No announcement yet.

1965 Panhead Book Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidecar man here looking forward to 65 pan book to help me keep my bike correct. thank you.

Comment

• sidecar man here looking forward to 65 pan book to help me keep my bike correct. thank you.
      Don't hold your breath, the book seems to have died quietly or is on indefinite hold....
      A book like that is a huge undertaking and life tends to get in the way of best intentions. There has been no response from the prospective author in years. So only direct contact could answer the big question.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Maybe We all could chip in and start Our Own section on here with helpful hints and 65 pan facts to help each other out, have some photos and share info....I'm sure there are Very smart people who would help out.

Comment

• I've posted to threads in the past on '65. My resto is complete you can see various postings, etc. It's all pretty much covered. There will never be a book on '65 IMHO They are a biatch. And if you want to do one right you need to first understand how original yours is, not a simple task - really. Otherwise just fix it up and get it running. There are so many first/last/mid year changes that you really need to spend a LOT of time on a '65 resto. PM me to talk further. This is old ground. '65 is a great year to have - unless you are trying to get one back to original. It's a long hard road to get them right.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

• Originally posted by rbenash View Post
            I've posted to threads in the past on '65. My resto is complete you can see various postings, etc. It's all pretty much covered. There will never be a book on '65 IMHO They are a biatch. And if you want to do one right you need to first understand how original yours is, not a simple task - really. Otherwise just fix it up and get it running. There are so many first/last/mid year changes that you really need to spend a LOT of time on a '65 resto. PM me to talk further. This is old ground. '65 is a great year to have - unless you are trying to get one back to original. It's a long hard road to get them right.
            Thanks Ray, I will take you up on offer to talk with you about my 65, I don't want a nut and bolt correct 65 but just a great looking Period correct Bike that runs well and looks like it did in say 67 or 68 just a couple of years old, I have been down the road with my 71 Corvette LT1 car with people nit picking the 95% original car to death, not going to do this with the Pan. Also I'm going to Ride it I live in NJ and have Great roads to drive on....Thanks For your Help....Frank

Comment

• I bought an OP 65 recently. What is the consensus about grip color? The 3 factory 65 photos I've found show white grips. The photo I've found most often is a right side 3/4 front view showing a guy on the bike, and girl behind the front fender. My bike is configured like the machine in this photo, which looks like a King of the Highway package, but lacks the rear safety guards.
              VPH-D

Comment

• I would say originally your bike would have blue plastic grips.

Comment

• I thought that the color matched grips went out earlier than 65.
                  VPH-D

Comment

• Colored grips were part of the F-1 Chrome Finish Group that I think started in '58...usually match the bike main color. Could probably be ordered in any grip color available.

Comment

• Could be right, don't see them listed in F-1 after 1961 although the colored grips were still available after! I have seen an original 20 K Hi-Fi blue '65 with blue grips and many with white.
                      Last edited by upsrod; 09-29-2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• The white grips are what I'm seeing on the few factory photo I've found...
                        VPH-D

Comment

• I have never seen the new grips for that year in anything but black or white.

Comment

• Also in blue, white and black!...http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-HARLEY-D...7fdc9d&vxp=mtr

Comment

• The 62A grips were available in several colors other than black or white. However, I think these were 'over the counter' parts department sales, rather than an option on a new bike order form. I'm sure that if a customer wanted blue grips on his new 65, a dealer would have installed them prior to sale.
                              VPH-D

Comment

• So, you think they all left the factory in black?

Comment

Working...
                                X