No announcement yet.

Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan that's one awesome education your getting in SD! It's good to see your diving right into things!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Ryan
      Being on the selection committee for the bike give away I was confident you were the right candidate for this bike build. You have not let me down. Keep up the determination and good work. Don’t forget, if you do something wrong you must remember this… at least you are doing something. Also remember there is always something to learn in doing something right or wrong. Take your time when unsure and also remember the golden rule, rule number one is pay attention, rule number two is when all fails refer back to rule number one. Not to get you nerves but everybody is watching now and latter on.
      Joe

Comment

Today was a really big day. We jumped around from little project to little project trying to put out fires and keep moving forward. The coolest thing that happened today was Ryan using a tig welder for the first time. I welded both of his tanks together for him last week while he watched through the spare welding helmet, and today he tried it for himself! I think that he did a really good job, you can check out the pics and make your own decision

I have four 45 frames at the shop and Ryan's is the only one that has this hole going all the way through the neck casting. We decided to fill it up, here he is filling in the hole!

The finished product! We ran out of gas for the tig welder right when he was finishing up.

Here is the rim for his back wheel, it has had four holes drilled in each side to hold the tire in place, Ryan will fill em up as soon as we get more gas for the welder.
        A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Ryan you will need to learn how to TIG weld with at least a left hand glove on (You know like Michael). Keep up the good work. Try everything they are willing to throw your way.
          Joe

Comment

don't 45 frames have a pin there to hold them togather?
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

With help from Matt and Carl, we got all the flywheels and rods assembled tonight!
              Here I am getting the bearings lubed and ready to install

I got all the nuts torqued to the right specs, hate to have something come loose!

And here they are getting trued.

We are now just waiting for one more part and we can assemble the cases

Comment

Ryan learned how to sand the little Bs off of stainless spokes yesterday. He did such a good job on his that I had him smooth out the spokes for my sears project too!

Ryan fell in love with the 36 shift arm set up on a couple of bikes in the shop, so we fit one of our reproductions to his gas tank. I found something interesting out, the shift gate is a little farther away from the the shift pivot on a 45 when compared to a knucklehead tank. Anyways, I am glad to see one of our arms on ryans bike, It will look great!
                A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

We got some more work done on the motor today. A bearing spun on the case so we had to bore it out on the mill and make a new oversized bearing on the lathe. Here it is before...you can see the groove.

Here it is after all the new bearings are pressed in.

We are also getting a lot of work done on the frame. Matt and I got it all welded together tonight!! Here it is all welded and rough filed.

Since it is Christmas Eve, Matt and I have decided to work late and finish the frame so that I can have a rolling chassis for Christmas! Hopefully we will have pictures of it by morning
                  Last edited by Ryan Mackey; 12-24-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Well guys it was a marathon morning/day/night today. We got Ryans frame glued back together, it still has to be brazed for aesthetic affect, but it is structurally sound and ready to run! We just couldn't resist getting the bike up on wheels so Ryan could see what it actually looks like. The wheels, rear fender and seat belong to other projects. I just threw them on there so that ryan could see what his bike actually will look like.

Here is a pic of the other side. We are fitting up the handlebars, headlight bracket and ride control tomorrow. Merry Christmas everybody!

A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Merry Christmas to you Matt, Ryan, Carl, and all! Very inspiring read, thanks for keeping us up to date. Ryan must be in hog heaven!
                      Dave Swanson
                      1956 FLH
                      1969 FLH
                      1964 XLCH
                      1956 KHK
                      1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

What a great life time Christmas memory for Ryan. That 45 is looking great as well. Glad to see another flathead coming to the Buckeye state. Ryan your going to turn some heads with that beauty. I still can't believe how much has been achieved in only a few weeks. Merry Christmas everyone and stay safe. -Steve
                        ------------
                        Steve
                        AMCA #7300

Comment

Well Ryan, the question is...did you get what you wanted for Christmas ?? The project looks great - Merry Christmas to All!

Comment

Fantastic…. What a great looking project. Keep up your current pace and the bike will be completed in the first trip to S.D.. Ryan will be riding before you know it.
                            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Woodstock View Post
                              Well Ryan, the question is...did you get what you wanted for Christmas ?? The project looks great - Merry Christmas to All!
                              Your mock-up has the right posture for a great looking bike when you're finished Ryan. You and Matt are doing fantastic work; so I'll bet you are getting what you wanted for Christmas. Mark, I'm doing contract work in Orlando next week so I'll be able to see your Chief and your new Bridgeport. Merry Christmas to everyone in the AMCA. . . And even the infidels who don't belong to the AMCA.
                              Last edited by exeric; 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Well,, I hope you two found time to attend candlelight services last nite !!

Comment

Working...
                                X