!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARLEY DAVIDSON JD PERFORMANCE CAMS
    FASS MIKEY VILS in collaboration with "The godfather of Harley Davidson performance camshafts" JIMMY LEINEWEBER is now offering a newly developed profile camshaft to increase your JD's horsepower and midrange torque. Manufactured from 8620 billet steel, heat treated and ready to install with no additional modifications.
    Price: $775.00
    Contact Mike Vils email: fassmikey@hotmail.com
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Sorry this is showing up late... I've been out ridin' and roasting in the sun!!!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Here's some more shots for your viewing pleasure..... Maybe Joe will show up and provide some commentary....

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• That stuff is awesome! Go Joe!

Comment

• 2010 M/C Cannonball reveled the week points within the Ghost. Piston to cylinder wall clearance, intake valve float and magneto winding insulation. While preparing the Ghost for the 2012 Cannonball run a new rear tire was the only chassis requirement.

The motor changes include piston to cylinder wall increase in clearance, .007" now. Next, a different magneto builder assured me his magneto rebuild would make the entire run trouble free so I sent him the failed magneto from Cannonball run 2010 for rework. I am running Cannonball 2012 with the same magneto I started Cannonball 20I0 with.

Valve train modifications include MS-90 material for the exhaust valve guides. I made thin wall sleeve guides with a flange on the bottom end that shoulders up against the lower end cast in place valve guide when pressed in. After the guides are pressed into place a newly designed part was made and put into place to prohibit the guide from coming out, this part is held in place by valve spring pressure and should guarantee a secure valve guide.

All reciprocating valve train parts were studied redesigned and manufactured to my new specs reducing reciprocating weights by approximately %25. Next, attention was directed to the valve springs where increased valve spring pressure was developed by newly manufactured valve springs. Changes in wire size, coil count and pitch were required to make the intake springs fit into the limited space provided by the early design of the 1914 motor's valve pockets.

The intake cam followers were flying off the cam enough to collide into the gear chest 1/4 inch above the normal cam lift. New design and manufactured parts allow the installation of additional springs inside the gear chest to contain the cam follower's path along the cam profile. It's not Desmo but for a 1914 Harley its the next best thing.

Deep breathing for the Ghost to allow 10,000 feet elevations capabilities. This was done by first cleaning up the ports a little. Mostly one intake port had to be worked on the other three ports were fine. A new intake manifold was designed and built (thanks Frank for the surface work) to increase air flow to the ports. The big question is will the little Schebler screw on carburetor be capable of filling the manifold, and will the small early ports be able to transfer the greater air mass into the cylinders.

Its now past 2:15 AM, after some shut eye I will finish the bike today (plug wire ends and fuel filter cotton balls in the dirt traps) and fire it for the first time since the modifications.

joe

Comment

• The Gray Ghost rides again. Off for a road run everything is in perfect order. First start was instant and easier to pedal over with the new gear ratio. Cannonball here we come (Davenport also). Cory will have more photos to post today.

joe

Comment

• Looks like Joe really put his nose to the grindstone if he's already out riding!!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• First ride was a breeze. The Ghost blasted off without a sputter , I didn't even touch the carburetor settings.

In order to run the entire Cannonball event on one rear tire I will keep the riding to a minimum prior to the M/C event of the year.

First ride impressions, zero to thirty five miles per hour is a slip the clutch affair. At forty the motor is still unsure of the new gear ratio yet pulls it without any fanfair. Fifty to fifty five mph are the speeds I ran today while allowing the new parts to get friendly with one and another, it runs smooth as glass, the mirrors are clear as a calm morning still lake and everything says lets go.

The Ghost has a bit more refined feel, handling, smooth motor, everything is complimentary of its accompanying parts if it wasn't all ready it now has has become one with itself.

The screw on Schebler carburetor now reaches about three inches to the left and extends about two inches beyond the one inch wider than stock gas tank. This does not cause a problem and goes unnoticed while riding. Prior to riding today I added the traditional Schebler air pickup to the bottom of the carburetor in order to force feed it more air at speed. I will now be able to adjust the carb while in motion without burning my fingure on the cylinder fins.

Front suspension is a bit softer with the new spring rate. The rear brake pulls down speed better with a newly revised brake cam and the front brake shoes are adjusted to center and balance the double leading shoes to a new more perfect setting.

All changes are a bit subtle except the gear ratio. This new gear is the most significantly noticeable alteration, for now. Once I turn the throttle on at speed I will be able to determine weather the motor can cast a shadow on the gear ratio.
                      joe
                      Last edited by Slojo; 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Oh Boy, fun reading thanks Joe and Cory!

Comment

• Back from Davenport with the !914 Ghost. Man I am fired up ,,, Cannonball next week. I met several interesting people this week in Davenport who have been along for the ride, this article since its inception, inspirational.

It is always fun meeting new people with similar interests but those who approach me and tell me they have been riding along with the Ghost build and the comments they have, make documenting this worth while.

There was so much at Davenport to find and purchase it was unreal. Me, I just went for the social event as Cannonball costs are already accumulating fast and I haven't left yet.

The bike appears to be in order, me I am a second guessing everything, what did I forget? What should I pack? How much cold weather and rain gear should I bring? Do I run with a tool pack as I did in 2010 of should I go light? What about final gear ratio 4.06 as 2010 or should I stick with the current 3.90 ratio? 3.90 is tall in the stop and go big city traffic but perfect for the open road. What about the climbs into the mountains , east, west,?

I ran into Charlie from Australia at Davenport. He and I have been working together for a few years on building him a twin carb Pan Head like my 48. He has finished his build and now is in the tuning process.
                          I will see him in Milwaukee also while on Cannonball. Its always good seeing old friends especially those who live so unbelievably far away.

I look forward to seeing and meeting "all of you" on Cannonball, come to one of the stops if possible and introduce yourself !

joe
                          Last edited by Slojo; 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                            Back from Davenport with the !914 Ghost. Man I am fired up ,,, Cannonball next week. I met several interesting people this week in Davenport who have been along for the ride, this article since its inception, inspirational.

It is always fun meeting new people with similar interests but those who approach me and tell me they have been riding along with the Ghost build and the comments they have, make documenting this worth while.

There was so much at Davenport to find and purchase it was unreal. Me, I just went for the social event as Cannonball costs are already accumulating fast and I haven't left yet.

The bike appears to be in order, me I am a second guessing everything, what did I forget? What should I pack? How much cold weather and rain gear should I bring? Do I run with a tool pack as I did in 2010 of should I go light? What about final gear ratio 4.06 as 2010 or should I stick with the current 3.90 ratio? 3.90 is tall in the stop and go big city traffic but perfect for the open road. What about the climbs into the mountains , east, west,?

I ran into Charlie from Australia at Davenport. He and I have been working together for a few years on building him a twin carb Pan Head like my 48. He has finished his build and now is in the tuning process.
                            I will see him in Milwaukee also while on Cannonball. Its always good seeing old friends especially those who live so unbelievably far away.

I look forward to seeing and meeting "all of you" on Cannonball, come to one of the stops if possible and introduce yourself !

joe
                            Joe
                            It's a no brainer.
                            4.06 to Milwaukee 3.90 the rest of the way, save that motor. Even up the Rockies it looks like you will pull the climbs with hp you extracted..
                            It's a no brainer for me too. 4.10 all the way (maybe a 13T in the Rockies) my 9hp 14 will not pull a 15 tooth.
                            Weather---thats a bit of crap shoot, I'm taking an umbrella I'll be riding side saddle and whistling dixie ---- again.
                            Good luck and all the best to you on the ride.

Victor

Comment

• Victor

"4.06 to Milwaukee 3.90 the rest of the way"

Did you read my mind? I believe you are correct, I just don't want to change sprockets.

My goal is as little maintenance as possible, ride, wipe down the oil, fill the gas tank, check the oil, ride again.

The 15 tooth presents a slight problem in constant stop and go situations. I haven't attempted any challenging climbs or top speed runs yet.

Victor it will be interesting listening to the pipes of the two 14's running together, I look forward to the opportunity riding along side you!

joe

Comment

• JOE a challenging climb is one thing. Wait to you try it huffing at 10,000 feet. anyway good luck and have fun.
                                rob ronky #10507
                                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                                X