Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    Dan

I think the Ghost will be retired from further Cannonball competition, and out of the dark shadows of my shop (the bat cave (hibernating bats))

Lonnie, we need some class rules in a hurry , two years is a short time.
    joe the only way you can beat brad is to ride an older bike!
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by rwm View Post
      joe the only way you can beat brad is to ride an older bike!
      So True! Also, even with a perfect score, if some one was in class3 on a 1929 bike, your chances of taking first place is nill. If there are future Cannonball runs, I would like to see the competing within the class and not class against class.

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Joe, I and everyone else hope you take us along on your next build like you did with the Ghost. This forum doe's not git better than that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
            Yepper!!!!!!!!!!! It would be pretty cool I think to be standing road side among the tall red woods when the Ghost and a couple of the Hen's cam blasting through imagine the sound
            That would be a thrill alright!!!

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                Yepper!!!!!!!!!!! It would be pretty cool I think to be standing road side among the tall red woods when the Ghost and a couple of the Hen's cam blasting through imagine the sound
                Hen's??? is that a polite way of saying (dare I say?) Chickens?

Hens , chickens I guess they do interchange. What color are the eggs? Yellow?

Sorry Wolfies could not help myself , I am sure you understand.
                joe

Comment

• Very green newby here to the antique motorcycle world. Over the past 3 days I read this massive thread and at times I could not be pulled away from the computer it was so fascinating. I had no clue who Joe Gardella was, and just over two weeks ago I didn't even know the Cannonball existed. I learned one day prior to seeing this thread that Joe was a top finisher in CB-II on a 1914 HD. Then after stumbling on this mega thread and reading nearly a year's worth of preparation all the while knowing during those writings he had no idea what the outcome of CB-II would be elevated the interest when reading all in a short time.

One thing that struck me was Joe's unique way of writing and providing enough detail that even someone less experienced can understand what he was doing as far as bike prep and modifications. His extraordinary level of machining skills, inventiveness, creativity, common sense, willingness and effort required to SHARE his ideas here, and last but not least a humble personality to top it off is a rare package.
                  On a side note I must comment what a pleasure it was to hear Joe interjecting comments about his interests other than bikes as well as daily challenges; for example all the pics of his log cabin addition just to name one. Thats one more little tidbit that makes the thread so interesting. Its not 100% about the Ghost. I've been involved in antique auto forums for many years and while I have seen extensive threads on restorations and what-not, nothing comes close to this thread in subject matter.

A big thanks to Cory as well for his unyielding dedication to posting pictures which are a necessity.

My enthusiasm to get more involved in antique motorcycles just grew exponentially after reading this. Oddly, I have no interest in modern street motorcycles. The custom bike building scene that gets all the media attention these days does nothing for me. Just personal interest I suppose as well as being less of a "sheepeople" person in general. This old iron requires a different personality and skill to ride and maintain as well as having an interest in American history which are less common in todays society.
                  Jason Zerbini
                  Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                  Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

• Congrats Joe! I got to shake your hand when you arrived at Spirit Lake, but other than that I hadn't talked to you personally since you and Art were at the Black Hills Road Run of 2009. .. Now that it's over, and Ghost might be semi-retired, and you might feel like sharing some intricate details, or just answering dumb questions, here's a few for starters:

dumb qu #1: did you retro-fit a roller bearing engine output? or was it bronze? what was stock on 1914, and when was roller made standard on HD??

#2: Cant remember on what page to find your lower end build. You cut your own flywheels, iirc. Where did your shafts come from?
                    and what kind of balance factor did you use on the wheels?

#3: What was your piston clearance this time, .010"? your comments on that choice?

#4: I saw your mug shot with Shinya Kimura. Do you know what his (Indian's) shortcomings amounted to this trip?

#5: comment: if you and Cory would print a dam subject index of this thread I wouldn't have to ask these dumb questions!! In fact, if you and Cory would print a dam book, ...... I'D BUY IT!
                    .. and it's okay to include a few pix of shep chasing squirrels and such, but I most like your machinery at work, with your "play-by-play", and your comments on weak spots you strengthened, like you've done through-out this thread.
                    Cannonball would have been so much less to me without this thread. You'll never get rid of me now, unless you write that book!!

