!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c.o.
    replied
    Joe! I hear "sick" is the new "cool" so congrats on the honors! Sounds like a great day!!! I'm hoping you brought a camera along!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    The Ghost stands tall in its first car bike show, it earned......Drum roll please......"Sickest Cycle". This is the only award for the motorcycle crowd at this mostly car venue. A beautiful day of hot rods cool bikes and good music by the Twisted Tarantulas.

    The Ghost ran like a new bike without a problem. On the way back we rode through a tunnel of trees with a fragrance that convinced the Ghost and I we were In Heaven or at least Valhalla. Riding what is fast becoming my favorite bike the Ghost. This favorite bike thing is something I have never been able to determine in the past.

    Friends, riding, music, rods and bobbers, pretty ladies dressed in cute 30's to 50's costumes, lip stick and short skirts, fragrant blossoms, good food, fantastic old bike, smooth roads what else could one ask for? More miles and more days like today. 5600 miles and counting.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Living with a Ghost

    Keith my neighbor has his stunning Vellocette fixed with an extra long British standard 5/16X22 bolt fresh off the ole Monarch Lathe and Bridgport. He has broken this generator?/alternator strap bolt several times, it should not break any more. Lets hear it for super alloys and metallurgists.

    The Ghost is up and running with a freshly cleaned appearance, ready for tomorrow. The "Sins of Steel" event is a 1964 and earlier no billet no modern anything event for cars and bikes. This show parallels the "Billet Proof" events with true enthusiast running the activities. This is a ride in show. I once cleaned up my black 48 pan rider and trailered it to this show, the event representatives ignored the bike as a Trailer Queen.

    Imagine tomorrow morning a mint condition 1966 Vellocette Thruxton (Clubman? fully faired) and The Ghost a 1914 twin cylinder Harley single speed riding down the road together. The Vello with its megaphone pipe must ride in back. You can hear this thing coming through the trees from a mile away, ouch!

    We must be having technical difficulties with posting photos. A resolution will come soon I am sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Lunch break, time for a brief update. The front exhaust valve was found slightly bent so I replaced it. The motor is now finished and in the frame, all that is left to assemble are the fuel tanks and the primary side. I made up a new set of ex. valve lash caps as the old caps are ground thin from Cannonball valve adjustments.

    Maintenance of the carburetor float bowl turned up loose debris, easily cleaned out. I tried a different approach to sealing the motor, Corning 111. I was told this will seal up mating surfaces without hardening it is not a gasket sealant. I don't like anything that sets up. Eventually sealant has to be cleaned off and removing it usually requires scraping, not good for the base metal, aluminum usually.

    I need to get back on the job, once a Ghost road test is complete a part must be made for my Neighbors Vellocette.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    I'm sure the "Grey Ghost" will be tip-top by the weekend!! When you say photos have vanished, I hope none of what I posted are missing! I took a random spin through the last 110 pages and couldn't find any that fell by the wayside but I by no means re-ran the whole thing. If you notice that anything that I've posted is missing Joe, I will take a look and see if I can get them back up.

    As far as possibly losing photos here down the line, I don't ever intend to let my photobucket go but I can't control what happens out there on the web. If it were easier to load photos here a photo hosting site wouldn't be necessary. Lonnie's Cannonball site was super easy to put a picture on. Maybe that application could appear here at some point. Then a person could possibly over time replace the pictures so the saga of the "!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request " will remain here for good.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Against all odds.

    The motorcyclists of the cannonball that persevered against all odds rebuilding their bikes including but not limited to the following items, motors, transmissions, frames, forks, magnetos, gas tanks, wheels, tires, bearings, stands, controls, handling issues, You name it, it broke or wore out. From the evenings and on through the nights teams worked all hours into the morning on their broken bikes to keep them in the event, Incredible! Unbelievable!

    The past two days in my well equipped shop I have been working hard at preparing the Ghost for the upcoming weekends event. I will need a third day to finish off what I have started, hopefully I can pull it off.

    New pistons to replace the scorched old pistons, exhaust valves faces stretched concave and a loose stud for the cam followers all required attention. With all these issues nearly resolved I struggle to comprehend how these determined riders with badly damaged bikes pulled it off, overnight in the dark of the hotel parking lots on the ground with a limited set of tools!

    Upon inspection of my flywheels I was pleasantly surprised, they were exactly the way I originally installed them. Both shafts had less than .001 run out and the flywheels inspected in radial and axial directions run within .0015 total indicator readings, nice. All bearings and other related components also checked like new.

    Now on to another issue, the bike build articles and this web site. First I am flattered that the club would like to open a special section for this type of article using Ryan bike build and my cannonball build as a foundation to promote similar documentary builds from other club members. I may not have the best foresight to establish a proper venue for this sort of activity, after all I am a bike builder amongst other things and not an author or web master. Lonnie has a good point as it pertains to photos, many of my photos have vanished from my article although I still have all the photos filed and available for recall.

    I thought returning both bike build articles to sticky status, leaving them in the Parking Lot Chatter section was sufficient to keep them at the forefront of the readers eyes. Since "Old photos" relocated I have lost track of it, to busy doing other things. Perhaps some of the other members have better ideas.

    Its late, good night.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jurassic
    replied
    this is a good idea bill,the only problem is most of the pictures in both of these threads are hosted by a hosting site. when a members subscription to the hosting site is done ,all the pictures go away. i've loaded hundreds of great photos to help make some great threads ,but when i'm gone,so are all the pictures. if this site cant host its own pics then we wont be able to save alot of great info for the future.

    Leave a comment:


  • wlwood
    replied
    With the huge interest that this topic has generated over the past year and a half (more than 1,000 responses and more than 100,000 views), it's been suggested that we should find a way to preserve this and the account of the building of the AMCA Youth Program Essay Contest bike somewhere special in the forums. That way, they won't periodically disappear down the list of topics, only to be restored with a new post months later.

    The idea we've looked at would be to create a "Legendary Bike Builds" area under the "General Restoration Discussions" part of the forum. It would start out with just these two threads, and users could not add new threads to it. Instead, the users of the forum could nominate other discussions if and when they reach "legendary" status (maybe 300 posts? 500? Or just a general consensus). That way, longtime forum users will always be able to find the valuable information about bike building (and all of the other associated stuff that went into the construction of these two machines) contained here, and new users can quickly get up to speed on the dedication and hard work that AMCA members put into their machines.

    This would not end the discussion in these threads. Joe and everyone else could continue to contribute posts to the thread so that the topic becomes even more legendary as time goes by.

    So what do you think? Should we create a new Legendary Bike Builds area and start it with these two threads? And Joe, how would you feel about being enshrined in a kind of Forum Hall of Fame?

    Thanks for your input.

    Bill Wood

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Today while preparing the Ghost for this weekend's ride I decided to check the exhaust valves for proper lash. These exhaust valve seats have been a problem with what appears to be seat erosion.

    The covers for the exhaust valve spring typically just screw and slide up out of the way. Not this time. The rear exhaust cover was just a little snug but never caused an issue with maintenance. This time loosening the cover was a cinch sliding it up was another issue. As simple as this task is the cover would not give, it would not slide out of the way exposing the lash cap.

    The only alternative is pull the motor and remove the cylinder. This opens up another can of worms, scorched piston skirts. We all knew this was waiting to show its ugly face. Do you remember the tight .003 specified piston cylinder clearance and all the times it seized during cannonball?

    With a spare set pistons in stock the cylinders will be honed for .005 to .006 clearance tomorrow. The rods and wheels look great, although I will put them into the truing stand and check for run out.

    The intake system looks perfect yet I am lightening some of the reciprocating parts to help control valve float. This operation should help the Ghost reach speeds above 70 MPH. For now, I will not have the time to do all that is needed to bring the Ghost up to my intended state of tune.

    The cam follower shaft is slightly loose on both ends, repairs to this device are now in process. The early twins had this week point.
    Photos to follow hopefully, Hey Cory !!!
    Looking at the pistons it is amazing this motor ran and run it does very well go figure. Notice the discoloration from heat at the upper end of the connecting rods, pistons relieve heat any where they can.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Mark
    Sorry Mark, I am in the habit of spelling names as they are spelled by others I know Brian Brien, Grey Gray, I have a friend named "Marc". The Massa Masa, just a mistake. The half pan is the most comfortable seat I have ever rode on for distance a little firm "butt" just the right shape.

    Cory
    Good to hear from you I miss our cannonball interactions, thank you for all your help. This article would not have ben possible without your assistance. I will be updating the Ghost activities (now with over 5500 miles) as time goes on and finish the commentary on the run across the country.

    I added a pair of Rentz Lighthouse spark plugs (late teens early twenties)to the Ghost and they run good, these are interesting plugs although a little maintenance orientated. They come apart and that is one of their weakness's, hopefully this problem will taper off.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 06-01-2011, 05:20 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    I finally took the time to read the "latest" Cannonball report. Thanks Joe, you paint a good picture. I'm another that will sign up for reports on the comings and goings of the "Grey Ghost"! Bill Harley would definitely be proud!

    Leave a comment:


  • MMasa
    replied
    Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    Speaking of seats, the Ghost's hi bred half pan seat mounted to 1914 sprung base hardware has been perfect through out this entire run thank you very much Heathers Leather for the upholstery and Marc Massa for the half pan seat .

    Joe
    Joe
    MARK MASA, and you are welcome. Glad it softened the cross country ride for you.
    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • chas
    replied
    HD brake's philosophy

    Ah something I know from my HD days. Joe mused about why Bill Harley did what he did.
    Dan Venne (Harley's Engineering's go-to development/release Engineer long before I got there) said it was simply because 'Bill Harley knew when you are stopping on dirt, gravel, ruts, mud - well the chance of dumping is greatly increases with a powerful brake locking'. That and American paving did not begin to exponentially grow until the 20's.
    Even up to the 80's, Engineering's core philosophy was: "HD Shalt Not Make an Easy to Lock Ft Brake". In 1914 the Ghost was not intended to be a sport bike. Just tried-and-true over tough terrain (why they coveted the Jack Pine trophy).
    Joe never toots his horn, but the critical point in any design goes back to 'an eye, a feeling, a KNOWING - what WILL work'. Pretty much everyone reading this know Joe personally. They know - that description fits Joe to a "T". Innovative-practical-reliable - thats Joe. I am frankly amazed that it needed such little shakedown. Would have made Bill proud.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Herb

    I enjoy the Ghost as much or more than any other bike I have owned or ridden. Each bike exhibits different traits. The biggest smiles I have ever had concealed by a full face helmet comes from riding Ducatis, they just do things that normal motorcycle should not do. Nucks Pans Sportsters leather belt drive bikes racing on Barbers Motorsport Museum race track ("Century Race" don't miss it this year two laps) and every thing else are all a blast. I can not explain the draw this 14 has for my attention, I just cant get enough of it. The Ghost has caused for a Ducati like grin at least once during Cannonball that will be discussed in a future update, soon I hope.

    Bill Harley could have introduced a front brake by 1914 for a drastic improvement otherwise he had it mostly figured out by then for the times. I can't tell you how drastic of an improvement the front brake and the modern tires are for this bike. The remanufactured chrome molly rear frame rails have stiffened the chassis to a point where the bike can be leaned deep into a corner and not wiggle at all.

    I just returned from a ride to a local bike night, rack up another 60 miles on the Ghost. While leaving I was escorted out of South Lyon by a local constable, fortunately for me the cop was called off. There was three cop cars and three ambulances with lights and sirens, something else had greater priority than me tonight.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • HarleyCreation
    replied
    Joe,

    It sounds like you enjoy riding the Gray Ghost ('14 Harley single-speed double) better than the Knucklehead, Panhead, or Ducati.

    Have you discovered something about Bill Harley's early machinery that the rest of us don't know and the world has forgotten?

    Leave a comment:

Working...