X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9. Painted silver
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Man, how did I overlook *that* since we had just been talking about it!
      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Paint is paint regardless of color.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
          Man, how did I overlook *that* since we had just been talking about it!
          Since you are counting types or colors of paint - cylinders are hi heat silver.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

What is the correct finish on the small bracket attached to the right side of the trans to provide support to the battery box?

Also the finish on the bracket for the right side passenger foot peg?

Mine are both trashed, but were at one time painted silver. I can't distinguish the correct finish in black and white photos.

My best guess after some coercion with a wire brush is that the trans to battery box bracket was black, and the footpeg bracket was natural.

Anybody?

Comment

boy it would be nice to have the parts book say in it what the finish was for each year of a part

or an extra book printed to do the same. I have a 50 pan and am trying to use palmers for everything I can but it's all not there so I'm sure I'll be asking the same as you are. as a matter of fact not stealing your thread but anyone know where to get good pictures of a 50 pan
              Moose
              aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
                What is the correct finish on the small bracket attached to the right side of the trans to provide support to the battery box?

Also the finish on the bracket for the right side passenger foot peg?

Mine are both trashed, but were at one time painted silver. I can't distinguish the correct finish in black and white photos.

My best guess after some coercion with a wire brush is that the trans to battery box bracket was black, and the footpeg bracket was natural.

Anybody?
                65 Passenger footpegs were cadmium plated. Bracket was painted black.

Last edited by rbenash; 06-28-2009, 05:55 AM.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

Great. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                    65 Passenger footpegs were cadmium plated. Bracket was painted black.

Someone was really in love with that chrome wire wrap!
                    Dave Swanson
                    1956 FLH
                    1969 FLH
                    1964 XLCH
                    1956 KHK
                    1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

• Please tell me that wasn't stock anywhere. The little bit of it I found on mine was so brittle that it crumbled to the touch.

Comment

• Definitely not stock. I hate that stuff. Owner previous to my father loved it though, as you can tell. PIA when you want to get at something especially when it's old. Breaks off every 1/2 inch when trying to remove it.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

• The bracket is cad plated on my 65. Bought the bike from the original owner in Oct of 70, a strawberry farmer in Aromas, CA. Can't imagine he would go out of his way to change the color of the bracket.

Comment

• Which bracket, Panz ?

My battery box support from the trans was probably black originally.

My right passenger footpeg support seems to have been natural, or maybe cad.

Comment

• Sorry for the screw up ...was looking at the pic and thinking about the footrest support bracket. Footrest bracket is as you say either natural/cad? finish. The bracket off the top of the tranny cover to the battery box is black as is the small plate supporting the starter motor (on mine at least)

Comment

• What is this "natural" finish you refer to?
                                The footpeg bracket is cadmium plated.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X