!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c.o.
    replied
    errr..... it looks like I got pics up before the post!!! Whoa that's a first!!!





    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Originally posted by rwm View Post
    nail polish works real good on the threads before plating.after plating just wipe it off with thinner
    http://www.alliedplating.com/store.asp?pid=18390
    That's a great idea Rob!!! I just had a vision though of Joe sauntering up to the counter of the local drugstore with an armload of fingernail polish and the reaction on the gals face who had to take his money........

    Leave a comment:


  • Bill N.
    replied
    Joe...
    This bike is gonna be WAY too nice for the Cannonball. How are you gonna keep it clean ?
    Kidding aside, I can't wait to see and hear your ride... Following your posts taught me a lot. (since I'm no machinist... that means EVERYTHING was a learning post!)

    Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Rob
    Thanks for the information I will try it next batch of parts sent out for plating.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    nail polish works real good on the threads before plating.after plating just wipe it off with thinner

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
    Now if it was me at this stage of such a project ( dream about it!) it would be exactly the time I came to realize I had forgotten to add a certain bracket or some other f**k up!
    Man, that bike is going to be something!!
    Exactly!!!

    Joe it's got to be frustrating when you spend so much time getting things perfect and a sub-contractor comes along and has you nearly start over again!!! You're getting there though man!!!





    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Sub Assemblies

    Barry
    Look at the frame/luggage rack tabs, not forgotten.


    A fresh load of parts came back from the platters today, they are sharp. I paid extra to have the threads masked off so the plating wouldn't alter thread pitch diameters prohibiting parts from fitting together. It did not work, the plating seeped past the masking and attached to the first thread of each part causing items to no longer fit together.

    My oversized intake manifold nuts would not fit together at all. After a couple hours working the mating parts with fine lapping compound they finally gave in and operate together perfectly. At a cost of valuable time and new, fresh finish on the hex surfaces.

    The sprocket shafts and pinion shafts are off the Okuma and ready to go to heat treat along with the fork bearing cones.

    The intake manifold and the front wheel are now complete sub assemblies. The Schebler carb, seat, rear wheel and floor boards are in progress as are other sub assemblies.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    Now if it was me at this stage of such a project ( dream about it!) it would be exactly the time I came to realize I had forgotten to add a certain bracket or some other f**k up!
    Man, that bike is going to be something!!

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied




    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Long day, can't wait for tomorrow

    Charge card came back in the mail today, Problem solved. I wish all my issues were solved that easy.

    All day today was spent on the road at two customers (replaced a spindle in one machine and reset some parameters in the other), the paint shop, the bearing store, the painter's house, finally, back home in the barn to finish making the pre H.T. turned and woodruff key slotted sprocket shafts. The new steel is difficult to machine. This Quadco XR steel should be that same material and pre-heat treat condition, something is different. Once back from heat treat it will make no difference to the grinding wheel.

    For tomorrow, make a few pinion shafts, a drop off at the heat treat shop, pick up at the platters and a spindle on the bench to be rebuilt. If there is enough time I will attempt to finish the taper in the second flywheel's crank pin taper hole.

    The pin striper finished the frame and fork today, next he will strip the fenders and tanks after the painter finishes painting them. I was told maybe Friday on the fenders and oil tank/tool-box. The gas tank is still bare steel, all else is near complete or completed.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-21-2010, 06:41 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Originally posted by Slojo View Post

    Ops Cory how did you get the Lilacs ?
    Joe
    Don't know they just appeared........... Pretty though ain't they???

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Blood red

    More chasing my tail today. I did get a new 6 degree cutter for the flywheels. This time it is a straight flute end mill (not spiral or helix) and it worked. The crank pin then was reground to finish tapers length. Otherwise most of today was spent taking care of customers needs and dealing with one lying cop.

    The pin striper came and went today this time he left some stripes behind. He will return tomorrow to finish the frame and fork. I think he is bleeding himself to get the rich red striping fluid and he can't purge to much precious bodily fluids per day.

    Ops Cory how did you get the Lilacs ?
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    I'm a little slow here lately but here's the last batch.....















    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    In my panic to arrive at the Wauseon meet ASAP I inadvertently left my charge card at the gas station just north of the event. This privately operated Marathon station does not have pumps with the charge card slot so you must give the attendant at the cash register your card for them to turn the pump on. I then filled up my 48 EL and drove off.

    Today three days later I realized the card was missing. First I had to trace back to where it was last used, ah the gas station in Wauseon. A search on the computer found the following information. A phone call to the store found these fine people to be helpful saying they will mail the card to me right away. This store and it's employes are motorcyclist friendly. Remember them next year they are about a mile or two north of the fair grounds right on 108.
    Joe

    Steve's Carry Out in Wauseon, Ohio (OH)
    Name: Steve's Carry Out
    Street: 10085 Oh-108
    Postal address: 43567- 9525 Wauseon, OH
    Phone: (419) 335-2309

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Hey!!! I did salvage these ones.....



    Leave a comment:

Working...