Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rub View Post
    Ray,
    Like I said , lots of '65s appear to have chrome pipes and most likely always were. The dual exhaust system was always all chrome. The single system as fitted to police and utility units had painted header pipes with chrome flex covers. But there are known exceptions to both configurations!
    Robbie
    Very interesting point regarding dual vs single exhaust systems. Both of the 65 FLH's that I'm talking about had all of the chrome groups as well as the KOTH group upon purchase from the dealer. Including the compensating sprocket access plug in the primary.

Is there really a difference in terms of painted versus chrome from the factory if a 65 FLH was ordered with full chrome groups and KOTH? I am assuming that meant dual exhaust system.

Chris - when you show the factory photo's are those painted pipes on a single or dual exhaust system? Was there a difference in terms of finish or plating? Would be good to know.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
      Including the compensating sprocket access plug in the primary.
      Huh? Now what did I miss?
      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Nothing really. Some '65 FLH's have a small plug in the Primary cover for access to lubricate the compensating sprocket. If you don't have a cover with that plug I wouldn't worry about it.

Here's a picture of my original (original was polished by the first owner) during teardown. Replacing it with an NOS I bought in Oley about 10 years ago during reassembly.

Chris probably has a factory pic

Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

Welp, another tidbit I never knew. I've got two 65s, and neither has that plug in the primary cover.

I'm amazed at how much I've learned just in the month or two I've been on this forum.

Comment

If you don't have it but the cover is original, you probably don't need to worry about it. If you are restoring a '65 you probably aren't near done AFA finding "little unique things" and "big" this year/model is loaded with firsts and lasts and other rarities when it comes to parts and little things that are correct/not correct for the year.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Another thing about '65's. The screen for the lifters was on the early models, disappeared during mid production, the reappeared for the late production.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I picked it for its uniqueness and collectibility based on the many firsts and lasts, but all these other little quirks are definitely a trip. You guys have been a wealth of information, and what started as a "fix it and ride it" project is quickly becoming an obsession to get it all correct, mainly because of all the additioinal detailed information I've gotten here on the forum.

Comment

Arrrggghhh ... I'm starting to feel like a real dunce.

The former owner of this bike was, I know, quite liberal with spray cans of touchup paint, so I can't tell which fasteners came from the factory with the heads painted black, and which got "touched up" along the way. All have the paint partially scratched off, so it could go either way.

Seems like anything that bolts a black part to the frame would use a black fastener, but that might be too logical, and what do I know...

Right now, I'm dealing with the handlebar clamp. Are the bolts that attach it from underneath supposed to be black? And also the two on top that pinch the clamp?

Thinking ahead, I will shortly have the same question about the brackets for the rear brake pedal/master cylinder and the one for the foot shifter apparatus, as well as the exhaust brackets. Black or cad bolts?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me.

Comment

Those bolts were parkerized if I'm thinking of the right ones. Others will keep me honest though.

I don't recall any bolts being painted. All of the hardware would have been mostly cadmium or parkerized.

You really should consider picking up a copy of this book if you haven't already. It's not going to have any specific section on the 65 Pan, but pretty much everything is covered up to 1964. It's an excellent reference, probably the best single book out there.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/howtoresyour.html
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

Thanks, Ray.

Palmer mentions that the 61-64 riser studs should be cad, but doesn't mention the pinch bolts. Plus he says nothing about 65.

Mine are cad, with a partially scuffed off coat of black paint, so I don't know if they were factory painted, or "touched up" by the former owner.

They do have the "CP" markings, so they must be the original, or at least correct, fasteners.
                      Last edited by JSB55; 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Here's mine (cadmium):

Side view:

Last edited by rbenash; 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Very frustrating that Palmer doesn't go into detail on a lot of things about the 65, and his Appendix that covers various finishes completely omits the 65.

And of course, some things just aren't visible, or it's impossible to tell parkerized from painted in a black and white photo.

But somebody on here knows the correct finishes, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
                            Very frustrating that Palmer doesn't go into detail on a lot of things about the 65, and his Appendix that covers various finishes completely omits the 65.

And of course, some things just aren't visible, or it's impossible to tell parkerized from painted in a black and white photo.

But somebody on here knows the correct finishes, I'm sure.
                            To many folks the 65 is a first year shovelhead

AFA parkerized or painted, in those photos I would venture to guess you would be safe to assume parkerized not painted black. Cadmium not painted silver would be typical. HD just didn't typically paint bolts. If there are any painted bolts from the factory back then, there would only have been a couple. I really don't think there were any that were painted.
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

I had picked up the idea that some were painted based on previous posts in this thread. And of course, nearly every fastener on mine had gotten hit with intentional paint or overspray when the previous own did his "touch ups".

So judging from your photo, the pinch bolts are cad, and the very large nut that holds the steering stem/triple tree together must have been natural finish, since yours is rusted.

All of those on mine had been painted black, so I guess it's time for the paint remover.

Thanks once again for everyone's help and patience.

Comment

I think it might be OK if you wanted to parkerize those parts after you removed the paint. Others with more experience with judging and what's allowed might know better. Otherwise yeah I would leave the paint off.
                                Ray
                                AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                                X