!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c.o.
    replied
    Got any pictures in heap big smoke? All that was previously signalled is lost!!! Cleared a spot in the mailbox should be good to go.........

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Originally posted by rwm View Post
    cory helping joe with his new highspeed
    Its Cory's turn to tune in his receiver.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Outsourcing problems

    The flywheel project turns out to be more difficult than planed. Problem is, the cutter grinder did not get close with either cutter and they both appear to have been run on separate set ups as they are not a matched set. Once the primary cuts were completed on the flywheel I checked the crank pin fit and found it to be lacking. Moving over to the surface plate for a close inspection of the tapered e-mill several discrepancy turned up with these cutters.

    In need of forward progress I turned to the front fork (no pun intended). My lower bearing race for the fork stem was found to be unacceptable. Wouldn't you know it I found a brand new one in the Okuma actually three of them. They just need to go out for heat threat, I will send them out when the main shafts are finished as they are the same material and will get the same case hardening process.

    Cory is having some difficulties with his new computer. Perhaps if all goes well he can post some photos for us tonight. Surfacing grinding the flyweels flat and parallel, I.D. grinding the tapers in the center of the flywheels, inspection on the surface plate with all kinds of tools incorporated in the setup and finally everybody's hero for a Waueson weekend Carl Estes with his earned checkered flag while sitting on his all new highly modified champion J model Board Track Racer.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Post Wauseon

    Pin striping resumed today, after the frame was about 20% finished and looking good the striper washed all the striping off. He said he would return tomorrow with a different brush (spear I think).

    Instead of fixing the problem with one Okuma (vertical machining center) I took parts from another older turning center (my guinea pig) to get the machining center up and running the quick way. Once back on line I finished leveling the base and squared the head as best as possible for now.

    Back to the flywheels, a call placed to Paul Osborn of Truette and Osborn the flywheel guy for a brief conversation. A quick question answered (with basically "I don't know") and casual conversation left me with the knowledge that Paul made flywheels for many of the cannonball bikes, not mine I chose to keep this process in house.

    Since the machining center was about ready to run little effort was required prior to cutting the first taper in the center of both flywheels. After a close inspection and over to the surface plate for accurate measurements I determined that the end mill was not ground properly causing the big end of the taper to bell mouth out a few thousandths. More trouble,,, .

    With a call placed to my good friend Leo I gathered the flywheels and shafts hopped in the Lincoln and ran over to Leo's. Leo is one of the best toolmakers I know. After he sold his shop and retired he found sitting still was not his forte. So he started a back yard tool makers dream with all the trickest tooling and some great machines.

    We set up his Parker Magestic I.D. O.D. grinder by swiveling the head around to I.D. and mounting the 10" magnetic chuck on the work head. Inspected the set up mounted the flywheel on the face of the magnetic chuck indicated it to perfection set the 5 inch sine attachment to 6 degrees (.522 gauge block build up) and lightly dusted the taper in both flywheels to clean up.

    Next is to machine the tapers in the crank pin location. I will inspect the taper of the end mill in a whirly jig mounted on a sine plate. If ok I may re-use the end mill, back it out of the hole .2" where the flutes appear to be within tolerance and go for it.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-18-2010, 05:31 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Wauseon

    Wauseon been there done that had a good time and returned already. The 48 p p p pan ran fine. Unfortunately I came up short an original tank emblem on the left side, damn. Must have become road kill on the side of the road somewhere by now.

    The races were good Carl won the board track class on his all newly built JD. One racer on a speedway bike held his throttle pined around the entire track, he was fast. I was told many or perhaps most of the Cannonballers are in similar condition as am I . The mad scramble to finish up bikes is in progress.

    Before riding off this morning I set the Okuma Machining center on proper leveling pads and of course leveled the machine. When powering up the machine the Z axis drive amplifier blew out, live by the broken Okuma die by the broken Okuma. Tomorrow I will try to repair the drive then finish level the base of the machine and square the Z axis column prior to finishing the flywheel project.

    The striper should be in tomorrow to finish the pin striping on the frame and fork.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied














    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    I need a clone.

    Thank you Matt. (I sent your package out today.)

    The striper came by this morning and reluctantly used the striping wheel to lay blood on the rims. I (crudly)modified the brush holder to become a wheel holder and we then striped the wheels almost without fail. Afterwards back on the road to remove a spindle out of an Okuma lathe and rebuild the bearing set. Once the assembly was on the bench I ran out the door to the cutter grinder shop and Production Tool to pick up more cutting tools.

    Next Rams shop to mount the tires and balance for high speed. Greg has a fantastic tire mounting machine and does an A1 job thanks Greg. These Pirelli's are both 21" although, two different widths and profiles. The larger tire on the wider rear rim for a better ride.

    After replacing tires over the years on old bikes with modern reproduction tires and having to deal with excessive run-out and balance issues it was a pleasure to install these modern tires and (thick) tubes to find that they actually run true and require little lead wrap balance weight on the spokes. I think I made a good decision in tire selection. Chalk one up for Pirelli tires and tubes.

    The flywheel was fixtured in the Okuma Machining Center yesterday. Tonight I squared (by rotating the wheel in the setup) the counter weight parallel to the X axis. This will place the finish crank pin hole perpendicular to the center of the weight for balance timing prior to actually balancing the assembly. A dial indicator and a simple parallel placed against two corners of the flywheel counterbalance weight held in place by a magnet was all it took to gauge and adjust the alignment.

    Outside buisness is picking up while I am trying to spend all my time on the bike, it is a difficult schedule to keep up. Can't participate in this event without cash flow.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Matthew N. Olse
    replied
    GO JOE GO!!!!!! We are going to have so much fun in september. Keep up your blazing pace it is very inspiring!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Thank you

    After a long difficult day on the job I thought of retiring early tonight. I came home at about 6:30 turned the computer on made some dinner and read what you have posted. Dinner finished, I am now fired up by the great people who are out there reading my travels through this build.

    Time to get on the road again, I hear those flywheels calling.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • chas
    replied
    Pay the little man no mind

    Slojo "A friend informed me today, false word is out that I have been boasting I am going to win this Cannonball event. First thing, I have maintained throughout this project that the Cannonball as I know it is a test of endurance not a race. I have never made any such claim otherwise. I have stated that I would like to be able to build this bike to keep up with the superior 1915 three speed models. Perhaps I am reaching a bit far but we all should have something to aspire to. I hope this will clear up any confusion for those who are misinformed on this matter. Joe"

    There is an 'ability' line above which people become jealous. Anyone who has read early Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s story about "Harrison Bergeron" and the "U.S. Handicapper General" knows exactly to what I refer. The 'target' of jealousy has to occasionally 'beat back the rumors'. And pay them no mind as he moves onward - and upward. Joe is no braggart in fact he will share what he knows (why he is doing this thread) and he is competitive as all heck. My SWAG is someone with lesser abilities started the rumor based on Joe's competitive nature either with or without intent to damage Joe.

    The point of the exercise (as I see it) was to make a 1914 competitive to the legendary 1915 model. Joe, by careful examination of the parts has uncovered more than a few reasons why the Ghost, in stock form, was not as competitive. He has done was a great tuner does, find the hidden errors and improve on them.

    Leave a comment:


  • LouieMCman
    replied
    Am I hearing Desmodromic Harley? Wow a modern Harley? What will all the purist think with out a 110", 400 degree, vibrating heater between there legs? Maybe you could make it so the front cylinder cuts off when it gets too hot?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    Watching Joe's abilities and craftsmanship and dedication unfold here has made me curious about how he got to this level. Who was/were his mentor/s? He has mentioned his father briefly. Apprenticeship? US Educational system? Self taught? For those of you who have read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell it would appear that Joe has put in his 10,000 hours. Great read by the way , highly recommended.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lonnie
    replied
    I am immensely enjoying seeing your daily progress and reading this forum. I check on your progress every day and amazed at the work you are putting into this - in reality building a new improved version of your H-D.

    There are a couple of blogs I also watch where progress is being made, Matt Olsen's of course but also Shinya Kimura's progress with an Indian.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Interesting.... I'm sure it's ran through most riders heads what it would be like to be the first one to pull up to the final stop. It's sort of too bad that it couldn't be done the old fashioned way and you could do it "Fast Charlie" style. But given in this day in age the safety police have made such endeavors impossible an endurance run it will have to be. I know there will be plenty of support and that everybody is going to have an amazing time but don't tell me that the first one to pull in won't have an ear to ear grin... Sorry to hear you have to make a public announcement on this matter Joe. As one following from the beginning you come off knowledgeable but I don't detect a braggart.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Desmo Gray Fellow

    Picked up more painted parts today, next Friday should produce the fenders and tool box. Chris weldedd a seat part as usual another great job. The woodruff key cutters and a 3/8X24 LH tap for the pinion shaft were available to be picked up so I did. Another Okuma happy to be alive, SDU repaired on the second attempt. Finally my road trips culminated in a stop at Rams for good conversation and opportunity to consume some time while waiting for tools to show at Production Tool.

    While at Rams I studied some Ducati parts on the bench, valve closing collars and half rings. These parts are what Ducati uses to close the valves via. rocker arms without the assistance of valve springs. They are compact require a small groove in the valve stem and may work well for my intake valve train. I struggle with the thought of drilling a hole in my valve stem for the traditional spring retainer so a look into using Desmo parts is upcoming.

    Upon my return home enough time was available to put the two new woodruff key cutters into the Okuma and run off a finished green part in preparation of heat treat. All went well and one part was made. I ran out of material so tomorrow I will need to get more Quadco XR steel to make the pinion shaft and an extra sprocket shaft.

    The machining center was partially set up to cut the tapers in the flywheels. I hope to have the 6 degree tapered end mills tomorrow.

    A friend informed me today, false word is out that I have been boasting I am going to win this Cannonball event. First thing, I have maintained throughout this project that the Cannonball as I know it is a test of endurance not a race. I have never made any such claim otherwise. I have stated that I would like to be able to build this bike to keep up with the superior 1915 three speed models. Perhaps I am reaching a bit far but we all should have something to aspire to. I hope this will clear up any confusion for those who are misinformed on this matter.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...