No announcement yet.

1965 Panhead Book Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I think all 65s left the factory with black grips, but that doesn't explain the '65 factory photos showing white grips. I was hoping some of the 65 experts would share an opinion on this.
    VPH-D

Comment

• "All" 65s, VPH-D?

I seriously doubt there were any 'absolutes' of any year.
      Fellows who worked in the Factory in '65 have visited me, and when I asked about things like the nacelle indicator lights and such, the reply was that much of the final assembly was performed at the dealerships.

But that shoots the hell out of the AMCA's judging standards, doesn't it.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Yeah, Tom, that's what I think, however, I'm sure some left the factory with the red, white, and blue grips too. Your comment about "absolutes" is very accurate, too many enthusiasts are locking into thinking that all 55s had this cam cover, or what ever part you want to discuss. There was no "iron curtain " that descended to separate every part used on the last 58 from the first 59 model, and such. Older parts were used up prior to installation of a redesigned part, and not always in some precise order.
        When we took them out of the crate is when we found out about most of the running changes on new bikes. "Oh look, they changed the brake pedal." I think the only absolute rule to use as a guide on these things is that there ARE no absolutes...
        VPH-D

Comment

• When we took them out of the crate is when we found out about most of the running changes on new bikes
          When I took them out of the crate I remember thinking "this is as big a piece of crap as the last one..".
          I particularly remember sheet metal parts. Tanks with leaks, and when you attempted to repair them enormous globs of solder melting off.. NOS replacement fenders in primer with previous years paint jobs underneath. This was the '70s of course, so I can't say what they did in the '60s. Some presume to but those presumptions are based on hearsay so as with all things they are suspect. H-D was a small company in the grand scheme of things, they were also cheap, so very little went to waste. Unless of course it was paid by the government beforehand...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Robbie,
            My experiences were pretty similar to yours...
            VPH-D

Comment

• I put a 1965 left exhaust cover on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281824283121...84.m1555.l2649

Comment

• Just wanted to post to the "Book Thread" so it stays active. Keeping the '65's alive!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  "All
                  But that shoots the hell out of the AMCA's judging standards, doesn't it...Cotten
                  AMCA #765

Comment

• Just to keep the thread going. We've had a few discussions in the past on this thread and others on the pan head forum about which windshield top would be correct for '65 pointed or blunt. Based on all the info I have pointed is correct for '65 for judging and blunt would start for '66. But my opinion was that many '65 with the king of the highway group came with blunt later in production. I folded and replaced my original blunt top with a repop pointed version to regain a point for judging. Of course I saved the NOS blunt.

That said I just noticed in the new Palmer restoration books that he mentions in Volume 2 page 710 left column last paragraph:

"In 1967, the upper window of the Hydra-Glide windshield was changed from the slightly pointed top it had been since 1949 to a blunt top."

Be aware this might be error/errata in the Palmer books. Else - my blunt windshield was just fine as it was on my '65 :-)
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

• Ray,
                      Here it is from H-D themselves, part of the October '65 new model intro in "American Motorcycling".

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                        Yes, I think all 65s left the factory with black grips, but that doesn't explain the '65 factory photos showing white grips. I was hoping some of the 65 experts would share an opinion on this.
                        VPH-D
                        Too late now, but better then black or white on a blue bike. IMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HARLEY-D...vip=true&rt=nc

Comment

• Late response to the 1966 photo upthread from Rubone, sorry. So can't tell from that '66 model year photo definitively but looks like a peaked top? Or are my eyes failing??
                          Ray
                          AMCA #7140

Comment

• The factory photos that show the KoH group installed with red or blue paint typically show white grips I think.. will have a look.
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

• That looks like a "blunt" windshield to me and without the beading normally associated with the peaked ones although I see it on "blunt " ones as well. I have one just like it on my 64 but I know that isn't correct for 64. Would be interested to know about when the change was made to the "blunt " ones on 65's. I would assume very late in the production but any guess at to when or what serial numbers? Robbie or Ray do you have any more info you can share on this we have guys in the chapter that have OP 65's and 66's and I turned over the apple cart with the factory pic Robbie posted. Everyone is assuming Bruce was right in his book and that is obviously not correct any more.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                              AMCA#12766

Comment

• When Palmer's "How to" Second Edition is next reprinted (not likely earlier than 2017), the windshield's blunt upper window introduction date will be changed to 1966 from 1967 on page 710.

Robbie's 1966 ad clearly states a new windshield was available for 1966. Further narrowing down what the new windshield is made up of, is the 1966 Electra-Glide/Duo-Glide parts book supplement #99456-66. The only windshield change shown in the supplement is the introduction of "upper window" #58020-49A. The supplement also shows the new upper window was for the 1966 models and not earlier models. The same is true of the 1967 supplement. It is not until the 1968 catalog, is the blunt window shown to be a retrofit to shields back to 1949. Perhaps to give a period of time to sell out the pointed upper window #58020-49.

Happy New Year Y'all

Bruce

www.howtorestoreyourharley-davidson.com
                                www.howtorestoreyourmilitaryharley-davidson.com
                                Bruce Palmer III
                                AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X