!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slojo
    replied
    Woody
    Now I know why the candy shop at the boat dock had so much ginger thanks for the advice. I was told that saltine crackers also settle the stomach.

    Cory
    I tried the horizon thing and believe it helped, no land in sight here just six to possibly eight foot waves.

    Thanks for the positive comments guys.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Woody nailed it with "exhilarating and motivational!" Joe your tales from the road are always a hoot!!! I feel for ya with the sea sickness. I've had a few bouts and can't recall ever feeling worse in my life. I've heard of the ginger option but have yet to try it. It's also important not to get mesmerized by the water. I've found that picking a point on land (if you can still see it) and or focusing on the horizon helps...

    Leave a comment:


  • woodys garage
    replied
    This excerpt and others about riding the Grey Ghost are exhilarating and motivational! The service people would be right to put up a picture of you as a real biker. My comments on sea sickness would be ginger. Comes in a form much like a hard candy found in Walmart and such. Hope this helps for future needs, Woody

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Ghost in the museum

    Back from the Milwaukee tour and a great time. The ride on the !914 Ghost, Michigan to Milwaukee had me rolling through scenic autumn colors. Fire orange, Brilliant reds, bright green and stunning yellows with the look of fluorescence as the crystal clear blue sky allowed the sun to burn through the foliage, unnimaginable. I toured as many back and river side roads as possible. Yes the Ghost now has proven itself as a touring bike, handling, smooth running and comfortable one cannot ask for more out of a 96 year old bike from 2010.

    I found myself lost (so what) until I stumbled across some fantastic twisties cork screwing up into hills. Things just keep getting better as the miles rolled along.

    Once I reached Muskegon I had to locate the Lake Express boat dock. During this part of the ride I stumbled across Hot Rod Harley Davidson a dealership just a few miles down the road from the boat dock. Parking the Ghost outside the dealer emptied the facility. Some interisting people came to greet me and ask questions about my bike and ride. We had good conversations rolling along when I overheard a service man telling the other when you develop that picture (of my bike and I) to hang it on his tool box and attach a note saying "This is the definition of a real biker". After several conversations I was given instructions directing me to the boat dock and off I went on a new leg of my journey where I could have used a couple extra legs for this next event.

    Arriving at the boat dock and purchasing a ticket across to Milwaukee left me with an hour and a half to relax and speak with the locals interested in what I had to say of the bike and ride. We were given warning of the rough conditions for the boat ride and that Dramamine was advised. I don't react well to creative chemistry so opted out of the motion sickness pills. Probably a big mistake, although while on the boat ride across Michigan Lake I was able to maintain my composure on the outside I cannot say the same about my insides. Note to self, perhaps Dramamine would be an easier substance to accept than the sea sickness so many others on the boat dealt with.

    When we reached solid land and unloaded the Ghost I found myself in the dark cold rain following a local gentleman leading the way to the H.D. museum where I met up with Bill Rodencal and my friend Dan (of "World Wide Chicago" my cannonball sponsor, a machine tool distributor). We put the Ghost to rest in the museum, I change out of my ridding gear and we all went out for dinner.

    The next couple days were business related in Illinois and then back to the Milwaukee Museum for an evening of Cannonball and Bill Rodencal. Bill had a slide and video show presentation prepared for about 200 paying guests along with a wet bar to entertain those with the thirst for adult beverages.

    Things started out difficult for Bill and his interviewer with technical difficulties. Soon with the bugs worked out Bill ran off with a detailed recap of the Cannonball event. Bill has an excellent recall of the Cannonball event, people, their names and places he kept the attention of all the crowd. I don't think there was a yawn to be detected.

    Bill commented a couple of times about my participation in the Cannonball event. One, my passing him at speed entering corkscrew twisties with Rocket Rex in chase on his GSX Suzuki. We did a disappearing act into the upcoming scenery. This was clearly a highpoint in Bills mind as was my final comment in Santa Monica "lets turn around and do it again" at that point Bill said never again, he later changed his mind.

    With the satellite weather reporting 75% rain showers including thunder storms I managed to hitch hike a ride for the Ghost and myself home. I had not brought a rain suit and decided cold was one thing, rain was another, the two of them, not a pleasant thought. Dan arranged the first leg of my return trip and my Cannonball Pit Crew Chief Chris meet up with us to take care of the second leg of the return trip much like a relay race.

