!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MJW
    replied
    Joe, I'm curious about the baffles below the front piston, is there a reason why the rear has none? What purpose do they serve?...Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Lunch brake,,, The motor is now in the frame. I am in process resolving the upper rear motor mount fitment. The mock motor fit well, this one has an alignment issue.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Chris
    In the above picture look at the rod position/angle, it is at bottom dead center and their is still over 1 1/2 inches clearance between the flywheel and the piston bottom skirt. With the original design of early motors( large diameter flywheels, long piston skirts long rod) It would require a 6 1/2 inch stroke to consume the current piston flywheel clearance with this style of piston. Remember, this motor has to live and pedal start with short leverage 1914 crank arms.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    Chris,
    The stroke was increased out of necessity to clear the 1 1/4 inch crank pin and its larger nuts.

    Joe
    Good story Joe. Stick with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Closing in

    Today a trip to the east side to pick up material for the exhaust lifter pin then off to the west side for lash caps (stay out of the hub, center side).

    A pass through a centerless grinder then into my surface grinder, O.D. grinder and demagnetizer later the exhaust lifter pins were ready to install. Next the Ti. ex. valves were cut to finish length and lash caps were modified to fit the new valves.

    With everything ready I just need to confirm a question on rings prior to final assembly.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Chris

    As mentioned earlier in the article the stroke was increased 1/8 inch per side giving a 1/4 additional stroke yielding a 66 inch motor. The stroke was increased out of necessity to clear the 1 1/4 inch crank pin and its larger nuts.

    I desired a contemporary for today style piston that is why it has the high wrist pin. I could actually cut 1 1/2 inches out of my rod and cylinder length with this piston still able to clear the flywheels. The piston is heavy and structurally sound. It could use some lightening but I passed on drilling holes due to time restraints.

    I am on dinner brake and will be posting latter.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.o. View Post
    here we go.........


    So Joe,
    As the wrist pin is almost into the ring grove I have to ask, How big is this engine?

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    It also looks as though the w and the e key stick........

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    We have bugs in our new forum software. "years. years" above was not what I wrote in my article and does not appear when editing is attempted.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Monday morning already

    I worked late trying to salvage the unproductive weekend. The motor did not go together yet, problems with mixing parts from different years. There is not enough room to run the adjustable exhaust lifters. It would appear that 1915 and later cylinders are taller than 1914 and earlier, something to look into latter. The straight dowel pin style lifters of 14 and earlier will be made tomorrow. I think I will but some 7/16" dowel pins and grind them to the desired size in order to get the exhaust lifter pins finished without the delay of heat treating. This allows me to get back to assembly.

    While at it new intake push rods were made along with their lower bucket adjuster. The carburetor was assembled. I lapped the needle valve and seat to assure a better seal. I may make a new bowel nut if time allows, the old one is chewed up a little.

    Today was a push in preparation of motor assembly many little things required attention and got it.

    Exhaust valve springs are problem, I have three different wire sizes and three different lengths. After studying parts books they identify only one style or type of spring from 1911 to the late twenties.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bill N.
    replied
    Joe...
    Once the Cannonball is over, my wife finishes night school, and I'm allowed back out to play....I've got to shoot over to your place and apprentice for a week ! I have little shop experience but recognise great skills when I see it...

    See you in a few weeks @ Kitty Hawk !

    ...This would've made a great video series... Better than the stuff on SPEED and DISCOVERY channel by far!

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    here we go.........









    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Steady Rollin (Bob you out there?)

    Buzz
    I also look forward to ridding along side you and your fine ride Dave and you have prepared for this fantastic upcoming event. I am glad you are enjoying this ride.

    This morning sent me off to Jackson ( I'm going to Jackson,,, Johnny Cash) A good customer behind the 8 ball in a bad way.

    Next was Chelsea and Ann Arbor to investigate a few bicycle shops for lights and a speedometer. A tail light was purchased and one headlight. I may run two or three headlights, variety and preparedness are my reasons for this.

    Once returned to my only current place of comfort, my shop (I have some kind of fever and am jittery, stressed, uncomfortable unless I am in my shop building this Gray Ghost into reality) a pair of spark plug adapters were spun up on the Okuma with secondary work finished on the Monarch lathe. These adapters allow me to walk into your average Harley Davidson Boutique and purchase modern 12 mm spark plugs that fit the bike. I have done this in the past, the heat range is usually not to far off, if anything a little on the hot side. With the primitive carburetor spark plug heat range is not possible to nail throughout the rev range.

    A piston is fitted to the rear rod ready for rings to be installed. Cory may get some photos posted tonight of the piston. Ceramic top and Teflon skirts coat the entire piston other than the ring zone. These are CP pistons and are a bit on the heavy side for what I require. I decided not to put them on a diet due to time restraints.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Buzz Kanter
    replied
    Joe, you leave me speechless. What a truely amazing thing you are doing here. Can't wait to see you and ride with you in 3 weeks. Well done and thanks for sharing with us all.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied












    Leave a comment:

Working...