• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like this is the man to beat!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

The big news out of Monday's long (292-mile) stage of the Motorcycle Cannonball is that the list of riders who have completed all the miles (now 2,114) is down to 11. Something happened with Dale Walksler's 1915 Harley yesterday and he lost 2 points, which means he drops out of the tie at the top.

Meanwhile, all three four-cylinder machines (two Hendersons and the Militaire) all completed the entire course--two after being completely rebuilt.

Check out the latest post: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

Bill Wood

Comment

Has anyone heard what is wrong with Dales motor?
        I followed him from Hot Springs to Fort Smith. It was running fine, but he was smoking moderately all day.
        I hope it was something he could cure last night and get back on the road today.
        You really have to give everyone in the Cannonball a lot of respect. All of them are going through a lot on the road and then wrenching every night to keep them going.
        Jim

Comment

Latest AMCA Cannonball news is top notch. The Gray Ghost doing 65mph and arriving two hours ahead of the next rider. That show's how capable that bike is.

Good to see the 4 cylinders are back in action. Sounds like they had to shake the "bugs" out of them. The singles are still hanging in there with Katrin & Dieter putting in an outstanding performance. Interesting detail about Katrin stalling on a hill then going back down to the bottom and rushing it for a second attempt, which was successful.

This contest sure shows how technology, durability and rideability advanced in just few years time. The twin came along more to conquer hills than for speed it would seem. But it was the three speed that civilized the motorcycle -- sort of.

Another interesting angle are the types of modern lights and other small mods to make these antiques street legal. Even the trophy bike representation (SNO?) has a small head and tail light on it.

Tommo: I have the Page book, but haven't taken it out lately. I also have a file of early articles about belts, drive systems, clutches, etc. That angle may be worth examining sometime. Belts and clutch-less bikes are a lost world but a huge part of the early pioneer days.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I see the latest info is a little slow at coming tonight... I'm guessing folks are getting tired. While I guess it's old news, here's a clip from Oklahoma.

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Rewind to Arkansas....

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Another one from Oklahoma...

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you very good. Those boys are riding hard just like my dad use to. You hear Slow Joe putting a deal together in the back ground? He's not so slow 65 mph on that bike. Or more?

Comment

I'd have to watch it again the background noise is loud enough that I didn't catch much that he said..... Here's the cool little '11 with that Caterpillar rod!!!

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• John is good and sounds like the bike is running better that ever. Good for him. I have sold him some good parts over the years and i have got some nice parts from him.

Comment

• Very sad to read tt Katrin *** got a problem and hope tt the repairs will be succesfull overnight. If nothing works, they will for sure bring the Spare Bike, a 1914 Calthorpe onto the street. I am sure tt Katrin under all circumstances wants to reach Santa Monica on 2 wheeels. So keep your fingers crossed tt the little *** can continue the competition.
                        Bill, a short notice in the morning if the *** is running, would be very much appreciated.
                        Thomas - from Germany
                        AMCA Member #16550
                        My Blog

Comment

• Mr Wood:
                          I want you to know that I had a very disappointing day yesterday at work. Craned 14,000# up to about 100', a 93' long catwalk, and it wouldn't fit! Set it back down on the ground at 7 pm. ... then had a few beers, and a little "novacaine" (sp?), came back to read your report, and.......... went to bed grinning from ear to ear!
                          Woke up still grinning! Now been up since 4:45, had to write and tell you (and alll) just how much this event means to me. ... a whole big bunch!

So how about a video of Katrin and Dieter launching their bikes? I'd like to compose the background score. whaddaya say?

Comment

• Good morning everybody. Greg Harrison here from The Antique Motorcycle Magazine. I just spoke with Bill Wood, who has just left with the group from Albuquerque, headed for Gallup,New Mexico, mostly on old Rt. 66 whenever possible. There's an 80% chance of thunderstorms forecast today, which will make life interesting for all the competitors.
                            For more information, click on: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

Comment

• I too hope that Katrin and the 250 J A P makes it. The old Dodge City 300 mile race isn't the only contest worthy of the title: "The Long Grind."

Another interesting bike in this event is the 1914 Pope "big overhead single" in Class I, ridden by Vince Martinico.

Being one of only a couple fully OHV motors in the contest gives the Pope a special flair. It would be nice to see photos of it and hear more details about this early OHV motor. Seems like it's holding up okay -- and making the hills.
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======
                              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• What happened to Buzz's Buzz? Is he getting tired? 7th place ain't too shabby though !

Comment

Working...
                                X