    We stoped in Three Rivers Michigan and had another great meal at the Fischer Lake Inn Restaurant thanks to Jeff and Sharon for the great service. Perch dinner for all three of us, it was excellent a usual.

    Now with around 4500 miles on the Gray Ghost it is time to think about exhaust valve seats. The seats were found sunken deep when we originally built the engine. I have now lost about .028" adjustment on my exhaust valve lash caps. New exhaust valve seats are becoming necessary. This is a delicate operation on !914 and earlier cylinders, any experience suggestions out there?

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 10-25-2010, 04:25 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • schmittm
    replied
    Joe, hope you and the ghost are having a great time in Milwaukee!
    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Road Trip for the Ghost

    Tonight I ran 85 miles and had a little tank rust enter the carburetor, not much of a problem, I just changed the cotton ball fuel filters and all was well for the return trip home.

    The Ghost is now with a new primary chain, rear tire, valves and steering head adjusted, oiled, gassed and lighting batteries charged. I have just to put my clothes in the tank bag and sneakers in the rear bag prior to an early morning ride to Muskegon.

    Tomorrow (Wednesday October 19 2010) after about a 200 mile cold Autumn ride to Muskegon Michigan I will take a high speed ferry boat ride across lake Michigan to Milwaukee with a short 2 mile ride to the big house of Harley Davidson for a Friday evening of Cannonball with Bill Rodencal and over 100 paying guests.

    Not quite up to Victor road trip status but at least without adult supervision.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Holy Smokes Joe!!! Exciting indeed. It looks like the law showed up just in time!!! Tonights post was a good read! Thanks for taking the time to do all that typing. As far as the Gray Ghost proving itself... I don't think anyone who has followed this build is surprised......

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Accumulating Miles

    Other than the crazy woman that disturbed most every body while in Kitty Hawk things for the Ghost and I went uneventful through September 10th 11th and12th. The first three days required no more than oil, gas, and primary chain adjustment. Not bad for an all new bike built from nothing more than imagination.

    Day three we rolled into Dales Wheels Through Time Museum were we were welcomed by the locals and those from out of town that came to see the museum and the Cannonballers. Dale rolled out the red carpet and put on a great evening for all of us. As usual for me the museum is a sight to see no mater how many times I visit Maggy Valley's best attraction.

    While at Wheels Through Time I ran in to several friends. Michigan transplants now located around the Knoxville area. Yes these guys made the transformation from Yankees to Damn Yankees and they all came to support my Cannonball effort. Bob, Ron, and lets not forget the Rocket himself Rocket Rex the fastest guy I know on one wheel. Long ago while ridding my Ducati at 130 mph in an undisclosed safe location the Rocket Man running behind me blipped his throttle on his turbo-charged Yamaha R1 and lifted a wheelie past me like I was standing still. Rocket will play a roll in this cannonball latter.

    On our way to Coker Tire Chattanooga I was ridding in fantastic mountain passes through the twisties, up and down the road between tunneled trees. Things could not be much better when from nowhere a Suzuki pulled along side me. I looked over and found none other than my old ridding partner Rocket Rex, this was a great surprise. Rocket and I did a lot of ridding prior to his escape from the claws of deep dark Detroit misery. We road together for the remainder of the day, what a pleasant surprise for the both of us. We neared the end of the day's ride when unexpectedly the Ghost misfired and back fired a few times then rolled to the side of the road dead.

    The blazing hot sun forced me to push the bike down a hill and on to a side road where some shade could be found. An attractive young lady approached me, she had come from an apparently broken down pickup truck and was asking for help. I had explained to here that I also was broken down. Then from behind the truck a man came out approaching me at a fast rate. I did not have time to think about what was happening. Before he could reach me two Federal cop cars pulled up and started questioning all of us.

    The officer asked me what I was doing I told him repairing my bike. He informed me that I was on Federal land, I remarked good thing because I was a tax payer and held a share in the land so there could be no problem, caught him by surprise I guess. The officer then questioned the couple with the "broken down truck". A short while later after running all our names the officers left us with instructions for departure and this is where things got interesting. The couple with the broken down truck entered the truck, fired it up, and drove off as if nothing was wrong with the vehicle.

    Rocket and I came to the conclusion they were about to attempt a robbery. Close call? We will never know. With all the confusion and limited amount of time left on the clock prior to the dead line DNF (Did Not Finish) I determined the magneto had slipped timing by way of the old flew the gew method and the only way to ride in was to reset the timing. Easy enough except this could cause a drastic failure if the gew churns to much of a load causing a broken magneto shaft or pinion gear drive key failure. This would possibly put the Ghost out of the running.

    A decision was made and Rocket towed me the last eight miles to Coker Tire putting me out of the running for the rest of the event. The Cannonball rules changed the next day returning lost points to other riders moving me back to third place in class two standings. Furthermore at the end of the event all rules violations subject to points penalties such as chase vehicles following and supporting points contending bikes were overlooked.

    At Coker Tire we had a fantastic time with the red carpet rolled out again just as Dales Wheels Through Time event. The Coker shop and Dales shop were both a buzz through the late hours of the night with many bike repairs. The Ghost received its first magneto transplant (a good used unit) and all was well for now.

    Joe

    PS: With a ridding trip to Milwaukee planed for this week the Ghost received its first new rear tire, another new primary chain, a new spoke magnet for the bicycle style speedometer, exhaust valve and steering head bearing adjustments. Everything else checked good. Now with about 4000 miles logged on the Gray Ghost I can say with confidence that it is a great bike and has out performed all my expectations, handling, speed, comfort and reliability. It has been a better bike than the BMW R1100 RT I bought new in !996.
    Last edited by Slojo; 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Buzz Kanter
    replied
    Joe, you are my hero. You are a dedicated and skilled motorcycle enthusiast and rider. Proud to have spent time with you on the ride and love the Ghost!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    The Journey

    Back to the keys for a while, The weather is changing fast, with the autumn colors at their peak riding season is near finished here in Michigan. So the intelligent thing to do is grab your leather and hop on the closest bike to the door, which happens to be the last one in the shop, The Ghost. I have been out riding the Ghost since I last posted here. Now with near four thousand five hundred miles it still runs like the first day I started it, just without the seizure problems.

    The primary chain is shot again, the rear tire is past the wear bars and the front brake shoes are not in the best condition based on the brake arm location. Now that Cannonball is over I have been getting caught up with all the things left unattended prior to the antique motorcycle event of the century.

    Back to the run. The Merkel, man what a drag. This bike seen a lot of work prior to the start of day one and just didn't have what it takes to make it. The example of "never give up" would be the theme for the Merkel crew through out the entire event.

    Leaving the Hotel was grand, 44 bikes pulling out of the hotel following the coast line with a cool breeze and hot sun the run could not have started out better. We then rode to the Wright Brothers memorial and set the bikes up in order based on the bikes year of manufacture for a panoramic photo session. Afterwards was the true start of the Cannonball run where each bike had its start up time delayed about 15 seconds from the previous bike.

    Several miles into the run we crossed two water ways where the second bridge elevated the road quite a bit. This is where things got ugly, my bike stuck the pistons again this is about the fifth occurrence in under 400 miles and now is becoming a bad habit. Several bikes passed on by while I sat at the top of the bridge waiting to see if cooling the motor would allow it to restart again. It did, what a relief. The rest of the day was spent running at a cautious pace and no further troubles occurred.

    Gas mileage, about 45 MPG, oil consumption was low less than half a quart in 200 + miles. The gas mileage would remain about 45 MPG for the entire trip and the oil consumption once tuned in reduced to 4 to 8 ounces a day depending on temperature and miles per day. The oil control dripper was opened about 1/8 turn from stop. This setting would equal about a drop of oil per 20 seconds. In my opinion this dripper may be better than the !915 style of oil controled drip pump. It is eaisly and instantly controled for proper oil regulation.

    With the piston and ring selection oil burning was limited only to the top end lubrication poured into the gas tank. The Ghost was not one to fill the air with smoke and if caution was observed when pouring un-metered Marvels Magical Mystery oil into the gas tank, tail pipe smoke would be undetectable.

    By now I have determined that the only real mistake made in the build was piston to cylinder wall clearance. Three thou. (.003") should have been five. With .002" more clearance the bike would run faster without seizure problems. I should have disregarded the piston manufacture and trusted my common sense when it came to this all important piston / cylinder clearance issue.

    Magnetos are already failing on day one and many of these magnetos are rebuilt by the same shop that rebuilt my magneto . My concern for this problem has peaked and I am un-sure as to what to do other than just hope for the best.

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    I know this is double posted but seeing as Slojo is one of the Cannonballers featured I thought I'd put it here as well!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Final preparations

    After the past 10 months building the Ghost I was left without the energy to do much of anything. My best description of my condition was I felt like Superman (completing the build and making it to Kitty Hawk on time) on Kryptonite (totally powerless after the accomplishment). Bikes were showing up at Kitty Hawk N.C. many prepared some unprepared for the upcoming event. Temporary photos studios with lazy suzans set up for the capture of each and every machine on film. People a buzz all around no one knowing what to expect out of this group of individuals and their machines.

    Typically I am into problem resolution especially bike problems. Not this time I did not have it in me to lift another wrench. I stood back and allowed the other guys straighten out the haunting's of these troubled arrivals. This was not by choice but out off necessity.

    Pre !916 bikes spread out over the parking lot, wheels clutches motors a little of everything. The sounds of hammering rang threw-out the day and evenings. Motorcycle by B.S.A. Excelsior, Harley Davidson, Henderson, Indian, J.A.P., Merkel, Pope, Premiere, Sears and a Militar (what?), (some would also say an obscure unbranded bike known as a Gardella model Gray Ghost). It was like your favorite Christmas Nightmare, old bikes coming back to life for the dead line day , tomorrow !

    These bikes have come to be put to the ultimate test a 3300 mile run across the U.S.A.. Not the way it was accomplished 100 years ago, putt putting across the country in and out of towns running the Rail Road tracks, dodging those pesky recently displaced Indians and their disgruntled disposition, eating what you shot, cleaned and cooked yourself and sleeping under the stars. They are running on paved roads at speed, yes SPEED the Devil for may of these early machines, Hotels, gas stations and other convinces abound.

    Finally Day one, the sun is shinning the Pope has arrived alive all things are good except for the Merkel...

    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Great way to recall a story Joe!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Getting to know the Ghost

    So here we are at the end of the build, for all those who have not read the posts please go back and get caught up no sense in repeating myself.

    As shown in the videos my first fire was good for a few seconds the second ran for a little longer and the third with added gas in the tank ran fine until what appeared to be a stall under a seizure. Yes I was right the Ghost had a bit of epilepsy. The pistons were set at a tight .003" as per the piston manufacture. No mater how much information was fed to them about these early iron IOE motors they insisted on the tight setup.

    I put about 30 miles on the first ride with a stall due to tight fitting pistons, a seizure. The next day sprocket ratios were changed and a few other things finished off. The oil was drained from the crankcase and inspected for impurities, it was clean as a whistle.

    Day two after the first run I fired the bike and set off on my second journey to anywhere. Three miles down the road the motor had an epileptic seizure, damn forgot to replace the crankcase oil and also neglected to turn on the oil dripper. Five minutes later, fresh oil dumped into the engine the Gray Ghost re-fired and ran about 300 miles with another seizure at about 40 mph, quick push in the clutch pedal.

    At this point I was exhausted and out of time. My past experience with a little 98cc 1963 Ducati Bronco and seizure problems was very much the same as this one so I took a chance and decided to run with it. The Bronco was basically a NOS bike that would run to about 25 MPH and then stick for about 5 seconds. After about ten of these seizures it finally loosened up and now is happy running about 60 plus MPH.

    A short trip to Davenport including a few putts around the grounds led me to the conclusion that caution and patience should be the primary concern while seating in this motor (not breaking in).

    Finally after 11 months and all my preparations the day has arrived to run to Kitty Hawk NC. Rick, Chris and I loaded the bike and supplies into the trailer and shoved off.

    Two days latter we showed up to find the California crowd and their !915,s all lined up. It was a great time watching all the cannonballers arrive with their bikes. While we waited for the start of the event I took a 20 mile ride along the coastal road. All was well until the breeze picked up from the ocean front cooling the cylinders fast and yes another seizure. Moments latter the bike was re-fired and off we went. This is becoming a real problem.

    Tomorrow the run starts and I am having serious problems yet I am not overly concerned I am confident the troubles will fade with miles. At this point my biggest fear is the one that did cost me my eight miles the magneto.

    See you tomorrow
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Ohio-Rider
    replied
    Kat, I have to ask…… Was this post just to fool around or where you really disappointed with how the event was managed?

    Leave a comment:

Working...