!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
Joe - this has been a fantastic thread! Thank you very much for taking the time to photograph and post your progress. Your skills are truly awe inspiring. All the very best in the cannonball run ... Perry
-
Joe, I saw you riding around in Davenport, gave you a thumbs up. Was unable to find your resting place so I could take a few photos. Hope to see you in Maggie Valley on Sunday.
I have enjoyed immensely seeing this build on the forum. If only we had more of the same from others (myself included).
Regards,
Lonnie Campbell
Leave a comment:
-
That is an Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Motorcycle and from one Tool Maker to another your work is Outstanding! That being said, the rectangular mirror looks even more out of place on the'14 than it would on a Pan or Chief! Good Luck to ALL on the Run!! If it were up to 1928 I would be there with you. I have done it on my '37 Chief so I know how much fun ya'll are gonna have! Danny
Leave a comment:
-
Looking good Joe. It would be great to see some of the other bikes from the event posted here. So far all I've seen is yours and Buzz'es. Come on fella's lets see em while they are still clean.
Leave a comment:
-
Details
After entertaining a few friends today it was back to work on the 14. A brake light and switch installed and wired brings this project to near completion. Some just in case safety wire twisted on the intake push rods to prevent loosing them if something should go wrong. Finally the number plates mounted on the main fork rocker stud. This stud was made the same as the longer front fender mounting rocker studs just for the purpose of mounting the number plates or adding a fork brace to deal with the new front brake loads.
See You Tube for, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Gj8Vf3Hh4 (1914 Harley Davidson Cannonball bike #48 Introduction by slojovideo 100_8750.MOV)
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 09-06-2010, 05:24 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Joe you are incredible! I just wish I was there to see you off and see your finish. Go fast boy and arrive safe. Bob L
Leave a comment:
-
Good time in Davenport
Back from Davenport Chief Black Hawk AMCA meet. I was privileged to meet many of you who have been riding along with this build. It pleases and inspires me the readers of this article have such positive comments about what I have accomplished here and with this bike build. I would like to take the time now to thank all of you (responders and silent types) very much for ridding along, my High School English Teachers would be proud.
The bike is performing well and I can hope that my error, operating without oil has not caused to much damage. Time is short as is my current motivation so an inspection tear down is not in the plans.
The remaining time prior to departure for Kitty Hawk N.C. will be incorporating additional lighting (if the bicycle stores are open this holiday weekend), mounting the #48 number plates, packing and other pre-departure responsibilities.
While at Davenport the bike failed to fire once, fuel delivery was suspected. Off with the fuel dirt trap caps and out with the cotton ball fuel filters. Both filters were overwhelmed with rust particles. I have dealt with this in the past, a few cleanings and all will be fine, not a problem just routine maintenance for a while. This cotton ball fuel filter trick works well and has saved my carburetors and rides for many years.
Following is a You Tube video caption from my first ride, my favorite part the curves. I ran through at about 65 M.P.H. the bike handled these curves without any fuss it held a tight line and was stable.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Product development woes
Ah! As a certified engineering member of our 'long line gray line', (a Harley-Davidson project engineer at 3500 West Juneau Ave. Dept 842 the chassis lab 1978-1982), if I may offer my professional opinion, Joe and his highly improved 1914 big twin are entering what can be deemed 'the prototype's shakedown phase'. It is up to Joe's work to break such a 1-off machine in, uniquely. He will learn, as we all have, by thought, trial, error, more thought, solution (repeat if required).
If SloJo is able to 'go the Cannonball distance' it will be an achievement worthy of both H-D and Joe's skills as both the initial WSH design, an a modern a machinist, and a motorcycle engineer.
Good Luck, God Speed!
Leave a comment:
-
joe
dont take offence to my comment - I was just returning the shot you gave me - your workmanship to bring another early motorcycle out of the boxes is commendable at the least. we need more people like you in this hobby
I am up against a simmilar wall as you were - parts not useable , unavailable , or no one wants to sell "because I might find another "X" project and might need that part " I will need to remanufacture the parts I need as well ( I dont have your skills or equipment )
the pedals are the least of my pickings, eclipse clutch and troxel seat parts, motor items etc or higher on the list. if things go good this winter hope to return it to oley to show it off and ride ( fingers crossed )
see you in kitty hawk joe - i'll buy you a soda and wish you luck on the trip
aka HAWG
Leave a comment:
-
Trouble in Paradise
Monday the sump oil was drained and inspected, clean as a whistle.
Today I left home on the bike three miles down the road it stuck. The oil dripper was not on and the engine sump was still empty. After a cool down period a restart and a mile down the road a repeat sieze. Next was to allow more cool down time followed by pumping the pedals with the decompression turned on so the oil could splash around lubricating all critical points. Success,the rest of the day was uneventful with about 250 miles breakin time. I know the bike much better now. They all have their personality's this one is a charmer.
The suspension works excellent (seat and fork) not once was I abruptly jarred by road conditions. All the controls work just as nice. My only complaint is the gas leaking from the float bowel. I determined the float level was to high allowing gas to escape through the vertical draft port in the bottom of the carb. During several attempts to fix this issue I found the float to be a problem it is heavy and the material compressed, relaxed since assembly causing it to come loose on its mount. While testing several times trying to find the magic float level the carb lower threaded stem broke.
Now it is panic time followed by repair mode. A new stem machined and silver soldered by 1 AM this morning allowed the carb to be put back into service. The float level now is very low hopefully it will be road worthy any higher and it leaks out the tube. I find this float level issue typical on every early carb that I have worked on.
I will leave for Davenport tomorrow with the 14 for all those who are interested in seeing it. Stan bring the 48 it is my cannonball number.
AKA Hawg
You call my bike what ever you like as long as it makes you happy. I also have one of the finest all original early twins in the world yet I realize I am only the current care taker of this fine jewel for now and find it irresponsible to take it on such a road run. This 1914 was built in a short period of time, many original parts are either unavailable or worn out. I wanted to make a new finish bike (restored) and many old used parts would not due.
This machine makes me happy it is what I set out to build. It is what it is and I am proud of it. My crime is I made what is unavailable and improved many original designs with my remanufactured parts without being easily noticeable. I'm sure William Sylvester Harley would approve. Have you found pedals for your X yet?
Its very late and I have eight hours of road time tomorrow. My time is short and am unable to respond to all the comments and questions right now.
Thank you everybody for supporting this article with your interest and all the positive comments. I will continue updates when possible. From here on out they may be scarce until after the cannonball run. Perhaps then I will finish this article with a final report and start my next project bike build???
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Hey Joe, are you going to have the 14 at Davenport? Look foward to seeing you.
Stan with the original 48 Pan.
Leave a comment:
-
Believe me it is my desire. Unfortunately a bike of that vintage is not within my reach.Originally posted by aka HAWG View Postwhy will you not be on the run?????
aka HAWG
Just another reason I am so envious of Joe.
Leave a comment:









Leave a comment: