Motorcycle Cannonball Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Cannonball Miscellany

For those of us who can't be there, let along ride in the Motorcycle Cannonball, here's a place to post interesting things you read or hear about.

Or just random thoughts....

I really cracked up when I read in the AMCA article that Matt Olsen got a speeding ticket on his '14 Sears -- suitable for framing!

Jim Dennie's 1915 Militaire is an astounding machine to attempt this epic adventure on. Who would believe anybody would try it on such a rare, valuable, and outlandish motorcycle? Talk about dedication!

I hope we get detailed coverage about the breakdowns and mechanical problems encountered and their improvised fixes. Plus funny anecdotes and adventures along the way. Brushes with "the man" would also be entertaining. Plus the inevitable spills and close encounters with deer along with the motorcyclists eternal nemisis: "Jupiter Pluvius."
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

I too wondered how rain would affect the old bikes.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Sure is amazing that 1915 Militaire, although see a 1912 version! (what motor was used then?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Retro...Q5fAccessories

Hope we get good machine comparisons, like road tests of today.

Comment

Folks, remember that there is daily coverage of the Cannonball from the Antique Motorcycle's own Bill Wood. Go to the AMCA website and follow along, Coast to Coast!
        Greg Harrison, AMCA Editorial Director

Comment

Here's a link directly to the coverage: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

The weather looks great for today, but they're calling for a chance of rain the next two days--just as we hit some of the steepest climbs of the entire route.

Bill Wood

Comment

I have seen the First report & was wondering what that point structure is it for Miles completed ? If a rider is listed with 0 points does that mean he didn't get out of the parking lot or is there a min. # of miles before points are given or did it take to long to get from point a to point b, so they don't get points?
            Anybody know/
            Thanks
            Oz

Comment

Good coverage

Thanks for the link, Bill. Good info!

The "live" AMCA coverage has me laughing. A boom box strapped to a 1915 Harley! Stubbs with the sidecar EX doing it the way old Bill Harley would have instructed his test riders: "You can carry all the spare parts and tools you want -- as long as you can fit them in your sidecar." Old "Pop" Schwinn must have had the same philosophy.

Motor failure on the Premier at 70 miles was hard luck. What is a Premier anyway, an English bike?

And this: a 103-year-old 1907 J.A.P. belt-drive 250cc single ridden by a German woman. Incredible!

Hearing how these direct-drive clutchless wonders are difficult to handle at stoplights proves the contention that early riders did NOT stop but barreled on thru at any cost. Which, I believe, is why motorcycles became so hated at an early date. The "wild one" is actually a very old invention and far older than what modern writers claim about drunken bozos at Hollister. The demon-driven machine is as old as the invention itself. Pennington and "The Motor Cycle" proved that already in 1895-'96.

Pennington is on this ride in spirit and no mistake.

It would be interesting to hear if these old motors overheat and seize. Also which bikes conquer -- or don't conquer -- big hills & mountains. Give us the gory details. This don't look like white gloves or pink tea.

Also, is there a list of the bikes with a full description of their equipment and specs? That would help a lot getting the full flavor of this great epic trek across the continent. So would photos of any riders in period riding togs.

This is amazing.

Oh oh!

"....they're calling for a chance of rain the next two days--just as we hit some of the steepest climbs of the entire route."
              It never fails to happen -- Jupiter Pluvius!
              Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Being so damn close to OBX, not being there has been killing me like you wouldn't believe.
                But I found this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMpP...eature=related

I am sure others have hit upon it. I liked it. I believe the first bike shown may be SloJo's, not sure.

Matt Olsen is easy to pick out and I think I got a glimpse of B. Rodencal, too. I am sure you folks will be able to spot others.

The legs are a fun distraction, too; the videographer needs to be spanked!
                # 5844

Comment

I can't make any of the videos work on my old Mac, so I'm depending on still pix and the AMCA updates.

Yikes! Editor Wood has broken down with the chase truck. But his latest post has lots of good mechanical details. No indication that Slojo or the Militaire had problems yet.

