Thank you for your positive comment Gary.
The Eyes show was better than ever. About 50 motorcycles and scooters showed including Ron Finch's newest creation, a must see. The Automobile field was packed with the best of everything. This year they introduced farm tractors in the show and they did not disappoint either.
The focus on the show is style The Ghost did not hold a candle to the pre 40 Indian four with those a-hem beautiful fenders and paint.
The weather was perfect food good variety of vehicles hard to believe. You out of town'ers should really give this event a try next year you won't be disappointed. Fathers day weekend always.
Joe
!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
looking awsome joe! its nice to see this thread on the screen again,to follow the ghost through its rejuvination it does hold a special place.
have a good weekend joe.
Leave a comment:
-
Eyes
This weakened is the Eyes on Design benefit for the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate. The Ghost is to be one of many motorcycles and cars featured in this event in order to raise funds for a good cause, vision.
This show brings out the best vehicals from many local collections. One can imagine the Metro Detroit area has cars and fine cars these collectors have. Every year the show changes its appearance with different vehicles so you never knows what to expect. Even Jay has sent a few cars from his garage over the years so they do bring some in from out of town also.
Motorcycles at the "Eyes" are a secondary display with about 25 allowed. Many of the vehicles are of concourse restoration so the Ghost received extra attention this week, cleaning, polishing and waxing. In order to keep the bike clean I will trailer to the event. Photos to follow.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
"Living in the past"
"The Ghost has caused for a Ducati like grin at least once during Cannonball that will be discussed in a future update, soon I hope".
Cannonball continued.
Leaving Flagstaff in the early AM, if my memory is right the temperature was somewhere in the high 30's F. jackets mandatory, seats frosty or wet. We are heading into hell, the desert, 105 degrees F. with these old bikes. Our old machines are to be tested this day more than any other day of the entire trip. This route calls for severe temperature and elevation changes climbing Sitgreavess Pass. With a hot steep climb through the second tightest roads of the trip to Oatman AZ, donkey town then to Laughlin NV.
This was a day of nerves and chance. Cary a spare magneto and plenty of water, when the water falls off the luggage rack in the middle of the dessert you go back and pick it up as I did. While in the middle of the dessert, alone on a 96 year old motorcycle without traffic interrupting, you have a lot of time to reflect on what you have just accomplished and the challenge you are about to face. The strangest land life is in the desert, sharp spiny cactus scorpions anything out of the ordinary you find here but wait what is this ?
Traveling west you see the edge of the east bound road on the south (left side). The road (route 66) is below the desert floor and there is a step maybe eight or ten inches where the sun could not shine leaving a shadow along the side of the road. This is where confusion meets reality. In the shadowed area delicate flowers hide from the scorching sun, I was wishing I could hide in the same shadow it was HOT.
Somewhere along route 66 was a long straight up hill gradual climb, nothing outstanding just persistent up hill. Brad and I rode together for a while during this cautious run. We ran at a conservative pace reducing the heat generation these iron machines produce.
While running up this grade you could see Sitgreavess Pass miles ahead. Because of this casual pace several class three, three speeders caught up and passed the Ghost, an uncommon occurrence. As I watched these cannonballers nearly disappear miles ahead on this straight away I thought about my cautious pace, the magneto and the tight pistons. Time seemed to slow to a crawl, heat was scorching, motor running perfect chassis smooth, all is well.
Sitgreavess Pass is rapidly approaching and I notice the three speeders accompanied by Monty (on his late model dresser) falling off their pace, not good for me. I did not want to catch and run this pass with the other bikes. To climb Sitgreavess my plan was to do it at my pace not theirs. The single speed Ghost must run a brisk pace or turn around and try again (gearing is to high for hill climbing). Brakes only slow you down, maintaining speed is critical, alternating brakes/motor will heat the motor possibly cooking the magneto or worse yet pistons. Becoming a pedestrian is not in the cards.
The three speeders and I reach the start of the pass simultaneously. First two problems as we begin the climb is speed and Monty not enough of the first and way to much of the second. Passing Monty a big fellah with ape hangers on his full dresser is a real challenge yet a must for me to have a successful climb.
My third attempt to pass Monty on our way up Sitgreavess Pass was successful. Remember this in not a road to pass on, caution is at a premium here, no bad moves allowed in this mostly switch back street. Once around Monty the three speeders were in my way and the 66 inch torque rich heart beat of the Ghost was up for the challenge (do Ghosts have heart bearts?). Steady application of throttle and limited use of brakes the Ghost passed every thing in sight.
