"Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."
Just as all was going so well, Diamond plating came through as they said they would, my parts were ready by three PM for pick up. It appeared the cylinder were going on tonight which means the motor was also to be installed tonight. Then...
I just finished a fourth angle valve seat cut finishing the valve job. Chris could not get his tooling in to finish the top side of the valve seat so a 15 degree offset tool was made and into the Okuma to make the final cut. It worked perfectly. Left behind was a slight casting flaw that should have been removed a long time ago. This is where I fouled everything up slightly kissing the valve seat with a 2" 90 degree angle hand grinder.
This would not be so bad except Chris is not available tomorrow to re-cut the surface. Tomorrow is a hot rodders paradise just north of Detroit (Royal Oak), the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. Some of the best Hot Rods are brought in from around the word to participate in this event it is big.
Some things should have been attended to prior to when they actually were completed. The valve seat is not the only issue that was improperly handled. I also over looked seating the fuel valve in the bottom of the gas tank. This is something I do on all needle type valves. A steel rod gets machined to a 45 degree point just as the shut of needle. I then lap the valve seat in the same fashion as a cylinder valve seat. This nearly guarantees a good seal when turning off your gas. Less leaks more safety.
Joe
!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
Several more parts taken to the platters this evening to go along with the cylinders dropped off earlier. This does not bring the plating to 100 percent but close enough for now. I can not finish detailing this project until after the Cannonball event is complete,,,time.
Pedals are now mounted, This brings the chassis to near completion until the motor is installed where then, the peripherals will be finish assembled.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
It's lookin' like we're caught up until Joe is finished in the shop tonight!!!





Leave a comment:
-
Jim
I still go to work regularly not every day. This may all looks easy from your perspective, it is not. Every part needs to be fitted or I won't use it. There aren't any sloppy loose fitting parts on this machine it is right and tight. I am putting forth all I have, physical, metal and economical to maintaine my work this build and accompanying article. There hasn't been time for extracurricular activities. Davenport, my goal for completion is nearing soon if all goes well the motor will be in by the end of this weekend and running before next Friday.
I have made a new brush and spring for one of my magnetos and have it running on the bench right now. It will be run in for a few days prior to installation.
The pedal crank starter assembly appears to be working well now, between that and the brake stay two troubling problems have been resolved. Throttle cable and sliders are finished. Clutch linkage is all connected and working well including the friction washers and pivot stud on the hand lever. The clutch throw out bearing is of my own construction, after plating I finish ground the mating surfaces, when it is functioning you can't here it rolling. This will be a sweet machine to ride.
Dinner is over time to get back to work.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Joe
Are you intentionally dragging your feet a little, just to build the suspense.
It is turning into a work of art.
Looking forward to seeing hopefully running at Davenport.
I'm also hoping to be in Hot Springs to see how the run is going.
Jim
Leave a comment:
-
Glad your enjoying this Tom!!! One can really appreciate what it takes to get a project like this done!!! Joe is the MAN!!!





Leave a comment:
-
Tom
Thanks for the positive input, things are changing fast stay tuned.
Dave
Good to see you here still. The pistons will be introduced to the project this weekend they are CP from the people that bring us Carillo connecting rods.
The cylinders are going to the platting shop today and should be back tomorrow in time for the weekend assembly.
I am on a lunch brake now and will be back to work on magnetos right away. New carbon brushes are in process and new brush springs are already formed from an earlier trip today to McGuire spring shop in Brighton Mi.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Running out of steam
After my work responsibilities the day was mostly shot. I did install the front brake cable custom made by Barnett's the clutch guys. The people at Barnett's are responsive and talented, you need to look no farther if you have clutch issues or cable requirements.
The rear brake stay is finally fixed to the frame, alignment is good and affective. Although not even close to correct the finished product will do the job until an original unit falls out of the sky.
A make shift head light rubber mount was fabricated from a steel reinforced hydraulic hose mounted to the fork in place of the stock head light mount. It was quick and not to difficult to produce. This will emulate a 7/8' bicycle handle bar. I will use two bicycle head lights (hi and low beam).
Photo loading has not been helped by the new system. It appears to be hindered by our computer geek squad. Come on guys and gals you can do better.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Well folks with Joe's patience we may just be able to catch up.... here's a few more... and there's more to come.. when I get all the the pics sorted out (hopefully tonight sometime....) I'll get them in some sort of proper order...


Leave a comment:
-
Well Cory's machine handled part of them..... I'll catch up as soon as Joe boomerangs 'em back again!!!





Leave a comment:
-
Closing in
Way to much to give a detailed report on tonight, there are several photos to follow if Cory's machine can handle them.
Over the weekend I bored the original pinion bushing to + .010 for the over size pinion shaft that I made.
A spacer washer was made for the sprocket shaft this was drilled for light weight. I hesitate to call it a thrust washer because it spins with the flywheel and the inner bearing race as an assembly
New style screws to replace the original primary cover screws were made. The case was taped 5/16X18 where the original 1/4X24 thread was striped.
Balance data was developed off Chris's spin balance machine. I then calculated the volume of material to be removed and captured all the chips to verify my math. I was right on the money. The data had to be converted from pounds to ounces to grams and then cubic inches before I could take a cut.
The flywheels were assembled and installed in the case to check end clearance.
Flywheels trimmed for clearance and then assembled with the rods, big end bearing clearance .0016".Once assembled they were installed into my home made truing stand. I built this device about 32 years ago when I was a kid. The flywheel set came off the truing stand within .0005 T.I.R. They went in almost exactly the same and did not want to move.
A break from the motor led me to the twist grips where new sleeves were made to cover the mechanics.
Once the flywheels were installed in the case with almost all N.O.S. case studs and nuts fitted it was time to focus on the gear chest.
Machining, fabricating, gluing, and screwing turned a bad gear chest into a good one.
The gear chest and its gears were installed with little interference issues slowing things down.
Next attention to the magnetos. I have two freshly restored magnetos. One works the other needs work. Both have issues. Test runs showed a health spark from the working magneto so they do have potential.
Valves came in today.
Several hours wasted again on the pedal crank assembly. A conversation with Steve H. informed my suspicions, missing friction devises, spring things, Steve will ship a donor part for me to copy.
That sums up the upcoming photos that will take into tomorrows to send due to size restraints. Sorry for a little redundancy with the previous report and tonights.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Dave
Thank you for the positive input and riding along on this build . My intentions are to have the bike running and at Davenport, if all goes well that is.
Joe
Leave a comment:




Leave a comment: