!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HarleyCreation
    replied
    Joe/Lonnie,

    As the projected 2011 Cannonball stands now, will the 1914 Gray Ghost be eligible for a repeat performance?

    Somewhere I heard 1915 to '29.

    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Lonnie
    I am ok with that, my disappointed is the failure of my rebuilt high dollar magnetos and the thought that I could have fixed it on the side of the road and maybe arrived on time,,,, or ten minutes late with a DNF, yuck.

    I misunderstood the DNF section of the rules are you saying they did not affect the points? If so what did they affect? You did what you thought was best for the event and that is fine with me no hard feelings. I am sure next time , with experience things will be worked out better. My biggest concern is WHEN DO WE GET TO DO IT AGAIN?

    I, like all the other Cannonballers are proud of what you did for all of us and Motorcycling as a whole. Keep up the good work.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • jurassic
    replied
    joe, the original rules stated that any rider who did not ride every mile of a stage recieved a DNF for the day {but got credit for the miles they did ride}. also any rider who did not finish in the time frame imposed got a DNF for the day {but got credit for the miles they did ride}. so you actually did recieve a DNF for stage four. in the beginning the time schedule thing was horrible. we had to give DNF'S to guys who gutted out 100 miles in the rain,and got in 15 minutes late. on the other end some guys had to wait for hours at the hotel before they could officially check in , so as to not be early.we had alot of people waiting to see us at a certain times and places. when all that didn't work we started changing the schedule day to day ,and trying to make sure everybody knew about the changes. i was dealing with alot of confused people all the time. i was confused. how do i solve this problem ? do away with the time schedule. so thats what i did. not so much changing the rules as eliminating the ones that were not working.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Herb
    "Test" perhaps, Cannonball I, the shake down for Cannonball II THE GREATER CHALLENGE. "Ghosts"?, at least one maybe more. "Eight miles"? If at the time it was that important to me I could have made those miles one way or another. The time frame originally imposed prohibited me from chancing a DNF for the day. "Strength" = knowledge next time hopefully I will not go out on a magneto that can't handle the run.

    I think about Cannonball II every day and am leaning more towards a reappearance of the Ghost. A stronger, faster refined Ghost with softer fork springs and improvements made to the front brakes. By doing this the fun factor may equal or exceed cannonball I.

    I prefer light bikes, elimination of the transmission (return of the Ghost) will shed many unnecessary pounds. The Ghost now weighs 310 to 325 pounds with fuel and oil.

    After much thought and conversation I think my "carburetor" issues may actually be intake valve float. This would explain why, at high speeds (70 + MPH) the engine is experiencing reverse intake pulses through the C.V. (flapper valve) carburetor intake port. With the way the Ghost pulls up to 70 MPH I think resolving this easy problem the Ghost may run 80 plus MPH???

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • HarleyCreation
    replied
    Joe,

    All what happened may be a test. Even the lost 8 miles could be part of it. When you go stirring up ghosts like you did, there's no telling what might turn up. But like they say: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe that's true. Hope so. You sure made that '14 Harley stronger.

    I hope the Gray Ghost does make Cannonball II, and that the route goes through or near Wisconsin.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Hi Cris
    Happy having you ridding along with my Cannonball event summarization. I am writing an account of the event as we crossed the country sequentially. Sitgreaves pass in AZ going down into Oatman is possibly my favorite segmant of the run, what a challenge. None the less we will get there soon. So don't go far.

    Milwaukee with the Ghost was a great time as always in the city of bikes babes and brewers. Bill Rodencal did a much better job than I, recounting the Cannonball event during his evening of Cannonball presentation.

    "but you probably missed seeing all of us at the gas stops huh?"

    At the time I was having so much fun I thought I wasn't missing anything, Now with retrospect, viewing all the photos I guess I did miss alot but I am not regretful it was all good. The Ghost ride and the course was so much fun and challenging to run like the wind during the day, socializing as everybody came in at the end of the day was my bonus.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 11-15-2010, 08:01 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • VL Girl
    replied
    Magazine Mountain on the Cannonball

    Hey Joe!
    I'm having Cannonball withdrawal myself! I remember everyone saying that Magazine Mountain was going to be rough. It was pretty easy. There were only a few twisties and YES... the photographers were right on the curve. Fun times!

    The one I remember being more of a challenge was the Sitgreaves pass in AZ going down into Oatman. Oh... and what about that rain in NM, merging onto the 70 mph Rt 40 in the pouring rain going about 45? lol Ah... good times!

    I heard you went to Milwaukee. I'll bet that was fun... but you probably missed seeing all of us at the gas stops huh?

    Take care. Hope to see you sometime.

    Cris Sommer Simmons
    Cannonball #89
    "Team Effie"

    Leave a comment:


  • Tom Lovejoy
    replied
    Keep it coming Joe, great reading!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Mmmagizine Mmmountain

    Lonnie Is that a nod of approval for a return appearance of the Ghost in Cannonball II ? Read on good friend.

    Where did I leave off?,,, Brad and I missing near disaster and a trip to Valhalla or some where similar by narrowly avoiding "Locomotive Breath". I hope I am not out of sequence here brain fade sorry. Riding together all day Brad and I arrived in Hot Springs Arkansas. Everybody in the cannonball would have to agree, the best overall accommodations for the entire Cannonball trip, period.

    We pulled into Hot Springs where locals and out of town visitors welcomed us by their show of support. Hot Springs convention center parking lot was boiling over with people wanting to be a part of Lonnie Isam's Jr., Genius, "The Motorcycle Cannonball". Motorcycle friendly people of Hot Springs Arkansas opened the convention center for three days to all involved in Cannonball and those who were curious wanting to stop in and see for themselves.

    Brad and I pull in early and backed up to the curb. I initiated the shut down process when the Ghost stalled prematurely, Humm? We both lifted our bikes on the rear stands when seconds later Brads rear tire sounds off with the last thing you want to hear from you tire, psssss. Laughter from all in ears reach rang off. Brad had the last laugh latter when I went to start the Ghost and determine magneto number two failed (also flew the gew) during the shut off moment. The Ghost, pushed into the convention "service" center for maintenance with the sense of accomplishment by magneto number two doing what it had to do for the day before it gave up the ghost (sorry), make the prescribed distance and it did... barley.

    In the convention center, Hot Springs permitted us liberty, anything and everything was acceptable including manufacturing (Jon Szalay), welding (Urban Hirsch), engine, transmission and chassis rebuilding (to many to list), Soldering (myself and several others), Magnets were the rage for several cannonballer's. Even support vehicles received attention.

    Urban graciously lent me a spare magneto after Bruce Linsday came through with a promise of an overnight shipment magneto from Ohio. Timing (oops) as it was I decided to install Urban's magneto immediately while reserving Bruce's magneto as a backup. Thank you gentlemen.

    While in Hot Springs the convention center was a buzz. With a big Bertha electric soldering iron (on loan from Billy Campbell) I soldered a small leak in the left fuel tank brass fitting. Followed by a new primary chain, and a second replacement magneto. All cannonballer bikes trucks and trailers were INSIDE on a clean smooth floor for show, maintenance and safe storage. People whom showed to say hi or lend a helping hand became a source of energy for those already weary from the schedule. I was happy to see friends like AMCA members Steve and Sandy Dowdy following along, stopping by to lend a helping hand in maintenance of the Ghost. The local AMCA chapter members showed in force and were helpful in locating parts or supplies.

    Friday evening in Hot Springs many greazzzy cannonballer's cleaned up for the banquet dinner and party. Possibly the best meal of the entire event. Thank you very much Hot Springs for your generosity.

    Saturday morning the planed route full of concerns for class one and possibly class two machine riders. Locals were warning the riders of the upcoming Magazine Mountain climb. Both up and down the mountain will be challenging for these primitive machines. My decision was, run my stock street gearing (4.07 ratio) and hope to power through the upcoming hill climb with torque and momentum (speed). We left early in the morning to find the entire town already up and waiting for our departure. Cameras were everywhere and locals were cheering us on as if we were superstars.


    Once out of town and down the road a while Magazine Mountain presented itself. For the Ghost and I things could not get much better. I jumped right into my aggressive mode required to crest this size mountain on a single speed bike. The Ghost was up to the challenge again, not leaving me wanting.

    After climbing through twisties, switch backs and hairpins nearing the top I was in the groove Mmm Mmm Mmmm. With calculated speed and control perfectly balanced I approached a blind left hander. While pulling the Ghost down into the hairpin curve passing through the apex I was presented with a new problem. SUPRISE, local photographers on the side of the road ON MY LINE. They were sitting on the road's edge paint strip with their feet over the outside right hand tire-track in search of the special low down photo.

    Never do I ride 100% on the road. Always reserve some room for ??? and ??? presented itself. I pulled the Ghost down further into the corner where I could hear tires scratching at the road surface and sense the faint smell of Pirellis working to near capacity. Now passing through the corner I am seeing up close expression, faces off two photographers while lean angles are almost to my dizzy point, adrenaline rush junkies will understand.

    I completed the turn and ran up the remainder of the mountain side with ease, disaster avoided. This is one of two favorite corners in the entire cannonball event for me. The Ghost proved its handling prowess like a tiger it bit into the corner and cut my best corner exit on the run. I sure would like a copy of the photos and or video shot by the surprised photographers. It would also be nice to have my prospective of their facial expressions captured on a film when they saw me coming around the corner.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • jurassic
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    country joe & the gray ghost.hmm

    Leave a comment:


  • woodys garage
    replied
    Weird Joe, when I was reading your report the Country Music Awards was on TV. Yea I know slow night in the garage, Woody

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    here is your opening verse. the only curves i'll be handling are on a foggy road.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Wow Joe! A country song is definitely forming.

    It's funny you should mention the return of the Gray Ghost for the next Cannonball. I was thinking that with the way it runs and with the odd thing fine tuned........why not? If you hauled arse across the country and beat the later bikes what a story that would be!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
    Hmm...sounds like the unholy speed of the Pope OHV wanted to get out and show it's stuff. And that was a single!

    In the early days every time they tried to put on a non-competition tour it would turn into a race. One time at Milwaukee 1913-14 their Goodfellowship Tour became a race when the Pope riders decided to prove their speed. Some things never change...
    I heard Vince's Pope OHV big single ran 60 mph. With better preparation that bike could have taken the Bronze and possibly the overall event.

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...