!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slojo
    replied
    Originally posted by c.o. View Post
    I'm thinkin' 70 mph could feel like 100 on that time machine!!! That's really hauling the mail!!!! Endurance run... race... I guess it might be hard to get a group of riders together with a start and a finish and not have it feel like a race....
    Very true about the race conditions Cory. The Ghost handles so well that other than the valve float 70 is a happy speed .

    joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    I'm thinkin' 70 mph could feel like 100 on that time machine!!! That's really hauling the mail!!!! Endurance run... race... I guess it might be hard to get a group of riders together with a start and a finish and not have it feel like a race....

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    [QUOTE=10E;121642] I can see you doing you doing a wheelie as you summit the pass whilst I'll be sitting side saddle waiting to make the top.


    Thanks for the laughter Victor. I will get to the numbers tomorrow.

    Jim Wall, Fast Jim! It is my intention to run one set of gears across the country for 2012. I changed gears while running the east coast mountain range for 2010 Cannonball (used up a primary chain in a hurry) but in the west I stayed with the highway gearing. It appears the Ghost makes a generous amount of torque, as it pulled the Sitgreavess Pass without a complaint. Climbing Sitgreavess Pass is when I first truly realized the Ghost was something very special.

    Gearing the Ghost higher for the flat land would put the full clutch engagement speed closer to 40 MPH. Leaving the gear ratio as it is will limit speed to 70 MPH. Valve springs and the cam follower stud for 1914 are week and would need to be upgraded for increased RPM. Intake valve float is the limiter and their isn't enough room under the expanded fuel tanks to increase the valve spring size and strength. I must remember this is not a race it is an endurance run!

    joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 06-09-2012, 06:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 10E
    replied
    forgot
    I think you have smaller dia. tires...More rpm to go 70mph

    Leave a comment:


  • 10E
    replied
    mountain climbing

    hello
    Joe, assuming you still have 4.07 ration I calculate your rpm at 70mph at 3409rpm
    that's turning.
    Looking at the HD factory 1914 v 1915 Dyno tests you are way beyond their performances.
    My experience is that elevation plays a smaller role in climbing mountain passes and that grade steepness and tight turns is more the killer of single speed machines.
    Going east over Carson Pass (8,600ft) was a breeze, long straight grade all the way to the summit, coming west from Minden Nevada was a challenge, short and steep.
    My mainly stock 14 I think will make the Rockies if the engine is in good shape when we get there.
    I can see you doing you doing a wheelie as you summit the pass whilst I'll be sitting side saddle waiting to make the top.
    I did have Mr Cooley make me a 13t, just in case.
    Oh, my engine does 2435rpm at 50mph and it's pretty much tapped out, does like going above that speed.
    all the best
    victor

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Did somebody say class? I'll have to try and get a seat up front for this lesson!

    Leave a comment:


  • fillibuster
    replied
    Joe, measure the diameter of the rear wheel,
    count the teeth on the rear sprocket,
    count the teeth on the drive sprocket,
    count the teeth on the driven sprocket,
    count the teeth on the motor sprocket,

    report back and we'll do it in class tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • J Wall
    replied
    Joe,
    Could you swap gearing for high altitude segment of the trip?? Seems like reliability is king.
    Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
    Joe, I've always wanted to ask, have you done the math to see what your rpm's will be over the mph range? ... or what it is at 60, for instance. Being single speed, only one formula would be applied.
    Sounds like a daunting task, lugging up the hills, especially. How 'bout 50 extra clutch discs so you can ride the clutch? (okay, I'm outa here)
    No math yet Phil but I will look into it. I would like to gear it higher if it weren't for the mountain climbs. The current gear ratio has me slipping the clutch to a speed of 30 MPH. The Ghost runs nothing but Barnett clutch friction plates, they are the best!

    joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Deep Breathing

    As previously mentioned, with the bar raised in performance standards and mountain power robbing elevations for 2012 Cannonball the Ghost must be in a higher state of tune. Tonights task, clean up some of the sharp edges in the air flow passages, mostly intake. While working on the carb I notice a broken solder joint holding the throttle plate to the shaft, a maintenance issue. After finishing the die grinder duties (a couple table spoons full of chips) it was time to called it quits for the night.

    I have to get up early tomorrow morning to meet with a painter at six AM an hour away from here to oversee installation of tank decals on a set of fuel takes, the other project.

    joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    joe go with forced air. this is for sale by fellow cannon baller chris knoop. small 7x7x5 good up to 1200cc top rating 36hp!

    Leave a comment:


  • fillibuster
    replied
    Joe, I've always wanted to ask, have you done the math to see what your rpm's will be over the mph range? ... or what it is at 60, for instance. Being single speed, only one formula would be applied.
    Sounds like a daunting task, lugging up the hills, especially. How 'bout 50 extra clutch discs so you can ride the clutch? (okay, I'm outa here)

    Leave a comment:


  • chas
    replied
    Whoa, same class as KJ's 80", JD's 74", Indian's and JDH two cams?

    Whoa, single speed vs. 3's too??

    Whoa, go, sic 'em Joe. Get 'em. Please keep us informed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Decisions / Strategy

    Tonight the pistons were removed from the rods and will be replaced with a new set. Next was to split the flywheels to inspect tolerances. They were difficult to split, the tapers are perfect matches. The rods, wheels, crank pin, rollers and races all look good. A new set of rod rollers a couple tenths ( +.0002" ) larger will be installed to tighten clearance. The cylinders will be honed out to a fresh crosshatch and no more. I am still looking for the proper piston to cylinder clearance, .0085 is my new target. The original manufacture suggested clearance was .003 ".

    Climbing 10,000 feet above sea level has me thinking of a trip 30 years ago that had me forced into first gear on a loaded 66 shovel tackling the very same mountains. I will be looking close at the intake system (and exhaust) to find areas to make even the smallest air flow improvements. These old motors have tight port and manifold configurations with little room for improvement, I will do my best.

    My goal this year it to build this single speed 66" twin with performance characteristics (under normal conditions) to maintain pace with the late models. Currently by way of rule change the Ghost has been advanced to class three status. This class change aligns my bike with the KJ's 80", JD's 74" and of course the stokers, JDH two cam'rs, Indians and other developed machines. I will have my hands full with these big motored three speeders.

    The challenge is to take a good bike and make it better. The week point will be the intake valve springs, their is currently no room in the rocker towers and under the tank clearance's for larger springs so I may look into alternative methods to help return the valve train to a closed position.

    The plan is to run the entire event with one gear ratio with enough gear to climb the mountains and enough rpm to achieve speeds of 60 or 65 maximum 70 MPH currently brings on intake valve float.

    joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
    Right on Joe, looking forward to the updates. Is the 12 HD 49 cu inches? a V twin? very cool.
    Yes Tom a little twin, looking at the cylinders you can see the difference.

    joe

    Leave a comment:

Working...