Ohio. Timing (oops) as it was I decided to install Urban's magneto immediately while reserving Bruce's magneto as a backup. Thank you gentlemen.

While in Hot Springs the convention center was a buzz. With a big Bertha electric soldering iron (on loan from Billy Campbell) I soldered a small leak in the left fuel tank brass fitting. Followed by a new primary chain, and a second replacement magneto. All cannonballer bikes trucks and trailers were INSIDE on a clean smooth floor for show, maintenance and safe storage. People whom showed to say hi or lend a helping hand became a source of energy for those already weary from the schedule. I was happy to see friends like AMCA members Steve and Sandy Dowdy following along, stopping by to lend a helping hand in maintenance of the Ghost. The local AMCA chapter members showed in force and were helpful in locating parts or supplies.

Friday evening in Hot Springs many greazzzy cannonballer's cleaned up for the banquet dinner and party. Possibly the best meal of the entire event. Thank you very much Hot Springs for your generosity.

Saturday morning the planed route full of concerns for class one and possibly class two machine riders. Locals were warning the riders of the upcoming Magazine Mountain climb. Both up and down the mountain will be challenging for these primitive machines. My decision was, run my stock street gearing (4.07 ratio) and hope to power through the upcoming hill climb with torque and momentum (speed). We left early in the morning to find the entire town already up and waiting for our departure. Cameras were everywhere and locals were cheering us on as if we were superstars.

Once out of town and down the road a while Magazine Mountain presented itself. For the Ghost and I things could not get much better. I jumped right into my aggressive mode required to crest this size mountain on a single speed bike. The Ghost was up to the challenge again, not leaving me wanting.

After climbing through twisties, switch backs and hairpins nearing the top I was in the groove Mmm Mmm Mmmm. With calculated speed and control perfectly balanced I approached a blind left hander. While pulling the Ghost down into the hairpin curve passing through the apex I was presented with a new problem. SUPRISE, local photographers on the side of the road ON MY LINE. They were sitting on the road's edge paint strip with their feet over the outside right hand tire-track in search of the special low down photo.

Never do I ride 100% on the road. Always reserve some room for ??? and ??? presented itself. I pulled the Ghost down further into the corner where I could hear tires scratching at the road surface and sense the faint smell of Pirellis working to near capacity. Now passing through the corner I am seeing up close expression, faces off two photographers while lean angles are almost to my dizzy point, adrenaline rush junkies will understand.

I completed the turn and ran up the remainder of the mountain side with ease, disaster avoided. This is one of two favorite corners in the entire cannonball event for me. The Ghost proved its handling prowess like a tiger it bit into the corner and cut my best corner exit on the run. I sure would like a copy of the photos and or video shot by the surprised photographers. It would also be nice to have my prospective of their facial expressions captured on a film when they saw me coming around the corner.

Joe

Comment

• Keep it coming Joe, great reading!

Comment

• Magazine Mountain on the Cannonball

Hey Joe!
                            I'm having Cannonball withdrawal myself! I remember everyone saying that Magazine Mountain was going to be rough. It was pretty easy. There were only a few twisties and YES... the photographers were right on the curve. Fun times!

The one I remember being more of a challenge was the Sitgreaves pass in AZ going down into Oatman. Oh... and what about that rain in NM, merging onto the 70 mph Rt 40 in the pouring rain going about 45? lol Ah... good times!

I heard you went to Milwaukee. I'll bet that was fun... but you probably missed seeing all of us at the gas stops huh?

Take care. Hope to see you sometime.

Cris Sommer Simmons
                            Cannonball #89
                            "Team Effie"

Comment

• Hi Cris
                              Happy having you ridding along with my Cannonball event summarization. I am writing an account of the event as we crossed the country sequentially. Sitgreaves pass in AZ going down into Oatman is possibly my favorite segmant of the run, what a challenge. None the less we will get there soon. So don't go far.

Milwaukee with the Ghost was a great time as always in the city of bikes babes and brewers. Bill Rodencal did a much better job than I, recounting the Cannonball event during his evening of Cannonball presentation.

"but you probably missed seeing all of us at the gas stops huh?"

At the time I was having so much fun I thought I wasn't missing anything, Now with retrospect, viewing all the photos I guess I did miss alot but I am not regretful it was all good. The Ghost ride and the course was so much fun and challenging to run like the wind during the day, socializing as everybody came in at the end of the day was my bonus.

Joe
                              Last edited by Slojo; 11-15-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Joe,

All what happened may be a test. Even the lost 8 miles could be part of it. When you go stirring up ghosts like you did, there's no telling what might turn up. But like they say: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe that's true. Hope so. You sure made that '14 Harley stronger.

I hope the Gray Ghost does make Cannonball II, and that the route goes through or near Wisconsin.
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======
                                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X