No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of luck on tomorrows alternatives.......

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post

I thought I was the only guy still using rounds for rafters cut off my own land. Those rafter centers look pretty wide. Are those 3 feet apart or are my eyes deceiving me?
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• So Joe, does having worked for HD, and owning both Harleys & 1 Indian make me blasphemer persona non grata? I remember Bucky and an unknown gentleman almost coming to blows over HD vs. Indian at Oley 15 years ago at the firehouse. Guess I'll not use that Indian brake lever on my WLA bobber, don't want to incur any wrath!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Looks like your guilty chas.... I am as well..... As for coming to blows over it well, that seems a little extreme... Good natured ribbing is should always be welcomed though...
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
            I thought I was the only guy still using rounds for rafters cut off my own land. Those rafter centers look pretty wide. Are those 3 feet apart or are my eyes deceiving me?
            Herb
            Your eyes are deceiving you the round rafter center distance is not three feet they are four feet apart just as the rest of the cabin. The new rafters are larger than the old ones and mostly made of hickory.
            Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by chas View Post
              So Joe, does having worked for HD, and owning both Harleys & 1 Indian make me blasphemer persona non grata? I remember Bucky and an unknown gentleman almost coming to blows over HD vs. Indian at Oley 15 years ago at the firehouse. Guess I'll not use that Indian brake lever on my WLA bobber, don't want to incur any wrath!
              I don’t have the time to brush up on my Latin so will you please translate Ab-initio your Latin comment for me? Besides I thought I was clear on my position regarding Indian Harley under the same roof. ....Grata? Help me out here.
              Joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                Looks like your guilty chas.... I am as well..... As for coming to blows over it well, that seems a little extreme... Good natured ribbing is should always be welcomed though...

Right on Cory
                Joe

Comment

• Preparations

A new day, first on order is to determine which of several processes will be used to make the complex taper oval frame rail. After long deliberation the decision was made to machine from round stock the frame rail on the live tooling CNC lathe.
                  This machine came to me busted badly (not Badly(noun) the artist for the upcoming Gray Ghost Rider t-shirts). Since its arrival this machine has been in the way, time consuming and costly for me to repair. Now is time for it to start to pay its way. So I began setting the machine up to mill the frame leg from round to tapered oval.
                  First thing after tooling up the machine was to test the live tooling function. It did not impress me. The noise that came out of the device was not tolerable. After a change of hats it was back to machine repair Dude. Fortunately the problem turned out to be an alignment issue. Just a couple hours worth of work once it was determined what the fault was.
                  The programming of this complex form must be accomplished on a CAD system something I don’t have. Tomorrow I will place a call to a friend who might be able to help me with the programming issue. He is a master at this type of tool path generation.
                  A couple photos will follow showing the set-up for the upcoming machining operation.
                  Joe
                  Last edited by Slojo; 12-27-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Ah Ab-initio "from the beginning", yes definitions. My comment was jokingly referring the 50 year rivalry between H-D & Indian resulting in one 'shunned' as a pace bike on your planned adventure. I can see why thou, many are low brow no-good nicks, or so I've heard.

I was a bit puzzled as to the material grades you are using, particularly for the squished tubes.

Comment

• Charlie, Eddie the pace biker is welcome not shunned I thought that was made clear. You know Indian riders must first be tested for their temperament prior to being welcomed into the fold. Speaking of Eddie where have you been Eddie.
                        The squished pipe is of 4130 Chrome molly steel. The “squishing” process will probably be deleted and an alternative process is now in the plans. Lonnie at competition e-mailed me with a notice that he has the frame rails cast up and ready for shipping. I explained to him that the challenge was overwhelming and I must attempt to finish the part in house.
                        “I can see why thou, many are low brow no-good nicks, or so I've heard” What? Go back to the Latin.
                        Joe

Comment

• I thought we spoke French around here !!! Give it Hell Joe..Carl Pusherman

Comment

• !@#$%^&* Entertaining Numbers Again

Carl
                            Charlie is a good old friend giving me a tough time because he can.
                            Today I spent in the books learning how to operate the four axis function mainly Y axis (XYZ AND C). The C axis is a rotary axis that revolves around the Z axis. Once under way for this operation only two axis are in use during the cutting mode Y and Z, X and C are for positioning only. Y axis has several restrictions prohibiting it from being operated in a usual fashion such as X and Z. Studying paid off, after inputting a short program a simulation test cut with the Y axis proved encouraging.
                            Next is to incorporate cutter radius compensation. This simplifies programming and gives control to the machine operator to adjust for cutter radius.
                            After the cutter comp. issue is put to rest an additional operation for the first radius of the four separate oval forms is ready to be tested this math required a little time to develop. The machine has an option called “User Task Two”. The option allows for math functions to be incorporated into the part program allowing the machine to re-program itself using equations, variables, trigonometry and algebraic functions as it completes its previous task. With this function I think I can develop a short program in house to form this complex shape with minimal data input.
                            The four radiuses being formed are actually two radiuses in opposing quadrants. This will simplify the programming.
                            Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                              Carl
                              Today I spent in the books learning how to operate the four axis function mainly Y axis (XYZ AND C). The C axis is a rotary axis that revolves around the Z axis. Once under way for this operation only two axis are in use during the cutting mode Y and Z, X and C are for positioning only. Y axis has several restrictions prohibiting it from being operated in a usual fashion such as X and Z. Studying paid off, after inputting a short program a simulation test cut with the Y axis proved encouraging.
                              Next is to incorporate cutter radius compensation. This simplifies programming and gives control to the machine operator to adjust for cutter radius.
                              After the cutter comp. issue is put to rest an additional operation for the first radius of the four separate oval forms is ready to be tested this math required a little time to develop. The machine has an option called “User Task Two”. The option allows for math functions to be incorporated into the part program allowing the machine to re-program itself using equations, variables, trigonometry and algebraic functions as it completes its previous task. With this function I think I can develop a short program in house to form this complex shape with minimal data input.
                              The four radiuses being formed are actually two radiuses in opposing quadrants. This will simplify the programming.
                              Joe
                              Wow!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                                Carl
                                Joe
                                yeah thats what i was thinking of doing too
                                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                                X