!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Wauseon

Pin striping resumed today, after the frame was about 20% finished and looking good the striper washed all the striping off. He said he would return tomorrow with a different brush (spear I think).

Instead of fixing the problem with one Okuma (vertical machining center) I took parts from another older turning center (my guinea pig) to get the machining center up and running the quick way. Once back on line I finished leveling the base and squared the head as best as possible for now.

Back to the flywheels, a call placed to Paul Osborn of Truette and Osborn the flywheel guy for a brief conversation. A quick question answered (with basically "I don't know") and casual conversation left me with the knowledge that Paul made flywheels for many of the cannonball bikes, not mine I chose to keep this process in house.

Since the machining center was about ready to run little effort was required prior to cutting the first taper in the center of both flywheels. After a close inspection and over to the surface plate for accurate measurements I determined that the end mill was not ground properly causing the big end of the taper to bell mouth out a few thousandths. More trouble,,, .

With a call placed to my good friend Leo I gathered the flywheels and shafts hopped in the Lincoln and ran over to Leo's. Leo is one of the best toolmakers I know. After he sold his shop and retired he found sitting still was not his forte. So he started a back yard tool makers dream with all the trickest tooling and some great machines.

We set up his Parker Magestic I.D. O.D. grinder by swiveling the head around to I.D. and mounting the 10" magnetic chuck on the work head. Inspected the set up mounted the flywheel on the face of the magnetic chuck indicated it to perfection set the 5 inch sine attachment to 6 degrees (.522 gauge block build up) and lightly dusted the taper in both flywheels to clean up.

Next is to machine the tapers in the crank pin location. I will inspect the taper of the end mill in a whirly jig mounted on a sine plate. If ok I may re-use the end mill, back it out of the hole .2" where the flutes appear to be within tolerance and go for it.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-18-2010, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Outsourcing problems

The flywheel project turns out to be more difficult than planed. Problem is, the cutter grinder did not get close with either cutter and they both appear to have been run on separate set ups as they are not a matched set. Once the primary cuts were completed on the flywheel I checked the crank pin fit and found it to be lacking. Moving over to the surface plate for a close inspection of the tapered e-mill several discrepancy turned up with these cutters.

In need of forward progress I turned to the front fork (no pun intended). My lower bearing race for the fork stem was found to be unacceptable. Wouldn't you know it I found a brand new one in the Okuma actually three of them. They just need to go out for heat threat, I will send them out when the main shafts are finished as they are the same material and will get the same case hardening process.

Cory is having some difficulties with his new computer. Perhaps if all goes well he can post some photos for us tonight. Surfacing grinding the flyweels flat and parallel, I.D. grinding the tapers in the center of the flywheels, inspection on the surface plate with all kinds of tools incorporated in the setup and finally everybody's hero for a Waueson weekend Carl Estes with his earned checkered flag while sitting on his all new highly modified champion J model Board Track Racer.
      Joe
      Last edited by Slojo; 07-18-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rwm View Post
        cory helping joe with his new highspeed
        Its Cory's turn to tune in his receiver.
        Joe

Comment

• Got any pictures in heap big smoke? All that was previously signalled is lost!!! Cleared a spot in the mailbox should be good to go.........
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Hey!!! I did salvage these ones.....

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• In my panic to arrive at the Wauseon meet ASAP I inadvertently left my charge card at the gas station just north of the event. This privately operated Marathon station does not have pumps with the charge card slot so you must give the attendant at the cash register your card for them to turn the pump on. I then filled up my 48 EL and drove off.

Today three days later I realized the card was missing. First I had to trace back to where it was last used, ah the gas station in Wauseon. A search on the computer found the following information. A phone call to the store found these fine people to be helpful saying they will mail the card to me right away. This store and it's employes are motorcyclist friendly. Remember them next year they are about a mile or two north of the fair grounds right on 108.
              Joe

Steve's Carry Out in Wauseon, Ohio (OH)
              Name: Steve's Carry Out
              Street: 10085 Oh-108
              Postal address: 43567- 9525 Wauseon, OH
              Phone: (419) 335-2309

Comment

• I'm a little slow here lately but here's the last batch.....

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• Blood red

More chasing my tail today. I did get a new 6 degree cutter for the flywheels. This time it is a straight flute end mill (not spiral or helix) and it worked. The crank pin then was reground to finish tapers length. Otherwise most of today was spent taking care of customers needs and dealing with one lying cop.

The pin striper came and went today this time he left some stripes behind. He will return tomorrow to finish the frame and fork. I think he is bleeding himself to get the rich red striping fluid and he can't purge to much precious bodily fluids per day.

Ops Cory how did you get the Lilacs ?
                  Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post

Ops Cory how did you get the Lilacs ?
                    Joe
                    Don't know they just appeared........... Pretty though ain't they???

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Long day, can't wait for tomorrow

Charge card came back in the mail today, Problem solved. I wish all my issues were solved that easy.

All day today was spent on the road at two customers (replaced a spindle in one machine and reset some parameters in the other), the paint shop, the bearing store, the painter's house, finally, back home in the barn to finish making the pre H.T. turned and woodruff key slotted sprocket shafts. The new steel is difficult to machine. This Quadco XR steel should be that same material and pre-heat treat condition, something is different. Once back from heat treat it will make no difference to the grinding wheel.

For tomorrow, make a few pinion shafts, a drop off at the heat treat shop, pick up at the platters and a spindle on the bench to be rebuilt. If there is enough time I will attempt to finish the taper in the second flywheel's crank pin taper hole.

The pin striper finished the frame and fork today, next he will strip the fenders and tanks after the painter finishes painting them. I was told maybe Friday on the fenders and oil tank/tool-box. The gas tank is still bare steel, all else is near complete or completed.
                      Joe
                      Last edited by Slojo; 07-21-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Now if it was me at this stage of such a project ( dream about it!) it would be exactly the time I came to realize I had forgotten to add a certain bracket or some other f**k up!
                          Man, that bike is going to be something!!

Comment

• Sub Assemblies

Barry
                            Look at the frame/luggage rack tabs, not forgotten.

A fresh load of parts came back from the platters today, they are sharp. I paid extra to have the threads masked off so the plating wouldn't alter thread pitch diameters prohibiting parts from fitting together. It did not work, the plating seeped past the masking and attached to the first thread of each part causing items to no longer fit together.

My oversized intake manifold nuts would not fit together at all. After a couple hours working the mating parts with fine lapping compound they finally gave in and operate together perfectly. At a cost of valuable time and new, fresh finish on the hex surfaces.

The sprocket shafts and pinion shafts are off the Okuma and ready to go to heat treat along with the fork bearing cones.

The intake manifold and the front wheel are now complete sub assemblies. The Schebler carb, seat, rear wheel and floor boards are in progress as are other sub assemblies.

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                              Now if it was me at this stage of such a project ( dream about it!) it would be exactly the time I came to realize I had forgotten to add a certain bracket or some other f**k up!
                              Man, that bike is going to be something!!
                              Exactly!!!

Joe it's got to be frustrating when you spend so much time getting things perfect and a sub-contractor comes along and has you nearly start over again!!! You're getting there though man!!!

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• nail polish works real good on the threads before plating.after plating just wipe it off with thinner
                                http://www.alliedplating.com/store.asp?pid=18390
                                rob ronky #10507
                                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                                X