Glad to hear you are OK Matt, I have survived some "road rash" myself.
The bit about the magnetos raises the question about how well most old bikes , especially very old bikes have been restored ( or tastefully modified for the Cannonball) with regards to their mechanical aspects . The Cannonball may be a wake up call for a lot of us, myself included to try to attain a higher standard. I believe the British magneto company BTH who were known for their superb quality products would test magnetos fully submersed in water at speed for hours ! With all of Slojo's preparation in search of the weak link maybe the once infallible 100 year old Bosch mags need the same level of scrutiny.
!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
Guest replied
-
Hey Matt! Welcome home! I know where you'd rather be, but Mother's soup and sandwiches will be good for you! Eat it up for a few days! til she gets "on to you".
By the way, if that Sears is "totalled", will you take scrap price for it? I'm working just east of Huron, I could come up and get it tomorrow. And I could tell you some good ones about your Dad while he's away!
get well soon!
Leave a comment:
-
mark rebuilt the magnetos for my sears. the first one lasted an hour and a half. the second one was working pretty well up until the crash.
Leave a comment:
-
And I am the guy that traded him the magneto. Boy am I going the hear about it. It worked excellent for three days, 72 hr with out missing on the test bench. And all the test miles and 5 days on the Cannon ball. New rebuild from Mark's Magneto's first one with problems and he's done a doz. for me.Last edited by marsh1915hd; 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
On the other thread Bill Wood reported that Joe's lost miles was due to the Gray Ghost suffering magneto failure.Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Jim, Joe's bike is a single speed, it probably need a "lift" to the top of the mountain. I'll see all the guys maybe tomorrow, Friday for sure, if we don't have an answer by then I'll post it.
Mike
Leave a comment:
-
Had a chance to see Joe's bike at Davenport and it's a marvel. Joe, hope you enjoyed the Manitoba Goldeye. I wish I were you this month.
Leave a comment:
-
This is so cool, gosh I wish I was there to see it all, hear it all. Come on guy's, give us an awesome dvd of the whole event. Cause that's as close as some of us can git, dang it. Truely wish all the best of luck!
Leave a comment:
-
Kitty Hawk
Got to Kitty Hawk after lunch today. Talked to Joe & a few others then heard the Grey Ghost run. It sure sounds sweet. A lot of wrenching going on in the parking lot. Looks like it might be day 15 instead of the eve of the start. Sorry Joe but I have to pull for the other brand(Jim Petty on a 15 Indian!!!)
Leave a comment:
-
September 9, 1904
On this date 106 years ago the Harley-Davidson motorcycle first appeared in the historical record. That was at a race on Sept. 9, 1904, in Milwaukee, Wis.
I'd say that's a pretty good send-off for the Cannonball Riders tomorrow.
Leave a comment:
-
Good luck Joe, You've put in countless hours and taught us a lot. I hope your preparation pays off! Have a safe trip!
Leave a comment:
-
A Real Beauty!
Good luck to Joe and the Gray Ghost! I'll bet that Bill Harley, the Davidson brothers, and the rest of the gang are watching from above and grinning from ear to ear.
That revised '14 twin is pure genius and no mistake. Best of all it's a safe and practical road machine. May the immortal spirit of Harley-Davidson ride with you!
This build proves the old motorcycle axiom that nothing is finished until the last moment or day of the contest or event.
Those are mighty fine looking tall riding boots. Almost like Herter's snake bite boots but not quite. Trust the rest of your riding outfit is just as cool.
Good luck to everyone else embarking on this great epic adventure! May the sun shine and the road smooth and pothole free. Ride safe and watch out for deer!
Leave a comment:
-
Cannonball Report #1
My pit crew and I are in Kitty Hawk, we arrived yesterday afternoon. Bikes are showing up and most of them are 1915 twin three speed Harleys. The weather is perfect and the hotel is first class.
Michael L. from Easy Rider is photographing all the bikes for publication prior to the run. I will try to get some photos posted prior to the run.
The best looking bike here, the Pebble Beach California award winning Steve Huntzinger with his brand X 14 twin.
It is difficult striking up conversation pertaining to my bike, most everybody has been reading this article,,,(humbling) and know the bike inside and out already.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Lonnie
I got to hear the bike run, and get a good look at it. he should have no trouble making the trip
good to see you at D'Port
P.S. Joe you are catching the kid!!!
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: