No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice racing somewhere in the Midwest. Probably in the 60's and might be Michigan. I bought them 20 years ago or so at a swapmeet.

Jerry

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...and/Iceracing/

Comment

• Well I had to double check with family members but I had it correct this time, it was the Detroit River. It wasn’t any organized event. Just a bunch of family members and there friends would travel down from Dearborn and unload at Wyandotte and spend the day having a ball. I’m too much of a sissy to freeze like that anymore.

What a small world. We have property in the city of Glen Arbor in Leelanau County and enjoy canoeing on the Platte and climbing the Sleeping Bear Dunes each year. Spend most every August up north for the past 50 years, and have been to the drive-in theater in Honor lots of times. I keep saying I’m going to look up Steve Faber one of these times thru but have yet to do so. That’s some of the most beautiful touring country in the world to me up there. Pretty damn lonely in the winter though. …Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

• Chuck
        We were ice racing on Sugarloaf lake near Chelsea Michigan.
        Steve
        Is Steve Faber an error? actually Tom Faber from Michigan?
        Last edited by Slojo; 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Your right Joe, I meant to say Tom Faber. Darn it. Now I've been wrong twice already this year.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
            Your right Joe, I meant to say Tom Faber. Darn it. Now I've been wrong twice already this year.
            Look at it this way Steve...ya got all the "wrong" over with already. You should be good for the rest of the year!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• One small step for bike building.......

Started my day thinking about my furnace, why I don’t really know, these things pop into my mind for no reason. Work continued on the program for the frame rail when a call came in from my spring shop. Seems they finished my order early.
              I dropped what I was doing and went for a ride to Howell. At the spring shop was my newly manufactured fork booster spring. This particular auxiliary booster spring mounts exclusively on 1923 61 inch J models.
              Upon my return a peculiar noise was coming from the basement (The recently installed basement is another story in itself). An inspection turned up the furnace exhaust evacuation fan failed (perhaps I should start picking lottery numbers). This failure nearly stalled the motor while the fan rotor was rubbing on the housing. Its January in Michigan, priority change is mandatory. The exact replacement fan and housing is in the Graingers book for $210. They will get a call when they open first thing in the morning.
              Following, a couple photos one is the two sets of springs. The set on the left are exact replacements the opposing set are .030 inches larger wire size offering twenty eight pounds greater resistance at 3/4 inch compression.
              The other photo is a shot of the operation panel on the machine I am trying to get running for the frame rails. It shows tool paths for the contour generation in three dimensions, a confusing image.
              Soon this site will turn into a bike building affair again.
              Joe 1-5-10
              Last edited by Slojo; 01-05-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• I guess we're wandering a little with this ice racing topic but I figured some of you may enjoy this..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--bx0CRo6Co
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• Have you managed to get that furnace fixed Joe?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory
                    The furnace part, an exhaust fan blower assembly came in yesterday and fit near perfectly. Installation was a breeze no pun intended. The machine program for the frame rail is nearly perfected. Wednesday a finish part was produced and the end results were a proper shape on the both ends. The problem was four tool marks towards the termination point of the cut path. The transition from one radius to the other had issues that require attention.
                    What I have learned is the do’s and don’ts of this machines control capabilities. First off for the complexity of the cut path cutter compensation is not an option. A reprogram of the tool-path was necessary to operate without cutter comp. Second is the ability of the machine to properly calculate extended complex math functions in one line of information. For this issue several math functions are handled within another format and then put to use in the final cutter path. This worked remarkably better.
                    A fresh attempt to resolve these issues will be tried this morning. Perhaps I will finally have a positive report for tonight.
                    Joe

Comment

• SHEESH! Can't you just braze on an old piece of of angle iron like a farmer would do back in the dirty thirties?

Comment

• Barry
                        Great idea angle iron actually those who know me well know of my hard headed attitude I just don’t give up easy. Lonnie offered me the frame pieces required to finish my frame I am in to deep to give up. Success is just around the corner.
                        Joe

Comment

• Making the Complex Simple

Success! , today after all my persistence the CNC control gave into relentless effort. It has taken over a week of programming to generate a tool path capable of producing the desired shape of the oval tapered frame rail.
                          The machine was not capable of utilizing cutter compensation on this particular operation that in it-self consumed most of my time to determine. Once determined the cutter comp. could not be used a new program format had to be developed. To process the part properly the program had to generate the entire tool path and allow for cutter size and stock allowance after a rough cut to follow up with a finish pass.
                          This is my first program for this type of machine and control so there was a learning curve involved. It would take up to much space and time explaining what took place here so I will be brief as possible.
                          The shape of the frame rail is more complex than it appears. As the cutter traverses along the part length the width and height of the frame rail continuously change. The radiuses and the radial geometry change also. Essentially the tool must wrap around the work piece during the linear cut. The tool path revolves around the centerline of the work piece and two pairs of radii.
                          The program is really two forms generated in one quadrant the rest is mirrored except directions, start and finish points.
                          Tool speed was 2000 rpm for rough cuts, 4500 rpm for finishing. Feed rates for roughing were 40 inches per minute and finish cuts 100 inches per minute. Cycle time total ran about 1/2 hour. This can be refined for total cycle times around 20 minute’s maybe.
                          I used 1/2 X 7/8 chrome molly tubing then press-fit 4’’ deep and plug welded a 1/4 X 1/2 X 5” chrome molly tube inside the small tapered end. This is similar to the original process Harley used. The added 1/2” length will allow for extra attachment to the axel plate.
                          Following photos will show the steps of the process taken to achieve the desired end results. Three photos show the process on the operator panel CRT, actually LCD. One photo shows the smaller interior form and illustrates the finish shape without the cutter compensated the other two are with the cutter taken into consideration.
                          Take note, one photo shows how close and difficult it is to run this machine without colliding into stationary objects such as the tailstock. The rapid rates are so fast that an accident with this machine is like a head on auto collision.
                          Finally you will see a pair of snow boots in the photo that shows much of the machine while in operation. Those are my feet up and in a relaxing position. After all the work I put into this process it was time for me to rest as the machine does my work. Perhaps a grinder and file would have been easier.
                          Why take the low road when the view is much better from the high road.
                          Joe 12-09-2010
                          Last edited by Slojo; 01-09-2010, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• He's..........back!!!

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• i love it joe awsome stuff right there!!!glad to see shes moving forward again,all the best to ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X