No announcement yet.

65 FLH King of the Highway fit and finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for the confusion, guys, and thanks for all the help.

I'm still getting used to what aged cad plating looks like, and don't always pick up on the (to my eye) subtle differences between the various finishes when looking at black and white photos.

After massaging the foot peg bracket with a wire brush to remove the silver paint someone had previously applied, I couldn't tell if it had originally been plated, or was "natural" like the trans and motor cases.

At least the battery box support plate had black paint under the silver, and rust and/or some sort of red primer under that.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

• The engine and transmission cases are aluminum and can be and were left bare metal, Steel parts are either painted, Parkerized or plated because if you left them bare metal they would rust.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Gotcha. As you've already deduced, metallurgy is not my strong suit.

Comment

• Getting close to being able to finally assemble and test ride my project.

It's still a few parts short of a "restoration", so I'll call it a "resurrection" for now, since it's in some ways like the Phoenix.

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed information and suggestions. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before the first ride, but not many.

Chris, Rooster, paps, "panz", flat-happy, Ray, and everyone else who pitched in... THANKS for the input. The end result will be 100% better than it started out to be, and/or is at the present stage several years earlier than I might have done alone.

Comment

• thank you for the mention---i like to help as much as i like to restore. difference is i can always afford to help. can't afford to restore much these days

Comment

• Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
              Getting close to being able to finally assemble and test ride my project.

It's still a few parts short of a "restoration", so I'll call it a "resurrection" for now, since it's in some ways like the Phoenix.

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed information and suggestions. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before the first ride, but not many.

Chris, Rooster, paps, "panz", flat-happy, Ray, and everyone else who pitched in... THANKS for the input. The end result will be 100% better than it started out to be, and/or is at the present stage several years earlier than I might have done alone.
              Happy to have helped in any way. The price is that you have to post some pics of the completed project!
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

• Back again, guys...

I'm dealing with an aftermarket headlamp nacelle which does not have the holes for the turn signal "pilot lamps" (rider side indicators), so it will have to be drilled.

I *do* have the NOS pilot lamps courtesy of Bill's, so I'm good there.

Could one of you guys who has an OEM headlamp nacelle kindly tell me the size and location of the hole for the pilot lamps? (e.g. X inches from the top and X inches from the inner edge of the nacelle to the center of the hole)

Thanks in advance. Getting down to the tiny details.

John

Comment

• anybody got the info requested above?

Comment

• Mine's not local so can't measure for you or I would. I.E. - at the rebuilder. Apologies.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

• Thanks, Ray... I'm sure somebody will chime in with the info

Comment

• I have mine off the bike right now. I made a note and will take measurements tonight.
                        John Underwood
                        AMCA#14400
                        Central Illinois

Comment

• Hey UD - stop teasing and post some pics of that B&W 65!
                          Ray
                          AMCA #7140

Comment

• Great, UD... thanks very much in advance!

Comment

• from my 65 2 1/4 by 2 inches. see photo...
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Cool. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X