Cory
"My picture posting was but a minor contribution" Cory, without your diligence this article would have failed.
Charley
I can always count on you to come through with words of wisdom, Thank You.
Joe
!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
Joe, congratulations on validating Teddy Roosevelt's words (and meaning) at the Sorbonne as you were ......
'In the Arena'......
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Leave a comment:
-
I'll echo Tom's response...... I know I'm eager to hear the nitty gritty.... patience on this will be the key... as I'm sure there's lots to tell!!! Joe you are a pioneer with the online documented bike build!!!! My picture posting was but a minor contribution and I was happy to do it....
Leave a comment:
-
Cannonball withdrawal. My first folow up posting.
Could some one give me an L.
WOW
Where do I start?
First I would like to thank Lonnie for his "I had a dream" what a spectacular idea.
Next, thanks to John and the entire cannonball crew for helping Lonnie put it all together.
The course was excellent, perfectly laid out in the step by step instructions.
Now to the point, as you all know this past 11 months prior to cannonball I have been immersed in building a bike that I originally thought could be finished in four to six months,,,wrong I was. While calling on everybody I know in the old bike world chasing parts for this project things looked grim until a call was placed to my friend (and author) Herbert Wagner. Herb suggested a request for parts in the Parking Lot Chatter section of the AMCA Forum would be beneficial for locating parts to build this !914 HD twin single speed.
My first thought humm, I have a lousy dud of a computer and haven't ever been on the AMCA forum why should I attempt to do this? None the less Herb was persuasive enough to convince me this was my best option.
The first thread ever on the forum for me, !914 Twin HD Cannon ball request . Early on in the parts request a few people asked for me to update my progress on the build, so I did. It wasn't long before several astute readers caught my error in the title which led to many responses with a ! in place of a 1, good clean fun. I then tried to produce error free posts there after. Not possible for me, sorry. Many nights well past the bewitching hour I would find myself hammering away at the key board (instead of the bike) and re-reading my article several times with weary eyes,often two or three hours were spent documenting my progress and sending photos to be posted by Cory my new found friend and partner in crime.
The parts started to roll in by way of my telephone dealings, not so much from the article unfortunately. Early on one of the individuals that I was sent to did not follow through with a deal perhaps a slight error or lack in communication. He then sold the parts (as it turned out the all important cylinders) to another individual and when we next spoke on the telephone he insulted me and said I was the laughing stock of the AMCA for writing this article.
In a subsequent conversation with Carl Olsen, Carl assured me otherwise and convinced me to continue writing my journey through this process. I also posted a comment that I was considering termination of this article much to the dismay of some of the responding readers.
Since my father did not raise a quitter and enough positive input from several interested parties came in, the article continued.
After carefull consideration I can think of no other way to follow up this monumental event so I will post a follow up on this conversation as the days continue thank you for your patience as it is not possible to summarize this journey in one sitting.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 10-03-2010, 07:33 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Good to hear you are home safe and sound Joe!!! I guess we can wait until you've gathered your thoughts for that report......
I'm sure that although as thrilling as that Cannonball likely was it was also probably equally exhausting!!!
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks Joe, I knew you wouldn't leave us all hanging. Please include all the technical details on the magnetos, when I talked to you in Hot Springs I forgot to ask you where #3 came from, I assume it made it to the coast without further problems. Looking forward to the report.Originally posted by Slojo View PostGive me a few moments to gather my thoughts and I will write a summarization of the event.
joe
mike
Leave a comment:
-
Back in black.Originally posted by c.o. View PostGreat to hear!!! He seems for the most part to be keeping out of the limelight. Thanks for posting Jim!!
I was not dodging the limelight, just staying ahead of it. Give me a few moments to gather my thoughts and I will write a summarization of the event.
joe
Leave a comment:
-
here I am fixing a flat on joe's support vehicle on day one shortly after leaving kitty hawkAttached Files
Leave a comment:
-
Great to hear!!! He seems for the most part to be keeping out of the limelight. Thanks for posting Jim!!
Leave a comment:
-
Joe is well
I ate lunch with Joe between Hot Springs and Fort Smith. He said the Ghost was running like a Swiss watch.
Talked to him a little more at Fort Smith and everything was still working well.
Jim
Leave a comment:
-
Matt, I have to assume someone else is typing for you, right? (Deb, is that you?) These folks all need a full report (you know how we are), can I help you deliver it? I'd be happy to. .. and I know the Sears isn't in the deal...Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Postmark rebuilt the magnetos for my sears. the first one lasted an hour and a half. the second one was working pretty well up until the crash.
Leave a comment:
-
Matt,Originally posted by Matthew N. Olse View Post...until the crash.
Unless you don't want to, can you clue us in between the difference of hitting a pothole (if that's what happened) on the '14 Sears as opposed to hitting a pothole on a springforked Knucklehead running 4:00x18s?
Glad you're okay.
Leave a comment:
-
Matt, glad to hear you are up and at 'em! Sorry to hear about the arm and the bike.
Leave a comment:
-
Hey Matt,
I hear there flim of you going down. We want to see it, and you need to tell your story. Heal fast and see you in Sana Monica.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: