!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the dust

Back from the drivers seat and into the captain's chair. A trip half way around the world it seams like landed a, ......... wait....... wait........You guessed it, a pair of lovely cylinders for my !914 (ararar) twin HD Gray Ghost cannonballer motor-sickle. I am taking a short dinner break and heading back into the shop to finish the setup and program for my intake valve pockets. Details at 11:00
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• damn paparazzi

drivers seat,captains seat or trailer seat?

rob ronky #10507
        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Chris
          I can only guess that overlay sprockets are installed on the existing sprocket as I have seen in the past on dirt bikes and racers, if so I will look into the idea, thank you.

Herb
          Where have you been? out of power? Competition is bred into us so I must agree the competitive nature will present itself throughout the rally.

Lonnie
          Another great photo, thanks for posting it here.

Barry
          Good to see you still hanging in for the ride here.

Rob
          Busted again, what can I say.

Comment

• After nearly 2200 miles including a visit to Rhienbeck N.Y. AMCA meet, Bob and Joanne's (my favorite secret hideout) and Dales Wheels Through Time Museum. The journey included three possible deals on cylinders for the Ghost. I landed a beautiful set of 14 cylinders at Dale's. One of the sets of cylinders turned out to be a 1917 set and the other was just a little week to take a chance for this big of an event.

A trip to Dale's Wheels Through Time Museum, where Dale offered a nearly perfect set of matched !914 cylinders. Only three cooling fins slightly damaged and bored out to plus ten thousandths (.010"). I could not have ever expected to find such a nice set of cylinders after all the time looking for them I had just about given up. Once again thank you very much Dale for making this event one step closer.

While at Dale's we did not have the opportunity to ride or work on bikes but we did move a lot of them around setting up a new exhibit now on display honoring the 75 anniversary of FDR's best gift to the American people and its visitors, The Blue Ridge Parkway. If you get a chance take the time to visit Dale and see his new display it is well worth the trip.

Today was consumed designing a new set of intake valve pockets. The program in the Okuma is nearly finished as is the tooling set up. I purchased a 12" bar of MS90 copper nickel alloy material to make these parts with. These busy intake valve pockets act as valve guides, valve seats, intake ports, combustion seals, rocker tower mounts, and valve spring perches. No chips flying yet although with the cost of this material a substitute material will be used to make my prototype part.
            Joe

Comment

• Hmmm... that Rob is quick with a snapshot ain't he? Glad to hear you scooped some cylinders Joe!

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Learning curves

While ridding, motor-sickle curves are more fun. This machine (Okuma) never gives up on new lessons for me. I am constantly learning more about it as I go along. Problem is it slows me down in the curves while I figure out its handling peculiarities.

Today, back on the valve pocket. I finished the program and found a piece of aluminum to use as a prototype work piece, good thing because as usual "the first cut is the deepest". Not a bad part just not perfect. Which is ok because it will be used as a gauge for timing the ports on my new cylinders. The pre 1915 motors have intake ports that screw into the cylinders, causing for an alignment problem (port timing). 1915 and later cylinders have drop in pockets with a ring nut on top to hold the pocket in place.

The new aluminum valve pocket (once finished) can be installed into a cylinder checked for timing in degrees and a simple C axis zero set later the next port (made of a copper nickel alloy) will come out correct in the specific cylinder its aligned for.

After I calculate the coefficient of expansion on the valve pocket alloy verses the fine gray iron the cylinders are made of one dimension will be watched closely. This dimension is the upper sealing ring which on my new ports will have a top flange to offer a better seal. I won't tolerate vacuum leaks they cause poor idle, tuning and performance issues along with the possibility of torching a piston dome.
                Photo to follow.
                Joe
                Last edited by Slojo; 06-14-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• qu Joe: "piston dome." (?) what kind of a race is this? drag?

Comment

• Its late, I just finished my first good prototype valve pocket of two tries. The thread pitch is just a little under size as determined by measuring the pitch diameter over thread wires. This is a difficult task until you get accustomed to doing things with two hands that requires three. Photos will demonstrate thread pitch diameter measuring over wires, look close for three wires in the measuring process. A graphics display from the tail stock end view shows tracing of all the machine movements during the 23 minute machine cycle time.

A second operation to machine the back side is yet to be processed. The back end will be a breeze compared to the first operation. Take notice of the ramped back side of the port, this is done to increase air flow velocity in an obstructed area. The back side of the port is cam like in its formed geometry.

Phil
                      Once the valve pockets are completed pistons and rods will be next. The pistons will need to be ordered right away. Piston type and design is yet to be determined althou raising compression is unlikley. I do know the piston will look more sport bike like than trash can style. I just found a set of rods I made for a different project from years back if they will work in this motor I will use them. These rods will determine the piston pin location. If they fit the prerequisites I will need to finish bore and install races. The rods will need to go on a slight diet.

Today was full of road trips. First, Sun heat treat to pick up the frame, next, Production Tool for cutters and polishing equipment. Then off to Motion Industries for more sprockets, 33 and 34 teeth, right down the street from Motion was an ill Okuma calling my name. Finally to the painter to drop off the frame. Rob has half the parts in primer and should be in process this week on the rest. Rob has painted bikes (a lot of bikes) for me for about the last 25 years. I can count on him to get the job done.
                      Joe
                      Last edited by Slojo; 06-16-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Youch! The dreaded hammer thumb! I always like when it doesn't already hurt enough that you just have to smash it again!!!

Psychadelic Man!!

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory
                          The hammer thumb is from a slight spill I took while ridding a trials bike over logs and ruff terrain. I should have washed my hands prior to taking the photo.
                          Joe

Comment

• Cool, Joe (Joe-cool?)
                            Hey Joe (that's Jimi Hendrix!) and all you other C-ballers out there, who's "soup" are you runnin'? If it's the best that money can buy, that'd be cheatin', wouldn't it?
                            Didn't mean to incite riot, just thinking of the fuel comments of Jerry Hatfield in one of his books, relative to the choice of side-valve over overhead valve by Indian in the late teens. He implied it was a greater matter than economy of manufacture. .. Run the best stuff anyway, Joe, I'll give you a pass. .. wish I had something to pass you with!

Comment

• hello joe, glad to see you got your cylinders. are the valve pocket unique per motor or will your !914 pockets fit the next guys !914?when you time them can't you just screw them in and spray paint in the intake and mill away the painted area of the pocket
                              rob ronky #10507
                              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

• Details

Phil
                                Good, you are paying close attention. No special soup for the Ghost my understanding, compression is so low octane is of no benefit.

Rob
                                I have the psychological need to utilize all the potential of this machine other wise I think the mind and machine are being wasted. This is a sickness that we all experience in some way or another. Some times you are your own worst enemy or most difficult customer, this is my case.

The ports I am making will fit 1911 doubles through !914 twins, I am unsure of the singles with rocker arms, 13 and 14 perhaps? My ports are highly modified, the interior pocket porting should flow better than any other port available. The interior of the port is timed to the entry of the pocket therefor the entire port must be timed to the prospective cylinder. Timing is not a difficult issue, I am opening the port to 120 degree plus cutter width span (about 130 degrees for conversation sake) the cylinder has an opening revealing about 110 degrees leaving a tolerance of about 20 degrees.

Once I am satisfied with my program (something I take a lot of pride in format, organization and control utilization) I will be able to produce these pockets to any angular degree by a simple C axis zero set change.

Rob your spray paint solution would work fine if the interior of the port was open like original pockets, not these.
                                I have made several improvements to all fascists of this operation. If I can get some time in the shop tomorrow a finish port should be ready for display. "Every picture tells a story, don't it" (Phil you paying attention?) tonight no pictures just a story.
                                Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X