Once around all the class three bikes in sight my focus returned to completing the climb minus the rolling obstacles. You can't see around the corners due to the stone cliffs. As the inside of the road wraps tightly around the cliffs you notice the outer edge of the road is painted with a faded white stripe, paralleled by "the point of no return". Make no mistakes this is a delicate challenge, the most difficult run of the Cannonball event. Put the bike through the eye of the needle and you have a great ride you will never forget, miss the eye and you best be stringing your guitar (the pickle song).
Now the most exciting segment of this climb perhaps the entire run, finds me focused, alone, HOT, running the switchbacks, closing in on the top of the pass, maintaining my speed, enjoying the torque rich motor kicking the rear tire's carc-ssa up the mountain side. Suddenly the road throws an unexpected curve my way, look out! Just past the apex of a left hander the road turns to an indistinguishable sandy surface. The Ghost already leaned over deep now is in a full two wheeled slide. This is where ridding Ducati's benefit me the most. I kept my mind and eyes focused on where I wanted to be yet I couldn't help noticing the roadrunner/coyote style cliff where this ghostly slide is drifting to.
Chrome-molybdenum frame rails and Pirellis come in handy here. I don't think a pair of stock rear frame fails and period Coker button treads would have pulled this stunt off successfully. Exiting the lefty the Ghost re-gained its composure and the Ducati grin once again returns inside my helmet. Everybody should experience the Ducati grin in life at least once, its living.
Cresting the Sitgreavess Pass now on a down hill ride it was time to catch and pick off the next two of the three speeders out front heading into Oatman. With Eric Dunk and Shinya Kimura in my sights, I was running more speed down hill yet the ride was less challenging then the climb although not to be taken lightly. Catching these two riders was both fast and fun. Once finished with this mountain pass cruising through Oatman I realized the Ghost was truly up to the challenge and the remainder of the run should be trouble free.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Yes, great stories. Joe makes riding a '14 as an everyday bike look easy!
Those pistons look like the one I fried in my 90cc chainsaw a couple years ago--only in the Gray Ghost they kept running.
Leave a comment:
-
"Painhead" oh man that's funny! Keep at it Cory, you too Joe - those pistons look spooky to me. Glad to hear you and the Ghost are back at it, very interesting. I can just imagine the looks on modern riders faces as you pass em on the Ghost, cool stuff.
Leave a comment:
-
Joe! You've got to get a kick out of peoples reactions when they find out that you actually ride the "Ghost"!
I've been spending every spare minute I've got out in the shop wrenching on the "Painhead" (a nickname coined by an Indian rider friend of mine) but if you send some pics my way I'll get them posted sometime tomorrow night.
Leave a comment:
-
What a weekend
Saturday the Gray Ghost ran to the local H.D. boutique for a Cajun fest, live band and lots of conversation. Afterwards a trip to the Ice cream parlor in Hell for blueberry cheesecake cream in a fresh waffle cone Mmm.
Next was a run through as many twisty back roads I could find. Seventy five miles later It was back to my house for some home made pizza, good eating great riding can't ask for to much more.
Sunday morning Ghost cleaned, fueled and oiled ready to go, waiting for Brads 7:00 am arrival on his Hydra Glide. The phone rings, its 6:50 am. Brads pan dies 10 minutes away from my place. Quick, attach the trailer onto the F 150 and put the Ghost away. I'm of to rescue, Brad and his pretty lady Shana on the side of the road already troubleshooting the electrical problem without a volt meter. We loaded the bike into the trailer and returned back to my house where we determined him magic capacitor/voltage regulator became an open circuit, failed.
Brad reloads the pan in my trailer and heads back home for his Ducati. Meanwhile I jump on the Ghost and its off for a 90 mile run to the Gilmore. 50 F. and not properly dressed, heavy clouds, dry forecast no stopping now. I ran my Ducati tank bag with a full set of instructions in the top view finder pocket for runing all back roads, this requires many road changes to accomplish.
With a few recalculations to avoid dirt roads and chart errors I made the run in two hours and a few minutes. Fuel delivery was a slight problem when the fuel level drops to half tank. I cleaned the fuel filters out today ((Monday) this resolved the fuel supply problem.
At the Gilmore was a full house this place has double in size the past two years. The bike "show's" were excellent, the museums full of unbelievable machines of both two and four wheeled contraptions. The most fun was watching the 50 cc road races on an asphalt course.
