Comment

And some of the Harleys....
      Attached Files
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

And of course the Sears and Roebucks........check out the front brake on the unrestored one......
        Attached Files
        Louie
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Glad to hear that Matt Olsen got off relatively easy. He's young and should mend okay. Cannonball site says he hit a pothole and bike went out of control.

Very interesting in Bill Wood's report about the Militaire losing its oil dippers. Sounds like the original design may have been faulty. Gotta wonder if the inventors ever tested it under such tough conditions. But it's still a magnificent if quirky machine.

Interesting about the different materials used to keep the belt-jobs in the running. It would interesting to hear how the belt Harley singles (Szalay, Kafton, & Ousey) manage hills. Do they slip the belt and creep up? Or do they rush hills under full power? Or are they sometimes copping a tow?

I too wonder why the Gray Ghost lost 8 miles on Day 4 and dropped way down to 15th. What happened? The Class 2 Ex single-speeds on top really stand out now. Like Pop Schwinn would say: "The Ex always makes good!"

One thing I can't understand is why the bike brands aren't listed in the daily results. There's a lot of bikes there. Why can't people know at a glance what they are?
          Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Gotta love that sprocket!
            72 tooth, I had to ask.
            Attached Files
            Louie
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I've just had a chance to catch up on the action!!! Man what a ride!!! My hat is off to Lonnie for starting this run in motion. I too wish Matt a speedy recovery. For those that haven't you have to check out the Coker clip .... http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/ This has to be the greatest antique motorcycle event ever!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Quick updates from the road:

GregH: Yes, the results as posted reflect all of the tiebreakers. So if multiple riders have the same score (have covered the same number of miles) then the top position goes to the rider who: 1) is in the lowest class--Class I is for single-cylinder, single-speed, Class ii for multi-cylinder, single-speed and class III for multi-cylinder, multi-speed. 2) Is on the oldest motorcycle. 3) Is the oldest rider in age. The age of the rider only comes into play when they're tied in all other categories.

And in response to several questions, I found out that Joe Gardella's Gray Ghost suffered a magneto failure the other day (there was a lot of that going around). At first, he was mistakenly credited with completing the course that day. That mistake was later corrected.

It's very hot here in the South. Yesterday, the temp hit 94 and it's expected to reach that again today. So far, the bikes seems to be holding up to it quite well.

Here's the latest update from the News section: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=2&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=97

Bill Wood

Comment

I sure hope someone is going to make a movie or dvd of this amazing event!

It's very interesting to read the daily reports and a true test of the machines and the riders on them.
                  AMCA #10930

Comment

Talked with Fred Lange, Buzz and Slow Joe this morning and they are all glad to have a day off. The bikes need worked on but those old guys need a brake. The heat and sun has been cooking them and the magneto's. A few of the magneto's are losing there guts that is why you need to put the miles on before you started the race.
                    I called at 10am and they were just having food then it was off to the hot springs for a day of rest. SURE, they will be working and playing all day and night.
                    Lost one of the top 13 riders yesterday, Dave B. , now there are only 12 with a top score. Them 15 HD's kick ass. I am not so sure age should be a factor in the races?

Comment

Where are you Bill Wood? It's been two days? The last report was very good Bill , thank you. And you are doing a good job. BUT we need the news everyday? and sometimes two times a day.

Comment

Calling Bill Wood!

Yeah, where did Bill go? Sweep truck break down again?

After 1400 miles in those quasi-bicycle seats those riders must be saddle sore.

I'm still wondering how the H-D belts and other single-speed U.S. bikes negotiate the steepest and baddest hills. No mystery how the 3-speeds do it. They are modern bikes by comparison.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I agree, they are too modern. Why not make it pre 15 or pre 14 ( Indian 3 speeds) next year. Looks like a cake walk for the Harleys.

Comment

There are very few pre 15 riders. This ride would only have 8 riders in it. Why not have it only 15 Harleys? The rest were left in the dust anyway. There was a reason Harley out sold Indians. The Indian company was on it's way out from 1913 on. They use the same trany for 25 years, a grinder tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by marsh1915hd View Post
                              There are very few pre 15 riders. This ride would only have 8 riders in it. Why not have it only 15 Harleys? The rest were left in the dust anyway. There was a reason Harley out sold Indians. The Indian company was on it's way out from 1913 on. They use the same trany for 25 years, a grinder tranny.
                              Why not have it for 2000 & later Harleys. They could ride from dealer to dealer as long as it's not farther than 25 miles. The winner would be the one who went the most Dealerships,drank the most beer & bought the most stuff with Harley Davidson emblazioned on it. Indian still made the best Motorcycle.

Comment

You would have a hard time going to Indian dealerships. Or are they making them again? Or who's going to make them next, China? Or buy one of Kwies new INDIAN'S. The key words is " MADE" They been gone for 57 years. I do like riding my 47 Chief but my 47 Harley is much better rider.

Comment

Working...
                                X