Has it started raining there yet?
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

Cannonball Day 1 & 2

44 riders left Kitty Hawk in perfect weather conditions. Joe on the Grey Ghost had a slight engine seizure just after the start going over one of the long bridges. After a minute or two he refired it & contiuned on to the finish. The bore is tight & will need a few days to run in. Most others made it without much trouble.I think Matt Olsen had a little trouble not sure what. The 13 Premeier may have broken a crank, It seemed a little worse to me as you could feel a lot of clunking and the crank had a lot of lateral movement. Day two started in good cool weather but turned into a damp rainey finish. Only 20 something bikes made it to the finish with a lot of them coming in late. The finish was at Harley Davidson of Charlotte with a lot of fanfair. Dale Walkser & company were the first in with Joe on the Greyghost arriving shortly after. Joe said he had another slight seizure when the rain started and the air temp dropped but nothing to worry about as the engine is still tight. The Thompson brothers from Nebraska were split up as the 14 Indian chugged in to the finish but the Henderson broke. Jim Denie on the Militare finished both days in good shape as did Chris Simmons. Sorry i'm trying to recall this from memory. but all got a huge welcome from the crowd as they came in. Jim Petty on the 15 Indian finished both days without trouble but Matt Olsen had problems again on the Sears. I will be with them tomorrow but will leave Dales for home. I will try to update tomorrow.

Comment

Let me try to answer a few of the questions. The scoring is based entirely on the number of miles traveled (one point per mile). A rider can get credit for miles traveled below the full mileage scheduled for the day--so a breakdown at 40 miles gets you 40 points (well, actually 39, but let's not get into that). The maximum number of points available for the entire ride is 3,294, which is the latest update on the total mileage.

Here's where it gets tricky. If you don't make it to the finish in a particular day, you get a DNF for the day (even though your mileage is still counted). And you're only allowed eight DNFs for the entire event. So in the short term, not finishing the entire course for the day costs you the ability to score a high finish in your class. And in the long term, several DNFs could mean you won't score an overall finish of any kind.

I hope that's sort of clear.

The Premier was a British brand that, I'm told, went out of business in World War I.

And yes, Jupiter Pluvius (as Herbert says) did arrive this afternoon. There was (mostly light) rain in the last few hours. That, combined with a long, 225-mile course, meant that only 20 riders are now on maximum points. I've tried to post scores here: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

I'll try to get a full entry list with bikes and years to post soon.

Bill Wood

Comment

wonderful

Thanks very much for these up dates, can't git enough - this is awesome stuff. Well done and thanks again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rashd View Post
                          Being so damn close to OBX, not being there has been killing me like you wouldn't believe.
                          But I found this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMpP...eature=related

I am sure others have hit upon it. I liked it. I believe the first bike shown may be SloJo's, not sure.

Matt Olsen is easy to pick out and I think I got a glimpse of B. Rodencal, too. I am sure you folks will be able to spot others.

The legs are a fun distraction, too; the videographer needs to be spanked!
                          Joes # is 48............good luck to them all.

Comment

Seems the Militaire had prob down as DNF 2nd day
                            General question.. what happens if before last stage a few riders on equal points, presume a straight race to cross line 1st to claim the trophy ?

Comment

Updates are great.

Knowing the scoring system is good. Tells a lot about general situation of all the bikes and riders.

How many belt-drives in this wild brew?

This is almost like a speeded up re-enactment of the entire early motorcycle industry in microcosm. See which bikes can "take it" and which can't. Lots of other factors involved, of course, but it sort of feels that way. It's the greatest endurance run the antique motorcycle world has ever seen.

For those who might not know the term, Jupiter Pluvius was a very early motorcycle term for the god of rain. You see it all over the early mags and Uncle Frank (Hap Jameson) brought it back in the 1920-30s. Maybe it never went away. Rain as the motorcyclist's nemesis hasn't gone away. Starts as a drizzle, becomes a light shower, then comes down in buckets. You know the routine.

Great event!
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======

Comment

Working...
                              X