The Ghost fared well in the show with two awards, a first in class and oldest bike. What I enjoyed the most was the announcement to the remaining crowd that the ghost ran the coast to coast Cannonball event. This woke up the spectators with a great cheer and many people from the crowd then responded back "Yes and he rode it in this morning" Exciting to me that the crowd appreciated these two feet's of endurance on this old machine. I can only say thanks to Lonnie for making the Cannonball event a reality and to all those who helped me getting to this historical event. This bike would not have existed without Lonnies "Dream".
Tomorrow I will try to send Cory some photos for loading.
GhostLast edited by Slojo; 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
I hope the ride is a good one Joe! I'll be looking forward to the pictures!
Leave a comment:
-
Anticipation
Today I prepared the Ghost for this weekends ride to the Gilmore Museum. Required maintenance included sealing the magneto body to the gear chest and adjusting the chains. This should solve the right side motor oil leaks, redirecting the crankcase ventilation relieving the excess oil in the motor onto the thirsty primary chain. Gas and oiled ready to go, all else is good with the Ghost.
The bicycle monitor system has only partially functioned, a micro computer mounted on the handlebar that keeps track of total and trip miles, maximum, average and actual speed, temperature, elevation, compass, averages, time and several less important features . I finally have the compass working correctly. This will help me with this weekends planed 100 mile back road adventure to the Gilmore show.
Stay tuned I will take a camera on this trip.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by Slojo View PostToday while preparing the Ghost for this weekend's ride I decided to check the exhaust valves for proper lash. These exhaust valve seats have been a problem with what appears to be seat erosion.
The covers for the exhaust valve spring typically just screw and slide up out of the way. Not this time. The rear exhaust cover was just a little snug but never caused an issue with maintenance. This time loosening the cover was a cinch sliding it up was another issue. As simple as this task is the cover would not give, it would not slide out of the way exposing the lash cap.
The only alternative is pull the motor and remove the cylinder. This opens up another can of worms, scorched piston skirts. We all knew this was waiting to show its ugly face. Do you remember the tight .003 specified piston cylinder clearance and all the times it seized during cannonball?
With a spare set pistons in stock the cylinders will be honed for .005 to .006 clearance tomorrow. The rods and wheels look great, although I will put them into the truing stand and check for run out.
The intake system looks perfect yet I am lightening some of the reciprocating parts to help control valve float. This operation should help the Ghost reach speeds above 70 MPH. For now, I will not have the time to do all that is needed to bring the Ghost up to my intended state of tune.
The cam follower shaft is slightly loose on both ends, repairs to this device are now in process. The early twins had this week point.
Photos to follow hopefully, Hey Cory !!!
Looking at the pistons it is amazing this motor ran and run it does very well go figure. Notice the discoloration from heat at the upper end of the connecting rods, pistons relieve heat any where they can.
Joe






Leave a comment:
-
Chasing the black ribbon
Follow the yellow striped road. Yesterday I thought it could not get any better. I was wwrrr....wwrrr....you know. Today was filled full of riding and visiting. Knock off another 150 miles of Ghostly fun. This is almost like reliving M/C Cannonball. I spent to much time sitting idle at the chosen stops I made but that is part of the fun, visiting friends. Once again the blossoms were filling the air with fragrances and my sensory inputs to the brain informing me how good it really is.
One oil leak left to address, it is located between the magneto and the gear chest. Once this is resolved 95% of all the departing oil from the constant loss system should exit through the crankcase ventilation onto the primary chain. This bike takes a considerable amount of effort trying to keep it clean. The oil loss through the magneto area blows back and covers the back half of the bike with used oil. Every stop I find myself cleaning the oil off to maintain safety and appearance.
I will need to spray clear paint on the pinstripes wrapped around the rims, the oil is slowly dissolving the strips as evidenced on the clean towel used to wipe the oil off the rear rim.
Last year while building the Ghost I was unable to get in any riding, It would appear this year will be spent catching up,,, 5750 miles.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 06-05-2011, 08:00 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Joe! No worries... as far as pics go. I did not receive any. Give it another try and I'll get them posted.
Leave a comment:
-
Cory
I packed light, a pair of sneakers on the luggage rack, sorry. Speaking of pictures I sent some photos the other day, did you not receive them?
Joe
Leave a comment:







Leave a comment: