!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c.o.
    replied


    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Tick tock

    All attempts are made now to do the little things that must be done while waiting for the return of Johnny Z the striper and the rest of the painted parts. Re-fitting plated parts and painted parts back together is time consuming tedious work yet must be done.

    I stopped over at Mark spark's for some grinding work. Mark always has the right tools for what ever my grinding needs are. I am using original HD shafts and rebuilding them back to size. This time we ground the pinion shaft in preparation for hard chrome plating. The hard chrome is a common process used to build up a shaft for regrinding to your desired size.

    The surface finish is important prior to hard chrome When a part is hard chromed it will mimic the micro finish it is applied to. Problem is, if the shaft is not in good condition the chrome will make a bad surface ten times worse.

    Chris Boarder shipped the gas tanks this week and I fitted them to the frame today, they look great. Chris is a real trooper and a talented tin knocker. We had a little difficulty with this fuel tank project but Chris stuck with me through the issues until they were resolved. I would be happy to do business with Chris again. Thank you Chris for a good job and a lot of patience.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Oops..... stripper striper, hey both can be entertaining.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LouieMCman
    replied
    Let me see, you are holding the brush for the striper (stripper?) and turning the wheel for him, and he's doing what?

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Exhausted

    Worked hard all day and have little to report. The paint striper showed today and had difficulties with the start/finish points striping the rim. Several attempts offered inconsistent results. Afterwards I fabricated a spring loaded devise that will hold the brush for him in the factory original HD truing stand. While we turn the rim he will control pressure on the brush.

    The late model HD 21" rim has a high spot at the weld and about six inches from the weld it has a flat low spot where it's clear a piece of foreign debris was in the roll die deforming the rim. This rim runs true up to weld area where it jumps around excessively. What happen to quality control HD?

    It would appear that no matter how hard you work on a project and all your effort to do things right in high quality others involved do not always share your passion or sense of urgency. Fortunately most every body on board with this bike build are cooperating fully. JZ the stripper will be on that list. he is insistent with getting it right.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • chas
    replied
    [quote=Slojo;98278]Charlie
    Your slipping, you can do better than that link. The article you posted for shot peening demonstrates sheet metal forming , not the subject here.

    Shoots your correct Joe, I failed to scan the site properly in my rush to get out and go surfing. I pick it as it was THE spot peening company we used way back. Here is a link to a much more lucid explanation:

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Back to the ole grind

    Not many of the parts that went out for plating fit well together. With the dimensional change from the Nickel build up. Threads, bushings, sleeves, clevises, you get the idea. So, to the Parker grinder for O.D's, Lapping compound for the threaded parts and I. D's. Sacrificial nuts and bolts are used for all the affected threads.

    Over on the Okuma mill the front cylinder was fixtured and machined for the new threaded intake nipple. Once again the original hole was off a mile. The only broken fin on that cylinder was welded last week by Chris (excellent welding again). Tonight it was milled in preparation for hand finishing as the rear cylinder yesterday.

    Strange thing, I started this build during the beginnings of the freeze season and now it's damn hot (90's F.). I find this very unusual as I normally don't carry a build through the seasons. I am amazed as to how much work has gone into this project and still, nothing assembled YET. When finished I will be able to reflect back and think about what I went through to build this bike in today environment as compared to 96 years ago when H.D. first built these magnificent bikes.

    Time to go "wreck my bed".

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Charlie
    Your slipping, you can do better than that link. The article you posted for shot peening demonstrates sheet metal forming , not the subject here.

    I am not a metallurgist I know or read enough to get by with what I do or ask the right questions of those who are knowledgeable on the subject. Happy to have you along for the ride I always enjoy your input. Surf's up Dude.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • chas
    replied
    Joe wrote: This process reduces surface tension, relaxes the material where blasted. In the engineering books a shot-penned valve spring durability is improved by a large factor, right now I can not site the numbers I just know this works.

    Ah something arcane I have knowledge about! "Shotpeening", almost correct Joe (you can't be an expert at everything - your human). Shot peening induces surface compressive residual stresses in metal. Compressive Stress increases the metal's fatigue resistance. I used it on the FLH fender bracket recall waaay back when - in order to offset the effect of chrome plating on the brackets sent to dealers in kits. For those that care here is a link: http://www.metalimprovement.com/shot_peen_forming.php

    Leave a comment:


  • fillibuster
    replied
    Man!! where's your duct tape? woulda worked on an Indian!!

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Man!!!















    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Cylinder sprockets and flywheels where do I start.

    Cylinders, The rear cylinder is now finished with fin repair and realigning the intake port. It was off a mile. Now the intake thread is as a factory fast motor.

    Flywheels went off to be shot-peen today. The shot-peen machine is not unlike a sand blast cabinet, although it is lined with a very thick rubber. The process is so powerful that it will destroy most any non metal or rubber item placed inside. It operates automatically much like a dish washer. Load, close the door, turn the timer on for about one minute and depress the start button. Afterwards remove, flip the part over and repeat. This process reduces surface tension, relaxes the material where blasted. In the engineering books a shot-penned valve spring durability is improved by a large factor, right now I can not site the numbers I just know this works. Next will be to finish machine all machined surfaces.

    Last in alphabetic order, the sprockets of course. They have gone through purchase three times, Blanchard grinding, wire E.D.M. processing, nickel plating, now drilling and chamfering the drive hole for the pedal start mechanism. With this selection of sprockets I will be able to set up to what ever ratio I desire within reason.

    Finally another Three hundred dollar day chasing carbide tools, noise canceling head phones, diamond files, gas, 2, 1 5/8 service (thin) wrenches and two 1/4 " drive ratchets. All this including a trip to the East side of the big (dirty) D. to pick up the sprockets. Some where in between the many stops I managed to find a down Okuma needing my T.L.C. to rejuvenate its S.D.U.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Here's s'more pics that didn't make it up earlier....







    Leave a comment:

Working...