No announcement yet.

Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the best thread I've seen since joining. Between Slojo's project and Ryan's, this winter should fly by.

Hey Ryan, Hang in there. Matt will give you one of the better jobs soon. And feel free to chime in once in a while around here.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
      Sharp looking fresh piece there ! I bet Ryan is proud of his new craftmanship. All that tough grinding and fitting really pays off. Ryan is getting a good base knowledge on the use of an endmill cutter to boot. Feeds and speeds are tricky to learn by first hand trial an error. I remember my first go at an endmill cutter, without consulting the machinists bible, broke that endmill cutter rather quickly. LOL ! Paps

Heck, my second attempt didn't last that much longer
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Amazing how far an end mill will bend before snapping. Oh... The good old days of earning a cool $2.25 an hour. While destroying tooling at a rate of $3.00 per hour.
        Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 12-16-2009, 06:24 AM.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

We are waiting on the .875 tubing for Ryan's frame, so we decided to clean the oil tank. One of my friends in England told me that he always cuts his 45 oil tanks apart to clean them out. The way a 45 tank is designed, there isn't really a good way to get to the bottom of the tank to clean it so this idea makes sense. In this pic Ryan traced the outline of the mounting tabs and the tank.

This is what it looks like, he also drilled some holes for the mounting bolts!

I cut these welds off with the cut off wheel.

Then Ryan cut inside of the welds on the mounting brackets. This is a touchy operation but it turned out well.

Then Ryan ground the weld off of the seam all the way around the tank. Check out the oil bubbling out of the seam.

This is what the inside of an oil tank looks like. This tank slips onto the inside piece which has a lip around the whole thing. Then they are welded together.

This is all of the big stuff that was stuck inside of the tank. Ryan is cleaning the tank out, then we will beat out the dents, and I will weld it all back together. Have a nice day!
          A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

I just did that with a set of '48-'50 OHV tanks. You can really get at the dents and hardly any filler was used to finish them off. I don't have a tig outfit so I did what H-D must have done. I gas welded them with steel filler rod. I was slow and clumbsy at first but once you get the hang of it you can really sail along and almost "hear" when it's right. Still, I have to wonder how H-D did that in volume considering the number of years that tank was produced. I guess after many years of welding gas tanks; a guy would get quite proficient at it.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I just did that with a set of '48-'50 OHV tanks. You can really get at the dents and hardly any filler was used to finish them off. I don't have a tig outfit so I did what H-D must have done. I gas welded them with steel filler rod. I was slow and clumbsy at first but once you get the hang of it you can really sail along and almost "hear" when it's right. Still, I have to wonder how H-D did that in volume considering the number of years that tank was produced. I guess after many years of welding gas tanks; a guy would get quite proficient at it.

Eric,
              I have a friend that worked for HD in the 50s, and he said that the guys that welded the tanks together were the neatest thing to see. He told me that the torches that they used to gas weld them together had a 6 to 8 inch skinny flame, and the welders held the tip of the flame 4 or 5 inches from the seam that they were welding. Sounds pretty wild, I wish that I could have seen it.

We went to the Palm Garden for lunch. I am friends with the owner Carlisle, he gave us two fresh ginger bread men. They were really good.

Here is what the inside of the tank looks like after it was bead blasted.

Here is the worst dent after a little bit of pounding. We filed the tank to see the low spots.

We took this opportunity to beat out a couple of the dents. I usually use a brick, but I wanted to impress Ryan, so I dug out some actual body shop tools...
              A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Here is the inside of the tank after Ryan beat the dent out

Here is the outside, it is really nice. It will still need some bondo, but not much. We beat out a couple other dents and ....

I clamped a piece of thick steel to the tank before it got tacked together.

We got most of it welded back together, then our pizza showed up. To be continued...
                A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

You guys do nice work.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    You guys do nice work.
                    You've got that right Eric! It looks like if these guys gotta fix something they make sure it's done right! What a great thread...........
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Matt and Eric,

If you have a decient dc welder you could buy a Tig torch ,regulator and small bottle of gas I generally use argon unless I am welding aluminum for roughly $350. bucks or so and trust me when I say this you will wish you did it years ago.

And a foot pedal will make your life a lot more easier to, I have been tig welding for close to 30 years now mainly welding stainless steel.
                      Chuck
                      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

The Right Man...kid?

