No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i imagine that new ass end is going to be pretty strong.nice work.frames are my favorite . its really interesting to see how they were originally assembled.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Whenever one item is made stronger the next item becomes weaker. I always take this into consideration when modifying a structure of any kind. The tubing I used is thicker than the original but still tubular and flexible without the solid stiffener Harley used in their attempts to reinforce the original frame.
      Joe

Comment

• Framed again

The frame was still fixtured in the machining center today and it was time to get the machine work completed on this particular operation. The modified boring bar fit the operation and was rigid enough to give satisfaction while machining the finish bores for the rear frame legs. Following a photo illustrates the frame fixtured in the machine with two short pieces of tubing set in the newly bored holes for the rear frame section.
        Since the two holes were machined in the frame to an exact depth. I decided to make another set of frame rails for this bike. The new set will be made as the others just when bending the tubing there will be a positive stop for the end of the frame rail to locate off. This will perfect the location while bending so both legs are within a couple thousands from each other. Aim for perfection and you will get the closest thing to perfection possible. Sometimes I think this perfection thing is a sickness, yet I know that the frame itself is such an abstract structure it is difficult to make perfect. The best thing is to aspire for perfection and be satisfied with the end results. Frame work is like working with spaghetti.
        The photo displaying the bending fixture has an newly made adapter secured to the end of it for a positive stop this adapter was made from a piece of scrap steel that already had the shape required to make it fit the application with just a little machine work. Another photo displays the newly made frame rails inserted into the frame while on the frame table.
        Joe 1-14-2010

Comment

• Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
            1914 was the first year for this part,and in 1915 they changed it.it was used in several forms for decades.
            I FOUND ONE OF THESE IN THE BARN AND JUST PUT IT ON EPAY . MAYBE SOMEONE CAN USE IT FOR A PATTERN AND START MAKING THEM IF THE DEMAND IS SO HIGH.

Comment

• A big "atta boy", Joe. Although much of what you're doing here is as foreign to me as algebra and trig were in high school, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy following your pursuit of perfection in every post. Gives me something to do on these cold winter nights here in Maine. One doesn't have to understand the inner workings of mechanical and fabrication talent to recognize it's genius. Can't wait to read and view each new 'chapter'. You're an inspiraton to us all, especially those of us who struggle with mundane maintenance repair work. Following this brings back such fond memories of my father. A self-trained mechanic who was just as comfortable working on a D9 dozer as he was working on my mother's washing machine. There wasn't much he couldn't diagnose and repair. A pity this apple fell so far from that tree. Good luck, and can't wait to see all of you on the road in Sept.
              AMCA 15783

Comment

• fea

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                Whenever one item is made stronger the next item becomes weaker. I always take this into consideration when modifying a structure of any kind
                It is too bad there is no one with time/tools to do a finite element analysis of the frame. I don't.
                It is amazing to me how the mind, when pressed, does a great substitution for available technology. Joe is at the top of my "intuitive engineer" list.
                Keep it up Joe!
                chas

Comment

• Northwoods, and Charlie
                  No better compliment could have been offered.
                  I always look up to my father, Northwoods for you to compare me to your father perhaps the pinnacle mentor in your life is to kind. Both you and Charlie have honored me with your kind words and I will do my best to earn them. There is an abundance of work left and the final proof, the ultimate ride required prior to these comments are validated.
                  “It is amazing to me how the mind, when pressed, does a great substitution for available technology. Joe is at the top of my "intuitive engineer" list”
                  Charlie "intuitive engineer" list, to cool thank you. Sometimes meeting the many challenges before me are as good as than the final rewards of achievement.
                  Joe

Comment

• It's a very good thing that you are doing by taking all of us through your build Joe. I can just imagine the satisfaction level as this project progresses. It will all be worth it when you leave the starting line at Kitty Hawk in September!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Taps (for an ol soldier)

This weekend was spent replacing my trusty friend of many years. His name was Kodak yes my digital camera died just when the 1914 project was to get back to normal I inadvertently bumped the camera and deformed the frame around the LCD screen which caused the screen to fracture and fail. Really I don’t know how what or when the damage occurred. Two days and four stores later a new Sony camera has come into my life with a ten day return policy, humm,…… better that any guarantee you get at the altar (thinking thinking thinking) I’ll take it.
                      Battery installed first and nothing so charging seemed to be the prudent thing to do. While charging I should have been reading the instruction manual, we all know how that goes … kind of like asking for directions at a gas station or party store. Instead I did what many of you are doing here, looked to what others are doing.
                      My friend Jerry the X man sent me a link to Paul Brodies web site. http://www.flashbackfab.com/pages/excel01.html. Paul has recreated a running 1919 X overhead cam board track racer and does he have a great story to go with it. His bike has been seen at some of the AMCA events and I believe he ran it on the Davenport track a couple years ago.
                      Now, falling behind on this project efforts must be made to make up for lost time the past month has not been to productive with all the set back one can run into on such a project. The idea is not to get bogged down and to move on. Tomorrow if Sony and I can work together we will attempt to bring some video to this article. Kodak was just about to do that when he gave up the (Gray) Ghost. Enough said see you tomorrow.
                      Joe

Comment

• Joe....... Paul did an amazing job on his '19 OHC replica. He's built a couple of them now. I was in Davenport when Pete's green version was debuted. It hit the track but had a few bugs so wasn't very competitive. Jim Wall and his Indian took the show but I hear that's pretty much an annual thing.......

I'm looking forward to video footage of the '14 build...... that will be pretty darn cool!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Well, now that the kids are temporarily finished, it is time for me to step back up to the plate and show some productivity on the 1914 cannonballer project. I really enjoyed their 45”project. Let’s hear it for Private Ryan, for showing us he can and will build this bike. Now the real hero’s, Matt and Carl as they have lost a month of their production while bringing Ryan into their world and ours and teaching him some great lessons that he will take with him for a life time. My hat is off for all three of these fine gentlemen good show, good job.
                          Today the muffler bracket had to be salvaged from the old frame rails so a simple set up was made to mill away the old frame tubing left behind. Sometimes all it takes is a couple clamps and some basic rigging and a setup is made good enough for a one off machine operation. It does not always have to be pretty just functional.
                          A video was also made tonight of the machining operation that produces the frame rail with the oval tapered section. I will try to put it on U-Tube and create a link to this article latter.
                          The newly manufactured frame rails were installed into the frame and they fit perfectly, although the rear axle plate and upper frame rails will require a little adjusting for proper horizontal alignment of the axle.
                          Now that the frame is nearing completion and other modified parts are finished I thought it was time to photo all the unused original pieces of the frame, fender and scrap material left over from the frame rail manufacturing process.
                          The new camera works ok although it is set for twelve mega pixels and I overlooked this detail while taking photos tonight. Sending these photos to Cory for posting caused some problems hopefully they will make it to the article.
                          Joe 1-18-2010

Comment

• after a bit of a hiccup here goes.........

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Last edited by c.o.; 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• You faithful followers of this project are gonna love this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp75ps_bWIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvU0vjjF1q0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YzcG...eature=channel
                                Last edited by c.o.; 01-19-2010, 12:02 AM.
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X