Clear All

• Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• Bugged

Finishing already started projects was the agenda for the day. The rocker towers are labor intensive once off the machine so these were my first project for the day, milling, grinding, fitting and polishing.
        Next was to make the nuts for the floor board/frame studs that hold the floor board brackets to the bike. These nuts are 11/16" X.28" 7/16X18 thread. A tap to thread this has not been located so I chamfered, back side washer/faced and cut off these without threading them. I will single point the thread in these nuts later.
        The fuel line and carburetor have been on my mind so first the brass ends for the fuel line were made. These were done on the Okuma why the Okuma? because it was there. About an hour and a half later a small quantity of these parts were finished, not so bad in the timing. It sure was nice working with brass clean and easy to cut.
        The brass nut from the fuel line to float bowel fitting is also a special thread 7/16X27 this is currently ready to run on the Okuma with only one simple correction to be made in the threading portion of the program.
        Oh it would appear that some espionage is taking place at the shop. After the completion of the day, lights out and door shut I noticed at the corner of a window a green L.E.D. flashing. This sparked some interest, potential fire hazard? I looked into it and found the source of the problem is my ole friends the Lightning Bugs, their back. These characters are entertaining, fascinating to watch.
        I will post a short operation on the Okuma to You Tube making the brass fitting for the fuel line. A couple photos to follow also look close for the bug traveling up the wall.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvo4-6I1nfo
        Joe
        Last edited by Slojo; 06-05-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Looks like a cockroach to me - maybe he had a small flashlight, perhaps sending you morse code in an attempt to communicate.

Seriously, absolutely superb work Joe!
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

• Jo-Gar, you're an inspiration! I just don't know how dangerous that is, though. Should I be inspired to spend all the set-up exercise with my 48" pipewrench on the old junk lathe and mill? or go buy some more modern equipment, and steal from myself some more (instead of spending time at more lucrative things, ie, the income-generating work)? .. Ever feel like a kid sneakin' away from his chores, or homework? Bet so, cuz I love it that way too!

Comment

• Lookin' good Joe, Just curious, what keeps the rocker towers from rotating? just the nut?...Mike

Comment

• after looking at what Joe is building and what Victor did on that old banger I predict the pack will be holding Joe back if it is not some sort of race. If it is a race Is 500 miles a day out of the question for the Grey Ghost?

Comment

• Lonnie
                    My Morse code is a little week but I think the bug said you are B.S.ing me with his green LED.

Phil
                    We are here but once and making money is not all I want to do. Having fun is more important some times, go for the gusto. I have been neglecting many of my responsibilities lately to focus on just one thing the 14 Gray Ghost. Many of us including you are getting to that ripe age where we may not have enough good times left in us so start enjoying yourself now before its to late.

Mike
                    Yes the nut is all that prevents the rocker towers from rotating. They are not influenced by any primary twisting load to induce rotational forces.

Barry
                    Don't fool yourself that "Old Banger" that Victor rode is probably a much finer machine than its rusty outward appearance would lead you to believe. Victor had three years in preparation for this event. He is no fool, that machine was well prepared. Hopefully I will be as successful as he was, what an event he put on for us.
                    Joe
                    Last edited by Slojo; 06-06-2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Fuel day

Fuel delivery is on my mind. The rest of the fuel line parts are now fabricated and ready for silver solder, lead solder typically fails on fuel lines. The nut that holds the fuel line to the float bowl is a 9/16" hex with a 7/16X27" thread and the nuts that holds the fuel line to the dirt traps off the gas tank are 10mm x 1, strange.

Next was to address the carburetor. I have a few carcasses to chose from none complete or totally wonderful. Can you keep a secret? I will be using a one inch throttle body in place of a three quarter throttle body. This will work well with the factored intake lift. The one inch Schebler should go unnoticed as it is identical to the smaller brother with a little more pulmonary capabilities to help me up those big hills Victor failed with. Keeping up with all those 15 twin three speeders will be difficult especially if (since?) they are hotroded.

Look at those tiny carb parts they are more like watch parts. I thought of what it would take to remake those little parts and figured I could if necessary. Its all in the cutting tools and set up, tool center height is critical work holding next and spindle speed would be through the moon. Off with the eight inch chuck and on with a 5C collet system.

FLOATS
                      What did Victor use for a float? Who has a good float available that holds up to the alcohol of today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny2YPp09Z8
                      Joe
                      Last edited by Slojo; 06-06-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Victor would likely reply to the float question on the Cannonball Forum... either that or ask Dave Kafton.......I'm betting he knows...........

Hey!! look at all them spare parts...

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• floats

I would think Cotten of Liberty Cycle 309/246-3509 and I know he is on the list.

Comment

• [QUOTE=c.o.;96804]

Joe,
                            Wouldn't it be more time saving if you made some overlay sprockets to put on when ya get to the mountain country? Slap on the sprocket and a couple more chain links and you are running again.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                              after looking at what Joe is building and what Victor did on that old banger I predict the pack will be holding Joe back if it is not some sort of race. If it is a race Is 500 miles a day out of the question for the Grey Ghost?
                              I don't know about this modern Cannonball event, but in the old days no matter what they intended or called it, it ALWAYS turned into a race!
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======
                              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• You Are Right Herb, Of Course It'll Be A Race !

Comment

Working...
                                X