X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhinebeck cannonballers

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Looks Like Frank is the only one with the proper equipment in Hand !!
      he denied the Helicopter man

Comment

• Storming

Not just on the bike project, the weather has shut me down for two days with electrical storms and loss of power. I have focused all my effort possible twords finishing this bike in a timely fashion. Avoiding every thing other than customer work (still have to pays the bills). "This ain't no disco this ain't no fooling around" its all long hours of work without extra curriculum activities.

Two days without power I still managed to refrained form riding today in the perfectly calm sunny day after yesterdays powerful storm. Never in my past have I avoided ridding like I have this year.

The connecting rods I have are to wide for this application so its on to plan B.
        I am currently evaluating the intake manifold and nipples that screw into the cylinder for possible upgrades to match the rest of the modified induction system.

My new valve pockets are near ready for production. The program and devolvement of the interior of the pocket has taken more time than expected......again. The interior of the pockets are fashioned around certain limitations yet appear more like a contemporary intake port including unique streamlines to simplify the production process.

Rotating the valve pocket one can see the interior cam like ramp that re-directs the air flow through the back side of the port in order to achive greater intake velocity. Hopefully this will assist the Gray Ghost in cresting the pinnacle of the mountain passes that Victors trusty steed could not manage.

The restricted area directly below the valve is 89% of the valve size, a proven formula for proper flow. Directly below the restriction my port design expands the bore diameter of the pocket to form a venturi. The inner stem finish profile is completed with a 3/8 ball nose end mill. The cutter that forms the back side venturi is a 3/8 ball only, with a reduced shank allowing forming shapes on the back side of the tool's ball like radius. The program which I have developed for this operation is interesting and easily tunable to achive engineering changes through the use of variables.

In order to simplify the valve seat area and still have a proven formula for the seat I plotted out valve grind angles and determined they followed a simple radius of about .2". With the radii placed in a strategic location. every thing fell into place. I will finish the seat with a slight dress for the 45 degree contact point and leave the radii alone.

A couple photos and videos will be posted.
        Joe

Comment

• Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
            What's the story on the belt-drive Lonnie? Cool bike.......!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• cory
              that is jon szalay's cannonball bike - 1912 ( if I remember correctly ). jon is holding the bike

I got to see it running around rhinebeck - on its maiden voyage none the less

way to go jon

aka HAWG
              Last edited by aka HAWG; 06-20-2010, 06:26 AM.
              1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
              1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
              1940 indian chief military
              1965 sportster xlch
              1969 sportster xlch bobber
              1971 bsa A65 chopper
              1969 harley ss350 sprint
              1960 harley topper
              1963 harley topper
              H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
              H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
              1949 harley model 125 bobber project
              1959 harley model 165
              1960 harley super 10
              1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
              EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

• Port Timing

If you want to run as fast as the others you must do what they are doing, otherwise "you can go your own way" and live with the results.

My intake valve pocket/ports are ready to run, I have made several prototype aluminum ports and the last port looks good. Now the timing of the port has become more challenging than originally thought. The pitch diameter is critical as well as the bottoming shoulder in relationship to the start point of the thread.

Holding these dimensions is easy with the Okuma now here is where the problem comes in. Harley did use an Okuma to make their cylinders back then (they do now). The tolerance of the valve pocket threads in the cylinders are not matching so the timing gauge that I made works in one cylinder and not the other.

I will need a 1 7/8X18 tap to correct the inconsistency's in pitch diameter or make an additional gauge and a pair of mismatched pockets. The pockets will not exchange between cylinders anyway due to the timing. A good tap to clean the threads would be nice. In the past I have made a tap for such situations but that is time consuming.
                Joe

Comment

• The above photo of Jon's Cannonball bike is a 1911 H D single belt drive. Jon has built his bike from the ground up and has plans on adding a rear fender. Afterwards Jon will be going through the machine preparing it for the big event.
                  Joe.

Comment

• Change of Hats

Today was a day full of phone calls, then a road trip to perform as the Okuma Repair Dude. I had to replace a gib in an Okuma Lathe X axis B turret. Gibs require hand scraping to fit, this is one of those old world traditions that still has to be done by hand. I do have a hand held power scraper, just have not come to terms with it.

