!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.o. View Post

    I wonder what this rear wheel is gonna like like by the time it gets to Santa Monica?
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • gary.h
    replied
    im applauding here joe ,shes a creation of true craftmanship its gonna be fun for you..all the best to you in the cannonball...YEEHAA!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • indianut
    replied
    Nice Work! I do not think you will have any problems on this ride. I do have my doubts about attempting a Cross Country Ride on a Board Track Racer with lay down handlebars though! I hope he has fully thought it through. Good luck to ALL!

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    Well done Joe. Craftsmanship lives in America.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Following are three You Tube Videos in order of the first three start up attempts. After these first firings additional fuel was added and all went well from there. I will get some riding videos posted later.
    Joe



    Last edited by Slojo; 08-30-2010, 09:06 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 45OZ
    replied
    YEA !!! Way TO GO JOE !!!!!!!
    Looks Better than new !!!
    Congrats
    Oz

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied












    Leave a comment:


  • Tom Lovejoy
    replied
    Right on Joe! cant wait to see it flying down the road, sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing this build all the way through. This is the most exciting stuff I can remember since I joined back in the 80's. The Cannon Ball run as got me all worked up, funny since I am just watching from a distance. But alot of folks are going to be following this thing real close. Sure hope all goes well for as many as possible on the run, as I would like to see a bunch of ya ride in at the finish. Congratulations once again, well done and best of luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • junkyarddog
    replied
    I don't like to post much, but I have to tell that I am relieved that it is going.
    Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Congrats Joe!!!! We have all been waiting to hear this news!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    The gray ghost lives !

    She's a runner. 20 maybe 30 miles so far and one bad oil leak (cam cover thread striped and missed until to late) a slipping seat bracket and to high of a gear ratio. It runs about 40 mph before the clutch can be fully engaged. SSSMMMMMOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHH as silk unbelievable honestly I don' believe it myself.

    It fired immediately, the biggest issue was keeping it running, pour more gas in the tank and a little carb tuning latter problem solved.

    Tomorrow the gremlins, make a strap to prohibit the seat from tipping back, finish mounting the license plate, take care of the cam chest oil leak and change the front sprocket from 15 to a 14 tooth.

    The rear stand is for a 1915 and raises the bike to high, compound that with the short tires and you know the Paul Harvey (or do you?).

    I hit 60 mph and left my video crew behind passing through the twisties. The bike handles like no other H.D. I have ever run. It must be the Pirellis, my remanufactured frame rails in the rear section and those Ducati Desmo parts slipped into the valve train. The seat pogo stick is perfect, long travel and stiff enough to prevent bottoming out short of an earth quake.

    To say that I am pleased so far would be an under statement. Also it is a high rider I will be able to see above everything short of a Mack truck. This was in the plans from the beginning, the 1912 and later frame bikes are for those with a shorter inseam and cause taller people to become cramped, the handle bars and your knees get tangled. On the other hand the ground is a long way away from the seat, fortunatly not unmanageable for me.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
    Hope it runs like a watch! Get some video if possible.
    Ditto!!!











    Leave a comment:


  • silentgreyfello
    replied
    Hope it runs like a watch! Get some video if possible.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    The Eleventh Hour

    Tightening up loose ends today I paced myself so as not to not get used up like I did yesterday. On the to do list was, finish the left grip and control for the mag/decompression. A new inner handle bar slide had to be made. Both slides I have are with issues that prohibited me from using them,,,picky I guess.

    Instead of the traditional throttle/spark inner cable from music wire I installed spring steel. This wire comes on a large coil and when removed from the coil it straightens out, it has no predetermined coiled form. This works better than any wire I have ever used. A button head cap screw installed for now to secure the throttle sleeve it is a 6-40 thread and all I had was 6-32 in fillester. I should have turned on my hardware store and produced a few proper screws.

    Next was to temporarily install the right side fuel tank. It fit with the valve train already installed, a tight fit.

    I sealed the valve pockets and adjusted the intake valves with new push rods made today. The last set of push rods (to short for high ratio rocker arms) made are for stock rocker arms not the high ration rocker arms being used on this bike. The new push rods will go to heat treat this week, for now I flame hardened the tips of two out of eight push rods so I can run the bike.

    A N.O.S. porcelain Michigan license plate installed looks good on the bike. Tomorrow a lower bracket will be made to finish the installation. I have incorporated rubber isolation mounting to care for the plate.

    If the stars align tonight there will be several friends coming over tomorrow to help get the bike off the stand and First Fire the Gray Ghost.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 08-29-2010, 07:38 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    You are just about there Joe!!! It will all be worth it when you are rolling down the highway!!! The Grey Ghost is gonna be a contender!!!











    Leave a comment:

Working...