#4: what kind of rpm did you average on the midwest plains?

Comment

• Jason, that was a very articulate post. It's great to hear that the allure of the old motorcycle world has got it's grip on you. History is what it's all about for me, that and the satisfaction of jockeying an old 'sickle down the highway. Did I mention the likeminded people? That's probably the best part of it all. It's been too many times to count but I've ran into a ton of folks on modern motorcycles that are just blown away when they see me (I usually travel alone) pull up to a gas stop with camping gear on board. They never seem to cease being amazed that one would risk using an old motorcycle as a touring bike.... I tell folks that they did it back in the day on worse roads, so why shouldn't one do it now??? O.K. now I'm wandering... so back to the thread. Joe put in a lot of time taking us through his build and I was amazed at nearly every turn in the road. That dude has got some skills!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• Phil!!! I always get a chuckle at your posts..... an index would be an enormous task!!! Let's hope Joe gets you the answers you need!!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Jason

In response too your Oct ! 20!2 comment:

The gang is going to think I paid you to say such kind words. I am humbled and don't have the ability to respond to this complementary comment.

Speaking for Cory and I Thank you Jason !

I think the Ole Hen's will disagree with you after all the grief I have given them lately , all in fun and they know it " four " sure. If they didn't I would surly have a black eye by now.

joe

Comment

• Jason

Don't discredit those chopper shows and late model bikes. Those shown's , bikes and the people are just as enthusiastic and exciting as our bikes and us remember , two wheels! Give them time , lend a hand they might come around , no sense in giving them the cold shoulder it doesn't elevate our motorcycle momentum.

joe

Comment

• Phil

That was you? why didn't you say so. I am not good at the name and faces game after to long, sorry. Thank you on the "Congrats Joe!"

Today I put a new set of chains and another 70 miles on the Ghost , what an improvement , it sounds , feels and runs like a new bike!

Answers to Q's

1) 1914 twin motors came standard with a self aligning ball bearing on the output side. The outer race has a spherical ID allowing the parallel sets of balls running in the inner race to pivot and run on a misaligned axis.

2) I made new shafts for the sprocket and pinion shaft. To save time the crank pin was made from a 1 1/4" big twin crank pin that I cut down the length and reworked to fit my application. I think the balance factor was around 55 % but am not sure , look into the article it should be posted.

3) Cannonball II piston clearance was up to .007" , I did have one minor piston seizure on CB II , early day one. For the forged CP pistons .007" is as tight as I would fit them. Forged pistons are a little noisy.

4) Shinya had a multitude of difficulties , I was unable to keep up with them all. They seemed to start CB II right where they left off last time.

5) Hmm ???

second 4) I ran 55 to 65 MPH continuously which equates to 3000 to 4000 RPM approximately (about 3.9 ratio I haven't run all the numbers yet) , I believe the Ghost hit 85 MPH and still has more in it with it's current state of tune. I have not had it wound out completely yet.

Steve Barber's proven tough 1915 is reliable and fast , he was clocked at 75 MPH , The Ghost surprised Steve and his fine running 15 , his comment was something like , "running a little better this time around" He is fun to ride with, twists the throttle like he is ringing out a wet wash cloth.

Now if he would just buy some modern tires and rims , and those shorts ???

joe
                              Last edited by Slojo; 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• qu Joe: " 5) Hmm ???"

Joe, that was meant to be entirely complimentary, and that all of that "under-the-hood" stuff is what made the event, for me.
                                Ever notice how "Deadliest Catch" and other reality shows are always making the biggest deal out of some soap-opera crap with the crew? What happened to the fish?!! To me, the Cannonball was about the motorcycle, the mechanical, and what you did to improve its endurance.
                                What's Ghost's rear tire diameter?

did Barber wear long-johns under those knickers when you crossed the Alps?

Comment

Working...
                                X