Several phone calls funneled me to a company in Florida that custom manufactures taps to your requirements. So a tap will be sent overnight this week. Word is, it might be thread ground and sent today. They must have tap blanks already made and ready to be ground on a moments notice. Once the new tap arrives I will rethread the cylinders, complete the valve pockets and move on to the next project. More on this operation when I see how well they perform.
                    UPS arrived with a package of 1 1/2" hex stock. I have waited a month for this material to show. This hex stock will produce the nuts to hold the rocker arm towers in the valve pockets. I look forward to the break these easily produced parts will provide.

My tools, materials and electric bill will go through the roof this month. If you include my time (not to mention the shop) it certainly would be less expensive to buy these parts new old stock....... if they were still available.
                    Joe

Comment

• Calm BeforeThe Storm

Things may appear slow lately, productivity is at a standing point of resistance. Behind the scene is a whole different story. I delivered another part for paint to Rob Forester (Little Rock) a long time friend and painter who now has most everything ready for paint, he is doing a good job (watch the rivets on the sheet metal). The first batch of Nickel plating should be finished Thursday , and of all things I have a special tap in my hand.

Another road trip today , another Okuma up and running. The return trip was interesting. A stop at Lunar Industries to pick up my pedal crank arm and drop off more sprockets. I had Lunar pick out the corners of the crank arm triangle with the wire EDM machine, another fine job by the guys at Lunar.

I received a call this morning from Phil at M.A. Murvay (Warren Mi. Metro Detroit area tool supply tell Phil I sent you 586-754-5500 ) He says the 1 7/8 X 18 plug tap came in this morning come get it. That was fast it was just yesterday the tap was a figment of my imagination. It would appear the manufacturer in Florida has tap blanks on their shelf and when an order comes in all they have to do is set up the thread grinder and grind the thread to the customers specs then leave it to U.P.S. for overnight shipping to the distributor. It really was that easy. I will order a 7/16 X 18 tap tomorrow for the floor board frame stud nuts.

When I picked up the tap I knew this store was a real tool store. First, there was no signs of a computer on the desk. It reminded me of the first trip to the auto parts store when I was a kid, the ole guy at the counter knew what you needed without a computer or a parts book. Just grab a box off the shelf, blow the dust off and hand over the part.

Finally a trip to Greg's Norton Triumph shop where you can get your Ducati fixed not your Norton or your Triumph. Greg will mount my tires first week of July once the paint is dry on the rims. Greg has a no touch tire mounting machine and does a nice job without breaking a sweat.
                      Joe

Comment

• Joe,

You are building one fantastic "special" in the "Gray Ghost." Both antique and modern at the same time. I wonder if you are the first to tackle such a proposition? I'll bet it does conquer the mountains!
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Thunderstorms

Must have been the electricity dispersed through the atmosphere enlightening my thought process.

Last night was constant thunderstorms again. Lightning sticking trees falling over tornado warning I thought it was time for Dorothy to drop in. I could not operate machines in this electrical storm so it was off to the paper work. Preparations for intake manifold and mounting hardware are on the table.

The timing issue with the ports is now fully understood. It came to me while driving down the road. I will be required to change my Z Zero set slightly greater than 1.625 inches by an even multiple of the reciprocal of the thread pitch. In other words 18 threads per inch is the thread pitch (or leed) the reciprocal of that is 1/18 which equals .0555. This will time my thread point to the exact leed location relative to the machines C axis zero set.

Since the part is 1.5" long the cutoff tool is .125 " The sum of the two is 1.625" and taken the reciprocal of the thread leed, 1/18 =.0555. 1.65/.0555 results in 29.7 threads in the over all length an even quantity of threads will be 30. So 30 x .0555 is 1.6667' or the new value of my Z axis zero set shift after each part comes off the bar. Shewww, did you get all that?
                          Joe
                          Last edited by Slojo; 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• qu sloj0: "It came to me while driving down the road." end qu

driving like that gets me in trouble.
                            NO TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!
                            and shut that dam radio off!

Comment

• Hey Phil
                              Why the damn radio?
                              Joe

Comment

• I saw a 1914/1915 transmission on eBay today if anybody needs one.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X