Matt
                        I am surprised that initially you did not have confidence in Ryan’s ability. After all the deliberations through the selection process and all the great talent the applicants demonstrated by their essays you should have known we picked a winner.
                        In Ryan’s essay he demonstrated self perseverance in the difficult times with his family fracturing he did not give up,,, Read when the going gets tough the tough get going, right?
                        Ryan also showed confidence in himself by personal motivation with COMPLETION of not one but two bikes while still attending high school. You remember pure pressure by the kids who thru difficult time may have taken the wrong path not Ryan, while his friends were out doing who knows what Ryan BUILT BIKES.
                        His mechanical ability shined through by his capabilities to actually build bikes with the most basic of tools in his garage. Probably not much more than a hammer and a pair of vise grips. Ryan is not a dreamer he is an achiever.
                        Ryan was not picked because he had the best grammar or writing skills. He also was not picked because he had the best smile (although the best smile may have been a good candidate). Ryan was selected because he earned the position he now holds. Ryan has articulated his abilities of self motivation talent competence skills…..he has the proofs.
                        Besides Matt in our candidate selective process consideration was taken so as not to bog your shop down with a burdensome candidate lacking sufficient skills to pull this bike build off. The objective was not to invade Carl and your valuable shop time. The club as a whole has demonstrated by all the parts donations, that it is excited to bring Ryan into the fold.
                        I personally am looking forward to you building the Sears Spacky for the Cannonball so we can once again ride together across country, we can’t have a incompetent unwilling kid holding you a competent willing kid back.
                        I also look forward to perhaps riding along side Ryan some day with his bobbed fourtyfive.
                        Give it all you have Ryan the club is behind you.
                        Joe
                        Last edited by Slojo; 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                          The reason that I have been typing all of these messages is because Ryan is still waiting on his account to get activated. Hopefully he will be up and running in a week or so, and he can help with some of the posting responsibilities. Last night was a good night, we finished welding up the tank, and straightened out the mounting tabs. The lower rear tab on his gas tank is broken, so he will make one up today or tomorrow, while we can still trace the good tab for the oil tank. We did a fun oil line fitting lathe project yesterday. I machined the first one, and ryan did the second one. Ryan is running rubber lines on his 45, so we had to do a little bit of lathe work.

Here we are turning down the od of the nipple.

In this pic Ryan is cuttting the second radius down to a diameter of .365

Then he takes out the material in the middle to finish it.

The finished part!

Here is a pic of Ryan straightening out the oil tank tab!

All three tabs are straight de burred and ready to be welded to the oil tank.. as soon as Ryan copies the rear one.
                          A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Build-up pictures

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                            I'm with these fellas! If this is the beginning of a new trend for this forum I'm all for it. Thank-you Matt for including the rest of us in this build!
                            Yeah! These threads showing build details are the greatest. I don't think there's many of us that can't learn something from this thread and Joe's thread. Nice clear photo's too. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Ryan, you're a lucky guy, I'm sure your bike is going to turn out great.
                            Doug.
                            Doug McLaughlin #6607
                            NorCal, USA

Comment

Yeah Matt and Ryan!

Thanks for sharing this Matt! The tanks came out great... Glad Ryan is wearing the glasses too.

Gotta love the gingerbread guys too.

Comment

IMG]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/MatthewOlsen/P1040062-1.jpg[/IMG]
                                We left off at the oil tank being 80 percent welded back together. We finished tig welding it back together, and tested it for leaks. Ryan sealed off the fittings and drain plugs and put an n.o.s. oil tank cap on the tank and filled it with water and tested for leaks. There were none!

With the tank seam leak proof we moved onto welding the tabs on. Ryan laid the tabs on the template that he made earlier, then set the tank on it.

Then I welded the brackets on the tank for him. Ryan is still learning how to tig weld, and doesn't want to practice on anything particularly important. We will get him trained up by the end of his stay in south Dakota!

The next project that Ryan moved onto was making a repair piece for his bottom gas tank mount. The one on the far left is the damaged original one. The two directly on the right of the damaged ones are the practice tabs that he made. They didn't quite turn out the way he wanted them, so he made another one, which was perfect. I admire Ryan's attention to detail and high standards.

Here it is welded on the tank, Ryan cut the original tab off on the tank surface so that he could have some additional weld holding the new tab to the tank.

Here is the other side, the weld penetration is very good.

With the tank project out of the way for now. Ryan moved onto drilling the holes in his frame for the plug welds that will be holding the tubes and slugs together.

The plug welds will be strong enough to hold the tubes in place forever, plus we will be sweat-brazing the joints just like the factory did. This will be a very strong and un detectable fix when we are done with it.

Ryan is bead blasting his cylinders right now, it will probably take him all night. I am going home, have a good night everybody.
                                best,
                                Matt Olsen
                                A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Working...
                                X