No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Cannonball Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiosity; if there was a tie for points at the finish; would the bike with the greater content of period parts be given the nod over a bike with modern upgrades?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

oldest bike wins. ...bill
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

what is the story of this amazing lady on a 1907 belt drive with a perfect score so far ?! I can not get enough of this as the rest of you. looks like Frank Westfall was really moving along at a good clip
        and several of the others on video seem to really have their act together. I am green with envy and wish them all the best , what an amazing story this is going to be. I hope someone with gearhead mentality is making a documentary type
        film of all this.

Comment

Originally posted by 23JDCA 808 View Post
          oldest bike wins. ...bill
          What if it's two 1915 J's?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

3 class 1 bikes on max points still German couple + Paul Ousey on 13 Harley 9A (Larry Wood bike?)

Gets real tough today, a few big hills to climb methinks!
            Last edited by Greg H; 09-12-2010, 04:48 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              Then the one with the least oil in the crankcase wins.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Come on. There has to be some tag alongs. We need more updates and videos from spectators. I can't get there until about Hot Springs.
                I hope there are not to many drop out before then.
                So far I am watching what is shown on the web.
                Really a historical event that I hope is well documented.
                Good luck to all the riders.
                Jim

Comment

YES, we need more updates! How many lap tops are on the ride? You left your camara in the trailer? U are top reporter. We need news NOW and often. You are our eye's and ear's. We need the sound of those Old V-Twins. I will be waiting at the end for you dirty old riders.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    Lowest VIN.
                    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Cannonball Day three

You couldn't wish for a better weather today, it was absolutely beautiful. The riders started from the Wolf Bay Lodge in Concord NC. There were a few no shows this morning--The Militare was on the truck, Matt Olsens Sears,The Thompson Brothers with the 14 Indian & Henderson and Several others. The 13 Premiere was back after a local machinist made a new crank pin then at 1am this morning it was up & running. Slojo Fired up the Ghost with very little effort & it one of the sweetest running bikes there. The ride started on nice country roads then moved on to rolling farm roads. Everyone knew that the last part of the day would be tough as you could see the mountains growing in the distance. We saw the 13 Premiere at a gas stop & it was smoking badly. Not much later it went on the truck. Frank Westfall's Henderson also got a ride in. The riders then began the climb up the mountains to the Blue Ridge Parkway that would take them to The finish at the Wheels through Time Museum. Slojo was one of the first to come off the mountain but kept riding up & down the street without stopping (he was told not to arrive early & had been killing time since he was over an hour & a half early) He said it was one of the most senic & enjoyable ride he's been on. No problems for the Ghost today. Dale Walksler & company were at the front again today.Jim Petty on the 15 Indian left this morning with Christine Simmons but came in alone. His bike seems to be motoring right along. Buzz Kanter finished well all three days with several Excelsiors, The crowd at the finish today was HUGE. Bikes were parked everywhere & the crowd had to clear a path as each rider came in. You could not see the finishers bikes all together for the crowd. Dales shop in the back was a crowded place as repairs had been going on most of the day. Matt Olsen had the engine out of the Sears. One of the Excelsiors was being rebuild along with 3 Harleys. Several were outside the shop in the grass with the wrenches out. I'm back at home but Slojo has my # so if he finds time to call i'll post it

Comment

Quick updates:

--The final tiebreaker (after Class, mileage, age of bike) is the age of the rider. That puts guys like Matt Olsen and Steve Barber at a definite disadvantage.

--In the News area, I've now found a way to post the complete, official results. Check it out at http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...t01returnid=97

--Riding in the sweep truck, I typically see only the guys who are having problems. But I'm trying to track down some of the top contenders for quick interviews in the morning before riders leave. I'll attempt to post some comments from them as I get time.

--All of the above has been made a little more difficult by the fact that the sweep truck trailer suffered a flat tire at the end of yesterday--so I'm off to the local tire store. I want to be in line to be their first customer of the day when they open at 7:30.

Bill Wood
                        Last edited by wlwood; 09-13-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

So age of the rider is part of the formula. That makes sense. Like old bikes have problems, old riders can have problems too.

Wonder what put the Militaire on the truck? "Smoking badly" is nice imagery and so is "see the mountains growing in the distance." Reports on other bikes good too. It's easy to imagine bikes apart "in the grass with the wrenches out."

It's not clear to me how many of the machines are belt-drive. It would really help to know that detail.

Are any of them belt?

Sounds like the Gray Ghost is settling in and Joe's careful work and revisions are beginning to pay off. For some reason the idea of a single speed twin is appealing. Maybe it just speaks old, but not belt old. Joe explained his ideas about picking the '14 model.

The 1907 J.A.P. ridden by Katrin continues to be amazing.

Glad to hear the weather cleared before the mountains were reached. Hopefully it will remain clear and dry as they mote west.
                          Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======
                          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Hello from Germany,

just a few words to the german couple. They have the advantage that their bikes hv already survived the German Rally North to South (abt 1000 miles) last year. And believe it or not: They do not have any support crew, just a few spares and tools. They are really tough guys. They will make it to the end. And no road will be too steep. ;-))

Thomas
                            Von Cannonball Run
                            Last edited by flh75; 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM.
                            AMCA Member #16550
                            My Blog

Comment

That J.A.P. engine looks to be exactly half of the famous J.A.P. "90 bore " twin. but only a 250 cc ! Amazing to see this and a BSA single leading the parade. What happened to Pete Gagan
                              with his English Zenith and Bryan Bossier with his English B.A.T. ? How many 'no shows' on the starting line? It would be interesting to see the age of each participant next to the rest of the info
                              in the standings since we are now aware this is a factor. I agree with Herb, let's hear the nitty gritty of what broke .

Comment

There are four belt drives still in it. With the leader being a belt drive, Diet Eckel, 1913 BSA, Katrin Boehner , 1907 ***, Dave Kafton ,1913 HD, Jon Szalay, 1911.
                                Dave Kafton was seen in Wal Mart buying a new vest and he will be on the road this afternoon. Them belts just don't do hill. As soon as the 3 speed came out they junked them belts drives. We are gearheads and need the nitty gritty of what broke. How it broke and how it was fixed. Get in there and give us the good stuff. The fastest and the slowest.

Comment

Working...
                                X