!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slojo
    replied
    Rods

    Those pesky OIsens Carl and Matt along with kid Ryan have nothing in the way of safety over my operation. Meet my best friend Tailer (following photos)

    Rods are nearing completion. Yes the Mirror Y axis button work fine. To cut out the center of the female rod I was given an Idea from another competent machinist. He offered I should put the rod in the lathe! How did I miss that concept? It worked excellent. Remove one of the six jaws and align the rod beam in place of the missing jaw, check to make sure it will swing and clear everything in the path of rotation.

    Its way late, more tomorrow.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 08-04-2010, 11:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • gary.h
    replied
    hi joe,could you cnc me up a new keyboard these recent pics made me over salivatate and shorted out mine..... looking quite phenominal joe hats off to ya..

    Leave a comment:


  • Tommo
    replied
    Joe
    How does the 1914 one differ ?
    I've got one that measures 5mm wide above the slot and 10mm from the bottom of the slot to the pinching screw hole. If thats any good to you, you're welcome to it.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Home from work and voila photobucket works!!!















    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Sorry folks!!! Photobucket is down for maintenance. I'll check after work and if it's up and running I'll get them posted!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Difficult day

    Linkages, clutch, brakes and pedal operations consumed the whole day. Making these functions work properly is more difficult than you would think. Connecting rods must not bind or climb in either direction of operation, clutch rod and linkages must not rub everywhere as these did. Smooth, free operation is crucial for a bike to operate as I desire.

    The pedal device was a nightmare and tomorrow the nightmare will continue. I believe the deficiency are about resolved. Several problems resulted in an overall rework of all devises incorporated in this mechanism. One important note, I learned today (the hard way) is the eccentric devise that locks to the frame carrying the two sprockets is different for fourteen's. The eccentric has less offset and will not mix well with others, the pedal bearing eccentric especially. This devise will not work at all if the parts are a mixture of 1913 1914 items.

    Johhny Z finished the stripping today. Like a fine bottle of wine the more time he worked on this project the better he became. I look forward to working with him again.

    A call from the valve manufacture came in today, it would appear there is a misunderstanding with my order. Hopefully all is resolved now and they will get the order correct.

    Does anyone have a rear brake stay that clamps to the frame locking the brake plate and arm to the frame? This is a fourteen only part and I am running out of time to make one. I have what I think is a N.O.S. 15 item. This 15 part locates the arm lower, farther from the frame causing the brake rods to extend more than they should.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Hybred,,, is this a correct description of my cannonballer machine?

    Lonnie
    Thank you for ridding along throughout this build and also for the kind words. I try to do my best with what I have to work with. Parts and time are a major factor in the overall package. With the last month in full swing it is time to rush a few things along in order to meet the deadline.

    After half the day was wasted doing things other than what I want to do it was back to the female connecting rod.

    I picked up another piece of Quadco XR steel to whittle the female rod from. The material cost was another sixty dollars, man do they add up quick. Into the Okuma and off with everything that does not look like a connecting rod. After approximately three hours of actual cutting time side one is basically finished and ready to flip over. This is where I made my mistake last time omitting inverting the Y axis operative signs, in other words positive negative sign exchange of the Cartesian coordinate system in Y axis only.

    Only one photo tonight as I left the camera in the cabin after having late evening dinner and heading back out too the shop. Other than the connecting rod work the brake linkage and clutch linkage are being fitted since the floor board, brake and clutch pedals have been installed already.

    The oil dripper sight window I believe is one of the many N.O.S. parts used through out this project. It was a tight fit with the exhaust cut out rod retaining strap bend being just a little off. With a little persuasion all fit together well. Due to time restraints this bike was not completely fitted together as a whole assembly therefore a few problems do exist, fortunately they have all been minor and worked out without to much fuss.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lonnie
    replied
    That is truly beautiful, as I knew it would be, having seen your panhead. And, keeping up with this is the best thing going on the internet.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied


    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Sunday, the day of rest

    Several friends stopped by today slowing my productivity. It was nice having guests so I could exercise my speaking skills with someone other than myself.

    Mounting the rear luggage rack finishes off the back end of the bike's appearance.
    Installation of the exhaust cutout rod retaining strap was a breeze, completing that assembly.

    The remainder of the day involved fitting the countershaft "transmission" assembly making spacers and shims for proper running clearances for the new bearings. Once I get the sprocket ratio solutions calculated and a base stock set up I will make a decision on final gear ratio, install the two sprockets and finish off the pedal assembly.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Lookin' Gooood!!!











    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Roller

    Rob
    The light is still far off but in sight. It is not August yet I still have a half hour please don't rush it.

    The front fork was today's project. First, fit the steering head cups they were .005" oversize which was cool because it allowed me to fit them perfectly to my frame. The usual problems with the steering stem threads and nickel plated parts consumed about three hours. Finally I put a reproduction steering head bearing cone in the mill and used a carbide end mill to cut through it. This allowed me to run the nut up the threads of the stem and with a little lapping compound clean up defects in the stem, a useful tool now.

    Fork assembly followed thread repair, the fork and fender installed easily. The fork rockers were a little difficult, stretching the fender struts out of the way by yourself was challenging. The front wheel was straight forward except a slight interference with a rocker stud lock washer rubbing on my aluminum brake anchor. This was easily resolved with a 1/8 inch carbide bur and die grinder. A slight chamfer on an edge took care of the interference.

    Afterwards installation of the handle bars and tidy up a couple things was all that I could manage for the night.

    Much like the rear wheel the front wheel alignment looks perfect.

    Eight minutes until August.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-31-2010, 09:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    august

    hello joe looks like you can see the the light at the end of the tunnel
    Last edited by rwm; 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Here we are folks!! It's coming alive........















    Leave a comment:

Working...