progress
well, it looks good anyway
!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request
Collapse
X
-
No rest for the weary.
Nearly finished, perhaps a first firing is in order for tomorrow. I am used up, think I will sleep in.
Few things went right several went wrong most of them corrected. The push rods are about 3/8" short for this style rocker arm set up. I will make new ones tomorrow and send them off to heat treat this week.
With some loose ends to take care of I will be busy tomorrow finishing off the last of the issues.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 08-27-2010, 10:23 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
I hope everyone is up and running well enough to make the start... and off to the finish!!!






Leave a comment:
-
Midnight
Lonnie, Cory
I haven't made many videos lately, they don't seem to gather much attention. I do plan to have a camera running on First Fire.
Today has come and gone already. I have been able to rely on my personal hardware store (the Okuma) to get what ever hardware I need. Such as today's requirements, new case motor mount sholder bolts and the three tall head magneto bolts.
With the magneto installed and timed to 37/38 degrees advance I was able to move forward on other issues such as the damn pedal start mechanism. Fred Lange sent me this nice unit but it has been the cause of many hours of frustration since first installed. It has never worked properly. I knew its short falls but was unable to make corrections with out remanufacturing a few parts.
Fred, always the gentleman stands behind his work and sent some spare parts to work out the bugs. I knew the eccentrics were not matched and are part of the problem. One of the parts Fred sent was an extra eccentric and it has a greater amount of offset, this is just what I required to resolve a major issue with this assembly. Once a little machine work was completed to bring it up to date with the rest of my modifications it installed nicely and worked. It is still close, boarderline to causing some grief but should work. More plans to make necessary changes are in the works.
Chain and sprocket alignment look good. The pedal crank already scared the cam chest cover,,, Ouch. Battle scare are multiplying with three or four small nicks in the paint. Touch up will be the remedy for this problem if time is available.
I have information that Matt Olsen has bombed out his motor already (a broken sprocket shaft,,,big power stroker motor). He should be able to fix it in a few days. Steve Barber also in trouble with his 15 twin as are a few other early runners. Lets hope enough time is still available to return their bikes to running condition.
JoeLast edited by Slojo; 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Video would be good...


sorry I will have to post the rest of the pics sometime after photobucket finishes up some maintenance....
Leave a comment:
-
joe, this could possibly be the most anticipated moment in this motorcycle's history. please get some video.
Leave a comment:
-
Count down
After the usual rescue of another ill Okuma (this one accidently bobby traped by my good friend Dan) I went straight home to get back to work on the Gray Ghost.
The upper rear motor mount had seen its day and was not going to work on this bike. A block of steal donated its life to be cut up and turned into a more useful item than something to stub my toe on.
After about 45 minutes in the Okuma, a trip to the Bridgeport, pedestal grinder and buffer polisher out popped a nice fitting motor mount. This made me happy. The simple things in life aahhh.
The exhaust head pipes were calling my name. To fit the rear head pipe the cam chest had to be removed,,, I forgot. Pipes cut to length and flanges welded on the top end (Thanks again Chris for rescuing me on this challenging weld job) they fit well, thanks Steve H. for the tubes.
With eight hours on the road today not much else completed. Another night shot means one day closer to fire up.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
Anticipation
Rob
My brain is a mess after these past few months building. If my memory is correct baffles continued through early Knucks. I chose to leave them in whether they are beneficial or not. "Did the baffles change on later j models" Baffles basically remained the same until H.D. removed half of the baffle leaving two quadrants with and the other two quadrants without the early style half moon baffle. When they did that I don't know.
This evening the carburetor and its controlling linkage including the twist grip was installed. Copper washers turned on the Monarch lathe seal the nipple against the cylinders. The control sleeve stem was a few thousands oversize. Clamped in the Okuma vise, program and set up to circular interpolate the O.D. to size was a breeze. The sleeve now fits the throttle lever perfectly completing the carburetor and throttle control.
Joe
Leave a comment:
-
joe did the baffles change on later j models? could be a long thread one day THE BAFFLE OF BAFFLES to drill, remove or replace.
Leave a comment:
-
Mike
Good question, the front cylinder baffles create a low pressure zone in the area above the baffle for high velocity air passage during an up stroke of the piston to help draw oil into the front cylinder. The rear cylinder did not need baffles it had the oil slinging off the flywheels into the cylinder for piston cylinder lubrication.
Joe
Leave a comment:














Leave a comment: