X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forgot
    I think you have smaller dia. tires...More rpm to go 70mph

Comment

• [QUOTE=10E;121642] I can see you doing you doing a wheelie as you summit the pass whilst I'll be sitting side saddle waiting to make the top.

Thanks for the laughter Victor. I will get to the numbers tomorrow.

Jim Wall, Fast Jim! It is my intention to run one set of gears across the country for 2012. I changed gears while running the east coast mountain range for 2010 Cannonball (used up a primary chain in a hurry) but in the west I stayed with the highway gearing. It appears the Ghost makes a generous amount of torque, as it pulled the Sitgreavess Pass without a complaint. Climbing Sitgreavess Pass is when I first truly realized the Ghost was something very special.

Gearing the Ghost higher for the flat land would put the full clutch engagement speed closer to 40 MPH. Leaving the gear ratio as it is will limit speed to 70 MPH. Valve springs and the cam follower stud for 1914 are week and would need to be upgraded for increased RPM. Intake valve float is the limiter and their isn't enough room under the expanded fuel tanks to increase the valve spring size and strength. I must remember this is not a race it is an endurance run!

joe
      Last edited by Slojo; 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• I'm thinkin' 70 mph could feel like 100 on that time machine!!! That's really hauling the mail!!!! Endurance run... race... I guess it might be hard to get a group of riders together with a start and a finish and not have it feel like a race....
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          I'm thinkin' 70 mph could feel like 100 on that time machine!!! That's really hauling the mail!!!! Endurance run... race... I guess it might be hard to get a group of riders together with a start and a finish and not have it feel like a race....
          Very true about the race conditions Cory. The Ghost handles so well that other than the valve float 70 is a happy speed .

joe

Comment

• joe can you make the carb venturi larger for higher altitude? also steve L in maryland had springs made up.i think they are 40 lbs. they are not christmas tree in shape.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Rob

I have a local spring shop that will make any spring I need. The problem is their is just no room for the larger springs without cutting larger valve pockets in the fuel tanks. Then adding strength to the cam follower stud next the stud plate becomes week ....and so on you get the idea. Performance can be found in other areas. If I find enough power I will gear it higher. Most likely gearing will remain as is so the clutch won't have to be slipped any higher.

Early Scheblers have two air intake ports on the throttle body. Schebler carburetors don't have Venturi's they are primitive constant velocity carb's with spring loaded "choke system" at the intake end of the carb and the shape of the casting in the lower end of the carb. . First air enters the carb from the center of the float bowl stem picking up fuel from a single needle jet down in the float bowl. Next, the fuel rich
              air mixture heads up to the mixing chamber where mixing takes place with the fresh intake air from the "normal" CV intake port, The blend then passes through a sized bore that carries it past the traditional throttle plate and into the manifold. The single needle jet is cam controlled for varying the mixture by way of lifting the needle jet when the throttle is opened.

joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Weights and Measurements

Performance comes from well grounded ideas followed by weights and measurements. Currently a study is in process to determine where weight can be removed and measurements can be applied to achieve air volume increases. I will attempt to increase both air velocity and volume passing through and push the engine RPM higher.

A look into the numbers resulted in the following information.

Current gear ratio, 4.074. 14 tooth engine sprocket followed by 35 tooth countershaft . Next set 27 tooth counter shaft 44 tooth rear wheel sprocket . With an 86 inch circumference rear wheel (.50 % used tire). 70 MPH equals 3500 RPM.

35/14 X 44/27 =4.074 gear ratio,

1500 RPM equals 30 MPH, this is where the clutch is allowed full engagement.
                80 MPH will require 4000 RPM with the 4.074 gear ratio. These are real world numbers to set as a goal for the current upgrades.

Tonight a piece of HD factory literature turned up a 3.9 ratio for flat lander twins. Something to think about.

joe
                Last edited by Slojo; 06-09-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                  Weights and Measurements

Performance comes from well grounded ideas followed by weights and measurements. Currently a study is in process to determine where weight can be removed and measurements can be applied to achieve air volume increases. I will attempt to increase both air velocity and volume passing through and push the engine RPM higher.

A look into the numbers resulted in the following information.

Current gear ratio, 4.074. 14 tooth engine sprocket followed by 35 tooth countershaft . Next set 27 tooth counter shaft 44 tooth rear wheel sprocket . With an 86 inch circumference rear wheel (.50 % used tire). 70 MPH equals 3500 RPM.

35/14 X 44/27 =4.074 gear ratio,

1500 RPM equals 30 MPH, this is where the clutch is allowed full engagement.
                  80 MPH will require 4000 RPM with the 4.074 gear ratio. These are real world numbers to set as a goal for the current upgrades.

Tonight a piece of HD factory literature turned up a 3.9 ratio for flat lander twins. Something to think about.

joe
                  Good work Joe! It really isn't that complicated. I like to find rpm at 60 mph because that's a mile a minute, which is a step closer to revs per minute.
                  But the real wizardry is in what you do to that engine, man! Do those pistons loose, and I'll pray for your mag!

Comment

• Joe /Phil
                    Nothing to do for a few mins.
                    At 60mph with 4.074 and 86" wheel motor rpm = 3001.496
                    I tried a 15 tooth (3.802 ratio ) a few weeks ago on the central valley flat lands. It didn't want to pull it, it was raining and blowing a little, so went back to 14t. I've since made a change and going to try 15 tooth again on the Alturas 3 day pre-16
                    run. This is high desert with a couple of good passes to get over. My gut feeling is it won't pull at Alturas but maybe on the flatlands with no big headwinds.
                    Joe, With the condition (read horses) of your motor,I can't believe you will have any problems pulling a 3.802/3.900 ratio except for the fun and games of more clutch slipping to get going.
                    All the best.
                    Victor

"We are all in the gutter,but some of are looking at the stars" Oscar Wild 1854 - 1900

Comment

• Sidetracked

Held up on the 14 Cannonballer waiting for parts, I took time to detail unfinished business on the Barber Century Race bike. Fuel line, axle adjusters and pedal cranks completed. I fitted a 12 twin chain drive left pedal crank arm with a .25" inch spacer on the right side aligning the two sprockets and a .71" on the left side taking up clearance. That completes the bike assembly except the magneto and a master link on the block chain.

After all my research I think that a 1912 single cylinder left side pedal crank forging is the same as a 1912 twin belt drive forging with different machine work. Single cylinder crank arms have a left side 5/8 flange that can be machined 1/4" shorter increasing the shaft length and moving the crank over to the right for alignment and a 1/4" spacer to maintain side thrust. I will wait until this is proven fact, then I may machine the single pedal crank shaft into a twin shaft.

joe

Comment

• I just can't get enough photos of this bike!!!

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

• Wolfe Pack Beware

September rapidly closing in, some lose details on the Ghost must be resolved. Today was spent updating the lighting. I accidentally stumbled on Rayovac flash lights that will be used on the Ghost, they are powerful. Modern technology is impressive.

The focal adjusting lights use two AA batteries, four LED's, a magnifying len and are mounted on the same Hydraulic hose used to rubber mount the lights for the 2010 Cannonball rally.

One of these lights would be sufficient to guide the way through the night hours so why not four. With these stop in your tracks lights the Ghost will be out shinning for Wolfe Pack riders if the sun sets on our fun.

The lower end of the motor should be buttoned up this weekend and exhaust valve guides will become the largest hurdle. Performance enhancments are now in process, I am excited about the changes brought to this program.

joe

Comment

• Joe!!! That's some serious lighting! Do you have a dimmer switch function?

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• seriously ugly.
                                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                                X